Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zyxel NSA 320 wake on lan

Posted by wacek 
Re: Zyxel NSA 320 wake on lan
March 07, 2015 03:00AM
Hello tinkerer,

I know, this thread is old, but its about my issues: my NSA320 with Debian wheezy and bodhis Kernel 3.18 doesn`t inititialize it`s NIC correctly. It comes up and works, when i cold boot the box after i unplugged the powerplug AND the serial-to-USB interface is connected to my PC. It doesn`t come up, when i restart the machine with serial connection, and it also doesn`t come up from cold boot or restart without serial connection.

This behaviour is the same with DHCP or fixed address, and it doesn`t depend on the router or switch. I set up the original MAC in the uBoot environment via setenv ethaddr 50:67:f0.....

Earlier in this thread WarheadsSE wrote something about a relation between NIC and serial interface, but that didn`t help me to understand or solve the problem.

Anybody an ideas? I would be very happy.

BR

Jan

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 03:07AM by JanN.
March 07, 2015 03:25AM
JanN,

I'm going to release a new test version for NSA320 and NSA325 u-boot (2014.07) soon. WarheadsSE did mention some odd behaviour in that if you disconnect serial console, the NSA320 is not booting. But all that might be related to the stock u-boot quirk in USB power (I could be wrong).

I can't give any advice on stock u-boot. IMO, we should just ignore its problem and flash the latest version we can build.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 07, 2015 03:48AM
@bodhi

Many thanks for your fast reply :-)

Do you really think, the problem is related to the uBoot? Stock OS uses the same and gets the NIC initialized, so i think, it must be related with the envs and/or the OS. And booting works fine - i can shutdown the box with pressing the powerbutton - just no network ;-).

But if you want me to test the new uBoot, i`ll do it for the community and the science. I need 3.3V from the serial for that, right? So i have to open the Prolific-plug and solder the red wire to the other power-terminal...

BR
Jan
March 07, 2015 02:27PM
JanN,

> I need 3.3V
> from the serial for that, right?

No. Do not connect power to the serial port!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Dr. Dave K.
July 02, 2016 10:08AM
Try this ?!

1. Boot into Linux
2. Run:
rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
sync
boot
3. Stop uBoot from booting, so you get into the uBoot command line (if you accidently boot into Linux again, remove the rules file again!)
4. Run:
setenv ethaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
saveenv
reset (NOT 'boot'!)
5. Let it boot into Linux .. now you have an eth0 with the new MAC address
July 02, 2016 11:29AM
Dr. Dave K. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try this ?!
>
>
> 1. Boot into Linux
> 2. Run:
> rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> sync
> boot
> 3. Stop uBoot from booting, so you get into the
> uBoot command line (if you accidently boot into
> Linux again, remove the rules file again!)
> 4. Run:
> setenv ethaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
> saveenv
> reset (NOT 'boot'!)
> 5. Let it boot into Linux .. now you have an eth0
> with the new MAC address

No. This is a solution for a different problem. Ie. Network persistent udev rules must be removed or commented out when reusing rootfs on another box.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2016 11:29AM by bodhi.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.