Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kernel for Goflex Net with SATA support

Posted by WidiGMX 
Kernel for Goflex Net with SATA support
October 06, 2013 02:45PM
Hello community,

first off all: Thank you to all who spent them time to build the linux system for our devices.
I had a preconfigured debian (squeezeplug.eu) running on my Goflex Net until the USB stick died.
During the last days I installed a Debian Wheezy on a new stick (first a Squeeze using Jeffs script, then a Debian upgrade to Wheezy). But the provided kernel (3.2.0-4) does not support the Goflex Net. The system does not boot if I use arcNumber=3089 (as previously). Instead of them I use arcNumber=2998 - here the system boots but without SATA support I believe.
Now I am going to install the current kernel from bodhi. However, I don't like it when I need to create the uImage and uInitrd manually every time when the kernel is updated. That´s one reason why I like Debian - the update and upgrade process works, even without manual intervention.

Thus, my question: Is there anywhere a debian repository that provides the kernels from bodhi for the regular update/upgrade process (apt-get)?

Thanks
Widi
Re: Kernel for Goflex Net with SATA support
October 06, 2013 04:32PM
Hi Widi,

Orginially, the uImage and uInitrd were generated automatically by flash-kernel package if you have it installed. But people have problem when flash-kernel generates uInitrd that does not work with the initrd.img-xxx and the system could not mount rootfs. So I recommended removing flash-kernel and generate these 2 files manually. But everybody has his/her own preferences! so either approach is fine, and neither is better or worse.

When you apt-get update and upgrade, the kernel (vmlinuz-xxx) does not change, only your rootfs. So the file will be potentially affected is the initrd.img-xxx. If this file changed, then the uInitrd needs to be regenerated.

If you like the apt-get process to generate the uInitrd, you could try changing the kernel name to the conventional name. And install flash-kernel if it is not installed. Remember to clone your USB stick to another one so you can boot and fix any problem while changing these names. Sorry I don't have the details here, just thought it should work.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.