Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange network issue with Debian on Pogoplug E02

Posted by JohnG 
Strange network issue with Debian on Pogoplug E02
January 26, 2014 10:05PM
I'm not sure if this is a Pogoplug issue, or Debian in general. I have an E02 which I am unable to connect to from my laptop (OS X 10.9) when the laptop is connected via WiFi to my ISP's router (Actiontec V1000H). I spent the better part of a day installing and reinstalling before I finally twigged and tried to log in via a wired connection. But I'm getting ahead of myself... here's the setup.

The Pogoplug is connected (wired all the way, of course) to an 8-port switch connected to the Actiontec. It uses DHCP with reservation to get its 192.168.1.2 IP address. This works fine. The laptop is normally connected via WiFi to the Actiontec. It also uses DHCP of course. When I initially hooked everything up this way, I had no problems connecting via SSH to the Pogoplug to install the bootloader, install & boot a USB stick with the RescueV3 rootfs and SSH in. Basically zero problems until I installed Debian. After installing and booting the Pogoplug to Debian, I can no longer SSH or even telnet successfully when the *client* laptop is on the Actiontec WiFi. If connected to the switch hard wired, no problem. If connected to a *different* WiFi access point (Apple Time Capsule) hanging off the Actiontec, also no problem. When connecting to other OS installs (stock, or booted off Rescue V3), no problem no matter how the client is connected.

It's only while Debian is installed (was the same with squeeze or wheezy) that things go off the rails. With SSH, the initial connection works. sshd makes some progress - logs on client and server show the initial handshaking / authentication is successful. But then the connection hangs. There is nothing useful in the sshd logs - just "connection timeout". With telnet, I just get "connection timed out" on the client. Didn't look for server logs for telnetd.

So that's a lot of rambling. In practical terms if I connect my laptop wired or with the other AP, all is well. But I would like to understand how the WiFi connection method the client uses could possibly cause this issue.

Again, when connected via the Actiontec WiFi, it *mostly* works - netconsole output shows up fine on the laptop; ping works fine; the initial SSH to install uBoot, RescueV3, Debian etc. all worked fine. It's only after booting Debian that there are problems. And even in that case it seems bizarre that the way the client connects could be caused by any network configuration issues on the server (Pogoplug) since it is hard wired the whole time.

I should add that I tried using ping on both the E02 and the client to see if I was running into packet fragmentation (MTU size) issues but no fragmentation was happening with default settings (1500). I tried setting the laptop to 1450 anyway "just in case" but of course that didn't change anything.

How can I troubleshoot this issue?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 10:08PM by JohnG.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.