Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't load uInitrd

Posted by renojim 
Can't load uInitrd
April 16, 2017 02:08AM
My Pogoplug Pro is suddenly having trouble booting. I'm not sure/clear if it's a U-Boot issue or kernel issue. Here's the log:
U-Boot 2013.10-tld-4 (Sep 08 2014 - 19:43:38) for OXNAS
gcc (Debian 4.6.3-14) 4.6.3
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.22
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
(Re)start USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 4 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 2 Storage Device(s) found

Partition Map for USB device 0  --   Partition Type: DOS

Part    Start Sector    Num Sectors     UUID            Type
  1     2048            7985152         de7a8b73-01     83

Partition Map for USB device 1  --   Partition Type: DOS

Part    Start Sector    Num Sectors     UUID            Type
  1     2048            1953519616      3e12cce7-01     07 Boot
loading envs from usb 0 ...
54 bytes read in 341 ms (0 Bytes/s)
importing envs ...
## Info: input data size = 514 = 0x202
usb_custom_params=usb-storage.quirks=0x174c:0x55aa:z
(Re)start USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 4 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 2 Storage Device(s) found
4418416 bytes read in 771 ms (5.5 MiB/s)
3282492 bytes read in 815 ms (3.8 MiB/s)
7029 bytes read in 257 ms (26.4 KiB/s)
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 60500000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-4.0.0-oxnas-tld-2
   Created:      2015-06-27   4:41:53 UTC
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    4418352 Bytes = 4.2 MiB
   Load Address: 60008000
   Entry Point:  60008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
## Loading init Ramdisk from Legacy Image at 60e00000 ...
   Image Name:   initramfs-4.0.0-oxnas-tld-2
   Created:      2015-06-27   4:42:34 UTC
   Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    3282428 Bytes = 3.1 MiB
   Load Address: 60000000
   Entry Point:  60000000
   Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC

Led:    ORANGE (Failed)
Ramdisk image is corrupt or invalid
stopping USB..
resetting ...
Does the CRC error indicate bad RAM? Bad NAND? Bad boot (flash) drive? I tried another flash drive and an old backup, so I don't think that's it. Sometimes it will eventually boot, but right now it's been trying for an hour with no success.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
-JT
Re: Can't load uInitrd
April 16, 2017 03:52AM
JT,

Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC

This error usually is the uInitrd was corrpupted (not u-boot). It could be the rootfs file system was corrupted or the uInitrd file itself was corrupted. Have you tried to fsck this USB drive offline using another Linux box? If that does not help, try regenerate uInitrd using mkimage command. And always do a sync after regenerating it.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
April 16, 2017 12:35PM
Thanks. I suspected this flash drive is failing, so that's why I wanted to back it up. It's strange that it would fail the checksum a few times and then eventually boot. The really strange thing is why a backup made a year ago installed on a different flash drive also failed the checksum sometimes. I tried mkimage and I got past the checksum problem, but then I couldn't ssh into the box and it didn't show up on the network. I finally restored the original uInitrd from my initial backup I made after I originally set this thing up. That's working for now, but I suspect there's still a problem lurking somewhere. Same flash drive with only uInitrd replaced. I rebooted twice and I'm afraid to press my luck for now. I just need it to work for today so the nieces can watch some movies if they want.

I did fsck the drive and found no problems, but I'm not convinced there aren't any. When I backed it up in a Ubuntu Virtualbox session, it took a couple of tries. That's not unusual though. I don't think that's the best method.

When I get a chance I'm going to checksum compare all files in my various backups and see what I find.

Thanks again,
-JT
April 16, 2017 03:15PM
JT,

I think you're ritght. The drive itself is failing.

After back up this rootfs, you could try an experiment: not replacing uInitrd but rename it to some other name to keep it in place. And create a new uInitrd file, that way it will allocate different disk sectors.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
April 18, 2017 11:58AM
Yep, definitely a failing flash drive. Odd that fsck didn't show any problems, but there's multiple files that have been corrupted just in the last few days. I can't explain why restoring an old backup to a different flash drive didn't work. Perhaps because it was going on 3am when I was fighting with this. :-) I restored the backup again to the "new" drive and everything appears to be fine. I just had to reload a few packages I had added in the last year.

-JT
April 21, 2017 04:24PM
JT,

You also might want to check the power supply (if this happens to another flash drive).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.