Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Howto: Airplay on a Pogoplug

Posted by ubermacin 
Howto: Airplay on a Pogoplug
February 01, 2014 11:51PM
I don't know how many folks know about (or might care about) running an airplay service on their plug. I have an E02 (Pink) pogoplug with wheezy installed and I stumbled on this tutorial for a pi:Raspberry Pi Airplay Tutorial. It was pretty close to what I needed to get started. I first purchased this Syba USB sound card for about $8.50 (price changes though). The tutorial above is very well done, here is the process I followed:

apt-get install git libao-dev libssl-dev libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl libio-socket-inet6-perl libwww-perl avahi-utils libmodule-build-perl make libavahi-client-dev libasound2-dev build-essential pkg-config alsa-utils
git clone https://github.com/njh/perl-net-sdp.git perl-net-sdp
cd perl-net-sdp
perl Build.PL
sudo ./Build
sudo ./Build test
sudo ./Build install
cd ..
git clone https://github.com/hendrikw82/shairport.git
cd shairport
make

At this point, everything is basically installed, lets first set the volume (mine was defaulted to max)

alsamixer

left and right to change which part your changing, up and down to set (I set my mic to 0 and main to 20). Esc will save the settings. Plug in speakers and lets test it:

./shairport.pl -a Pogoplay

Now you should be able to airplay to the pogo plug (of course, you can change the name from Pogoplay to whatever you wish).

Ctrl-c will end it once you have tested it. I continued to follow the tutorial above to have the shairport script run on startup:

make install
sudo cp shairport.init.sample /etc/init.d/shairport
cd /etc/init.d
chmod a+x shairport
update-rc.d shairport defaults
nano shairport

In that last script, change the following line to include -a Pogoplay

DAEMON_ARGS="-w $PIDFILE -a Pogoplay"

Ctrl-x, yes, and you will be ready to go! You will have to run the script manually the first time, and then should load automatically at each boot.

/etc/init.d/shairport start

Thanks again to Adam Burkepile from the tutorial linked at the beginning, I really only had to tweak a few small things to make it work on mine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 11:47PM by ubermacin.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.