Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing Debian Wheezy from Pogoplug after debootstrap change

Posted by cefn 
Installing Debian Wheezy from Pogoplug after debootstrap change
March 03, 2014 05:43AM
Hi, all.

Can someone suggest an install sequence for Wheezy which will work on a Pink Pogoplug which was previously successfully installed with Squeeze via Jeff's script.

I've done nothing to the Pogoplug's NAND build except for deleting the pre-existing debootstrap files following instructions to (unsuccessfully) work around the --no-check-gpg error. The However, the error remains, even when the version of debootstrap appears to have been provisioned by the script itself.

Although it looks like Uboot has been successfully upgraded, I've struggled to get a USB build which boots automatically, based on Bodhi's rootfs extracted to an Ext2 USB key (with a single ext2 partition). It doesn't respond at all. Is it intended to boot to an SSH server?

What sequence is meant to work, these days? Somehow an initramfs build failed as part of an apt-get upgrade on the previous stick and it stopped rebooting, so I don't have any means of running scripts on the plug except from the original Pogoplug console (which is still available via SSH).
Re: Installing Debian Wheezy from Pogoplug after debootstrap change
March 03, 2014 11:53PM
cefn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Although it looks like Uboot has been successfully
> upgraded, I've struggled to get a USB build which
> boots automatically, based on Bodhi's rootfs
> extracted to an Ext2 USB key (with a single ext2
> partition). It doesn't respond at all. Is it
> intended to boot to an SSH server?

Yes it is. If you've installed the new u-Boot, then it should work with my latest rootfs. But if you have changed u-Boot envs, and they are at location 0xC0000 then that could be the reason why it is not booting.

If you can SSH in the original Pogo OS, then it is simple: rerunning Jeff script to install u-Boot (http://projects.doozan.com/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh) and let it restore u-Boot envs to a good set. And then boot with my latest rootfs.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
March 04, 2014 06:48PM
I've run the script as suggested and it's allegedly rebuilt my uBoot environment. How do I establish anything about my uBoot environment? The location 0xC0000 means nothing to me, and I don't know how to investigate what filesystem uBoot is set up for.

I ran Jeff's uBoot updating script as suggested, and answered 'y' when it suggested changing the environment.

Then I've tried unpacking the "latest Kirkwood kernel builds and roofts" tar into the root of an ext2 filesystem and then also tried an ext3 filesystem on the same USB key as the original, as well as another key, and none of them booted. The operations are being completed on Ubuntu Saucy.

The layout of the USB key is mostly the ext filesystem, with a small allocation to linux swap at the end. Both are primary partitions. I create the filesystem with...
sudo mkfs -t ext3 -L rootfs /dev/sdb1

Then after mounting I unpack the rootfs to /media/cefn/rootfs with...
sudo tar -xjf ~/Documents/code/pogoplug/Debian-3.13.1-kirkwood-tld-2-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2
sync
umount /media/cefn/rootfs

But after inserting it (removing all other drives and usb devices) I simply get...

ssh root@192.168.1.183
ssh: connect to host 192.168.1.183 port 22: No route to host

...whereas I can successfully log in using this ssh invocation when it boots to the Pogoplug OS (i.e. no USB key is inserted).
March 04, 2014 06:51PM
My bad. I must have done something wrong the first time I tried it, I now have an Ext3 stick booting to bodhi's rootfs and I can access it via ssh, so should be able to run jeff's Wheezy install script from there.
March 05, 2014 12:12AM
cefn,

Yup. This was the problem. Should be as root user, sudo will not be enough:
sudo tar -xjf ~/Documents/code/pogoplug/Debian-3.13.1-kirkwood-tld-2-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2

You could try the wheezy script, but I predict it will not go smoothly. You can run the squeeze script, and then apt-get dist-upgrade to wheezy.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 12:14AM by bodhi.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.