Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Asian filenames showed up as ??????

Posted by toomyzoom 
Asian filenames showed up as ??????
March 26, 2014 11:49PM
Hi, I use the rootfs from this http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096. There is a problem when I try to access samba share with asian filenames. They all showed up as ?????. I installed fonts, set locales,... nothing helped. Anyone knows how can I fix this.

It works on my x86 debian wheezy server. The filenames showed up as they should when set render font to utf-8 but this build only show ?????.

@bodhi, is this problem related to your build?

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 11:52PM by toomyzoom.
Re: Asian filenames showed up as ??????
March 27, 2014 12:18AM
toomyzoom,

Yes, it is my build, and it is a basic rootfs so it might lack certain settings to make that happen. Asian file names have been working for me on all my existing rootfs, though. Did you copy your samba config file from your x86 debian wheezy server over to this rootfs? I will take a look if in fact you've done that and it did not work.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 12:20AM by bodhi.
March 27, 2014 02:09AM
Ha ha, stupid me. I think I'm not clear here. I didn't have the chance to test the samba server yet but I think it will work fine. What explained above is when I tried to mount a samba share elsewhere to the plug, it showed up with question mark filenames (not even gibberish) when I listed the mount even when the remote character set is utf-8 in putty. Turned out, the build didn't set default locale. I set that to something utf-8 and reboot. After that, the listing folder worked as it should with all the filenames showed up correctly.

When I checked my other debian server, it already had "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" in /etc/default/locale which explains why the name showed up correctly on that one.
March 27, 2014 02:46AM
Cool! glad it works the way you want it.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.