Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to get the kernel package prepared?

Posted by SiliCAT 
How to get the kernel package prepared?
May 05, 2014 04:11PM
Hi,
I’ve got my fist Pogoplug - a Pogoplug mobile V4A101 for a few days and I would like to install Debian on it. Thanks to Jeff, Bodhi, and everyone on this forum, I’ve learned a lot about unlocking the capabilities of the Pogoplug from reading the threads here. However, I’m just uninitiated in the embedded system and I still have some questions. Appreciate if you could give me some help.
(1) I noticed that Jeff’s script is the easiest way to install Debian on the Plug Devices, but after I read into the script, I saw "This installer will only work on the following devices:", the following list doesn’t include my V4A101, so I can NOT run this installer on my Pogoplug, is that right?
(2) Thus I have to flash uboot and prepare the Kernel and rootfs step by step. I think Bodhi has already given all the procedure and details perfectly and clearly in the posts "Flashing uBoot and uBoot envs to the PogoMobile from Debian or ArchLinux ARM" and "Linux Kernel 3.14.0 Kirkwood package and rootfs", but I’m a little confused when I’m trying to put all the steps together – how can I use the commands "apt-get" or "dpkg" to get uInitrd and uImage when there is no Debian installed? I typed the command and just got "-sh: apt-get: not found". There must be something I misunderstood here.
(3) It seems running Jeff’s script the chance is given to reserve original pogoplug services in NAND. In case of a failure installing, going back to original Stock OS may be a good idea instead of getting a serial cable, soldering… I think. But I don’t know if it is workable while using Davy's uBoot image. Could you shed some light on how to keep the stock OS for me?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 04:29PM by SiliCAT.
Re: How to get the kernel package prepared?
May 05, 2014 10:18PM
SiliCAT,

> (1) I noticed that Jeff’s script is the easiest
> way to install Debian on the Plug Devices, but
> after I read into the script, I saw "This
> installer will only work on the following
> devices:", the following list doesn’t include my
> V4A101, so I can NOT run this installer on my
> Pogoplug, is that right?

Correct. You can NOT run Jeff'script to install Pogo V4.

> (2) Thus I have to flash uboot and prepare the
> Kernel and rootfs step by step. I think Bodhi has
> already given all the procedure and details
> perfectly and clearly in the posts "Flashing uBoot
> and uBoot envs to the PogoMobile from Debian or
> ArchLinux ARM"

Please include link to the thread so we know exactly which one (there are 2 similar threads)! However, I need to point out that davygravy's U-Boot image does not support SATA. So if you want to use SATA slot, then it is not the u-boot build to use. ebbes has a working Pogo V4 u-boot with SATA here. Potentially, you could use ebbes's u-boot image with my instruction to flash u-boot. However, I can't say that it will be OK because I did not test this binary.

> Could you shed some light on how to keep the stock OS for me?

At this point, the easiest way to preserve stock OS is to install Arch Linux ARM (ALARM). And then switch to Debian (assuming your end goal is running Debian) using the latest Debian rootfs. that you've already known about. The ALARM installation installs an old u-boot version that is closely compatible with the stock u-boot, so it's easy to restore to stock (it actually has a procedure to go back to stock). The harder way to go back to stock is to backup the stock mtd partitions now and restore it when you want by using NAND tools (nanddump, flash_erase, nandwrite). I have PogoV4 mtd partitions backup for people to use in emergency already.

The bottom line is there is no single automatically prepared way to install PogoV4. If you're not sure, lay out what you plan to do and I'll check.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 10:19PM by bodhi.
May 06, 2014 01:09AM
Hi Bodhi,
Many thanks for replying my post, sorry I didn’t make my question clear. I’m trying to state the question more specifically.
The two threads I’ve perused are:
(1) Flashing uBoot and uBoot envs to the PogoMobile from Debian or ArchLinux ARM
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,11663
(2) Linux Kernel 3.14.0 Kirkwood package and rootfs
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096
All of them were written and posted by you. (Thank you again here)

At the end of the first thread, you wrote:

Bodhi

- Shutdown and cold start with Debian or Arch rootfs

But I don’t have a Debian rootfs. So I sought and found the second thread (Linux Kernel 3.14.0 Kirkwood package and rootfs), and I got stuck when I read it here:

Bodhi

apt-get remove flash-kernel
dpkg -i linux-image-3.14.0-kirkwood-tld-2_2.0_armel.deb

for I realized I’m unable to execute "apt-get" and "dpkg" by then, -- I don’t have a Debian at that time, isn't that so?
OK, my question is: how can I run
dpkg -i linux-image-3.14.0-kirkwood-tld-2_2.0_armel.deb
before I have a Debian?
(Sorry if my question is too elementary, I really lack experience in embedded system.)

My whole plan is relatively simple, by now:
(1) Using a SD card to install Debian (running Debian is my end goal for I’ve got used to having Debian on my laptop for years)
(2) Avoiding bricking my Pogoplug, if it is possible:)

I'm also very interested in what you said about switching from ALARM to Debian, I haven’t read anything about this yet, but I'm going to search the relevant threads and study. Also, could you give me some detailed informations about the switching? I'm really grateful for your help.

- SiliCAT
May 06, 2014 02:33AM
SiliCAT,

If you read the background in 1st thread,

Background:

The installation starting point should be one of these 3 environments:
1. From inside Pogo OS with a brand new, unhacked Pogo Mobile/Series4. SSH into Pogo OS and start from there.
2. From Arch Linux command line.
3. From Debian command line.

The u-boot image can be installed with all the 3 starting points. Since manually installing u-boot requires only mtd utililies such as flash_erase, nandwrite,….

In the 2nd thread, which by itself does not have anything to do with the 1st thread. To create a Debian rootfs, you will need a Linux box (whether it is a PC running Linux Live CD, or a Ubuntu PC) to format a USB thumb drive and extract the rootfs to it. That's all you need to do to create rootfs. There is no need to use any of the apt-get, dpkg,… tools, they are for installing new kernel in a rootfs.

My suggestion to install Arch is so that you will have a chance to go back to stock (since you mentioned that is what you want to be able to do). Once you flashed new u-boot, the process becomes harder (still possible). Switching from Arch to Debian is quite simple, you would just create the Debian rootfs following the 2nd thread instruction and boot with it.

Here is Arch installation page:
http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-series-4

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.