Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux Kernel 5.4.268 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs

Posted by bodhi 
Re: Linux Kernel 3.14.0 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
June 05, 2014 12:59AM
Yes. It does.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
hi bodi thanks for your contributions. Im a novice and maybe this is a dumb question, but.... why can't we install this in a similar manner as the archlinux install. then have the rootfs on a usb drive.
Re: Linux Kernel 3.14.0 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
June 05, 2014 01:07PM
gp,

Nobody has worked on the installation script for new u-boot and kernel for the Pogo Pro, and I have provided a manual procedure in this thread.

It is entirely possible to implement a script. However, because WarheadsSE indicated that ALARM might reinstate the official Arch support for this box, so I did not want to pursue further.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
ok. i got everything updated now but cant get wifi to work. the wirelesstools isnt in the rootfs. i installed it but cant get ant response from the wifi card. any guidance??
June 05, 2014 11:45PM
Does wlan show in ifconfig -a ?

After verifying that it does, you will need to do standard setup for the rest to initialize the card: probably a rt28xx dat file in proper place, wireless parameters in /etc/network/interfaces ...

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
thanks. i spent all day doing tons of options in the interfaces files. can you post your interfaces file? have you ever tested the wifi?

yes i see wlan0 in ifconfig -a

thanks again

go

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 12:45AM by gp.
June 06, 2014 01:39AM
Gp,

It's a standard wifi installation on Linux. You can google it. And I did wifi long time ago not recently. I'm using my PCI slot for other experiment.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
ok well i have the 3.14 kernel and the 3.12 rootfs. everything boots and runs fine except the wifi, I have installed many wifi systems uver the years and my feeling is this instance does not work. Can anyone comment on their experience with this wifi environment. thanks

gp
June 06, 2014 03:39AM
gp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ok well i have the 3.14 kernel and the 3.12
> rootfs. everything boots and runs fine except the
> wifi, I have installed many wifi systems uver the
> years and my feeling is this instance does not
> work. Can anyone comment on their experience with
> this wifi environment. thanks
>
> gp

Do you have rt28xx.dat file in your system somewhere? what do you see when you have auto wlan0 in your /etc/network/interfaces?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
yes i have the .dat file in the Wireless/ra2.... subdirectory. i have auto wlan0. i see this in dmesg IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV UP) wlan0 link is not ready

i have tried many interfaces configurations dhcp or static, nothing works
wireless worked fine with the alarm kernel.
June 06, 2014 02:37PM
ALARM uses a different driver, iirc. If you have serial console, I think you might see error during the time the driver loads the settings. Wireless/ra2 does not seems to be a correct directory. I'm not at home so I can't check my old log for you. You could ask this at Arch site in this thread: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=6193

Other thought: check your dmesg.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 02:48PM by bodhi.
the ra..... was just an abbreviation for the entire directory name. the dmseg shows the rt2860.bin firmware being loaded. no errors except the IPV6 message i showed in my last post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 06:39PM by gp.
June 07, 2014 03:29AM
Is the dat file name /etc/Wireless/RT2860STA/RT2860STA.dat ? what does dmesg says when it was loaded?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
yes that is the dat file i have

the only thing in dmesg is ---- IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV UP) wlan0 link is not ready
Hi Bodhi.
Thank you very much for your effort.
I want to compile a few extra modules (usb audio, etc.). Besides your config file, is it necessary any extra patch to compile the vanilla kernel?
June 08, 2014 12:05AM
@fsonnlei,

You need the source from kref's GigtHub (see first post). I've only patched this source slightly for LED (insignificant to worry about). Most changes I've made were in config file for Debian.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
June 08, 2014 04:10AM
@gp,

Why don't you post output of your dmesg and ifconfig? may be others will chime in if they see anything strange. And if you have serial console output then post that too.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Thank you!!
maybe others will help by answering this. Has anyone ever successfully got the wireless card to work on the pogoplug pro with this kernel and filesys???
@gp

I just compiled kref's linux-oxnas using Bodhid's .config as base. I added usb audio and a few usb wireless modules.
However I can't use the internal (RT3090) card. With Bodhi's .config it couldn't do a scan (iwconfig just gave me no wireless extensions).
With my .config (based on bodhi's using kernel 3.12.13) it was able to be recognized by iwconfig. However iwlist scan gave me no result.
With an usb wireless dongle I had no problem using wpa_supplicant with my .config (it didn't work with bodhi's).
Attached is my .config for the mentioned 3.12.13 kernel.
Attachments:
open | download - config-3.12.13-fsonnlei (58.4 KB)
thanks so much for your post! I have spent hours and hours trying to make the wifi work and as I suspected it wont. I guess i will just give up on the pogoplug pro..............................................
June 09, 2014 04:10AM
I'll take a look at this in about 3 weeks from now.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Just in case, I swapped the internal card for an Atheros AR9285 and it's working great!
how can that be ??? why would the ar9285 drivers be in a pogoplug build???
@gp

????
Select the modules via menuconfig, compile the kernel, install the kernel...
June 11, 2014 09:39AM
gp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how can that be ??? why would the ar9285 drivers
> be in a pogoplug build???

Any thing you want to use on a Linux computer, if it can be installed hardware-wise, chances is that it will have supports in the kernel. As matter of fact, people usually do just what fsonnlei did to increase wifi performance.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
oh man.... i guess i wasnt clear enough. i meant to say "why would the ar9285 drivers be in THIS build". "This build" being the one in the original post and the topic title. I think that is what we are discussing in this thread. I am trying to download the kernel and files system and make my pogoplug wifi work. I don't think i am smart eneough to do my own builds. thanks

gp
On my Pogo-P24 (presumably a "classic" and what you call "no PCI" above, or is it?) http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/pogoplug-v3oxnas-eol I have the now-discontinued Arch from when it was "fully supported": http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2470 "in a state of limbo, as the current kernel on the Oxnas does not support systemd" (their words).

I.e. precondition "2. Your Pogo V3 is already running Arch rootfs with Arch kernel" from http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017 seems to be met.

So this should currently be at some 2012 approx. uboot + Arch kernel in NAND + rootfs on 8GB USB stick (and getting its IP via DHCP on the LAN).

However, unlike the "Flashing Instruction: 1. uBoot envs config and mtd partitions must be defined as followed in your rootfs [...] /dev/mtd0 0x00100000 [...] mtd0: 00e00000 00020000 "boot"; mtd1: 07200000 00020000 "data"" the ssh on this box shows:

[root@alarm /]# uname -r
3.1.10-13-ARCH
[root@alarm /]# which fw_setenv
/usr/bin/fw_setenv
[root@alarm /]# which flash_erase
which: no flash_erase in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/bin/core_perl)
[root@alarm /]# which nandwrite
which: no nandwrite in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/bin/core_perl)
[root@alarm /]# cat /etc/fw_env.config
# [...]
# segate dockstar:
/dev/mtd0 0xc0000 0x20000 0x20000
# [...]
[root@alarm /]# cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00100000 00020000 "u-boot"
mtd1: 00400000 00020000 "uImage"
mtd2: 02000000 00020000 "rootfs"
mtd3: 05b00000 00020000 "data"

# dmesg|grep -i pci
[ 5.129790] PCI: CLS 0 bytes, default 32
[root@alarm /]# dmesg|grep -i bad
[ 5.415678] Scanning device for bad blocks
[ 5.491220] Bad eraseblock 1015 at 0x000007ee0000

Presumably the last row does not violate precondition "4. Be sure there is no bad block in the first 1M of your NAND (check dmesg)." ?

But for all the rest, I see the contradictions highlighted in bold above (also between the various instructions and over time) and I am not sure how to proceed now to update (without risk of bricking) to your latest uboot + Debian (wheezy) kernel (while putting as much as possible into the NAND so as not to depend more than necessary on the USB stick).

The files I have are thus:
https://bitly.com/1t7pV6B as linux-3.14.0-oxnas-tld-5-bodhi.tar.bz2
https://bitly.com/1sTuZvh as uboot.2013.10-tld-3.ox820.bodhi.tar
http://forum.doozan.com/file.php?3,file=473,filename=ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb,download=1 as ox820-pogoplug-classic.dtb

How do I proceed from here?
(If any further details are needed please let me know...)

Moreover, I understand from the following that there is no netconsole:
[root@alarm /]# fw_printenv
ethact=egiga0
bootdelay=3
baudrate=115200
mainlineLinux=yes
console=ttyS0,115200
led_init=green blinking
led_exit=green off
led_error=orange blinking
mtdparts=mtdparts=orion_nand:1M(u-boot),4M(uImage),32M(rootfs),-(data)
mtdids=nand0=orion_nand
partition=nand0,2
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
stderr=serial
rescue_installed=0
rescue_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs ro rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $rescue_custom_params
rescue_bootcmd=if test $rescue_installed -eq 1; then run rescue_set_bootargs; nand read.e 0x800000 0x100000 0x400000; bootm 0x800000; else run pogo_bootcmd; fi
pogo_bootcmd=if fsload uboot-original-mtd0.kwb; then go 0x800200; fi
force_rescue=0
force_rescue_bootcmd=if test $force_rescue -eq 1 || ext2load usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme 1 || fatload usb 0:1 0x1700000 /rescueme.txt 1; then run rescue_bootcmd; fi
ubifs_mtd=3
ubifs_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console ubi.mtd=$ubifs_mtd root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs $mtdparts $ubifs_custom_params
ubifs_bootcmd=run ubifs_set_bootargs; if ubi part data && ubifsmount rootfs && ubifsload 0x800000 /boot/uImage && ubifsload 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; fi
usb_scan=usb_scan_done=0;for scan in $usb_scan_list; do run usb_scan_$scan; if test $usb_scan_done -eq 0 && ext2load usb $usb 0x800000 /boot/uImage 1; then usb_scan_done=1; echo "Found bootable drive on usb $usb"; setenv usb_device $usb; setenv usb_root /dev/$dev; fi; done
usb_scan_list=1 2 3 4
usb_scan_1=usb=0:1 dev=sda1
usb_scan_2=usb=1:1 dev=sdb1
usb_scan_3=usb=2:1 dev=sdc1
usb_scan_4=usb=3:1 dev=sdd1
usb_init=run usb_scan
usb_device=0:1
usb_root=/dev/sda1
usb_rootfstype=ext2
usb_rootdelay=10
usb_set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=$console root=$usb_root rootdelay=$usb_rootdelay rootfstype=$usb_rootfstype $mtdparts $usb_custom_params
usb_bootcmd=run usb_init; run usb_set_bootargs; run usb_boot
usb_boot=mw 0x800000 0 1; ext2load usb $usb_device 0x800000 /boot/uImage; if ext2load usb $usb_device 0x1100000 /boot/uInitrd; then bootm 0x800000 0x1100000; else bootm 0x800000; fi
bootcmd=usb start; run force_rescue_bootcmd; run ubifs_bootcmd; run usb_bootcmd; usb stop; run rescue_bootcmd; run pogo_bootcmd; reset
ethaddr=00:25:31:02:[...]:[...]
arcNumber=3542
TEN
Re: netconsole on Pogo-P24
June 18, 2014 03:49AM
P.S. while I have seen you refer to http://projects.doozan.com/uboot/ in http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,14,15083#msg-15083 it is not clear to me which versions of uboot are defined as old or new and how this should be checked, as well as whether and which (if any) changes they or the above fw_env require on the Pogo-P24 (currently running "Linux alarm 3.1.10-13-ARCH #1 PREEMPT Mon Aug 20 15:46:18 UTC 2012 armv5tel GNU/Linux" as specified to be installed first in this forum).

Jeff's initial post in that thread being from 2010, I suppose the netconsole could be enabled through his fw_setenvs there for the presently installed uboot already (though you hint at "u-Boot netconsole has been buggy up until the latest u-Boot :) [...] Still, there were reports about intermittent problems with it"), or should http://projects.doozan.com/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh be run even inside Arch first (and does it require or make any changes to the NAND partitioning as seen in bold from the previous post, or render Arch unbootable)?

Either way, is "fw_setenv ipaddr 192.168.1.100" supposed to be the same IP address the Pogoplug is going to use later on for ssh etc., or are there any reasons for using a different one at the uboot stage (where it has to be hardcoded/static for lack of DHCP of course)?
Re: netconsole on Pogo-P24
June 18, 2014 04:00AM
TEN,

No, your Pogo is NOT Pogo V3! I'm glad you've asked questions before trying the installation. You have installed Arch, and thus your system is
[root@alarm /]# uname -r 
3.1.10-13-ARCH
And u-boot envs showed this arcNumber:
arcNumber=3542

What you have is Pogo V2 (or E02) Kirkwood. So the correct thread for Debian kernel or rootfs is:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.