Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux Kernel 5.4.268 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs

Posted by bodhi 
TEN
Re: netconsole on Pogo-P24
June 18, 2014 05:00AM
bodhi Wrote:
> your Pogo is NOT Pogo V3! I'm glad you've asked questions before trying the installation.

Indeed, the box is mislabelled POGO-P24 and the case is the black one seen on http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv6/pogoplug-v3oxnas-eol but dmesg says "CPU: Feroceon 88FR131 [56251311] revision 1 (ARMv5TE)", and now that I've got my hands on the physical device by lunchtime I see its stand has another sticker identifying it as POGO-E02, i.e. http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv5/pogoplug-v2-pinkgray although none of these colors.

> What you have is Pogo V2 (or E02) Kirkwood. So the
> correct thread for Debian kernel or rootfs is:
> http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

So the arcNumber=3542 and NAND layout are correct and compatible as they are for your uboot & Debian 3.14, i.e. I should go ahead (even within Arch) with uboot.2014.01-tld-1.pogo_e02.bodhi.tar (not Jeff's install_uboot_mtd0.sh ?) for your latest loader, then activate netconsole through fw_setenv, and proceed to the Kirkwood wheezy install onto a second USB stick (i.e. only uboot goes into NAND [/dev/mtd0], but neither Arch's nor Debian's kernel on Kirkwood) ?
Well, within Arch I won't immediately be able to update uboot as it's lacking flash_erase and nandwrite (or should their http://archlinuxarm.org/os/armv5te/boot/pogo_e02/pogo_e02.sh be [re-]run first from in there, or out of the stock firmware? I seem to recall Jeff advised against repeating this usually...)

BTW curiously 2-year-old Arch failed its own update as follows (after downloading tons of packages):
[root@alarm ~]# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                     167.0 KiB  1101K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 extra                   1986.5 KiB  1826K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 community                  2.3 MiB  1643K/s 00:01 [######################] 100%
 alarm                     27.6 KiB  1867K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
 aur                       63.9 KiB  1859K/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace dbus-core with core/dbus? [Y/n] 
:: Replace heirloom-mailx with core/s-nail? [Y/n] 
:: Replace libusbx with core/libusb? [Y/n] 
:: Replace nss-myhostname with core/systemd? [Y/n] 
:: Replace sysvinit-tools with core/procps-ng? [Y/n] 
:: Replace uboot-env with alarm/uboot-tools? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
[...]
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
filesystem: /bin exists in filesystem
filesystem: /sbin exists in filesystem
filesystem: /usr/sbin exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
Many thanks for your help!
June 18, 2014 06:00AM
TEN,

> So the arcNumber=3542 and NAND layout are correct
> and compatible as they are for your uboot & Debian
> 3.14, i.e. I should go ahead (even within Arch)
> with uboot.2014.01-tld-1.pogo_e02.bodhi.tar

Yes.

> install onto a second USB stick (i.e. only uboot
> goes into NAND [/dev/mtd0], but neither Arch's nor
> Debian's kernel on Kirkwood) ?

Right, only u-boot.

Your Arch install is too old. They have moved on to systemd, so pacman -Syu won't work right away.

If your USB is hosed now then either get my Debian rootfs mentioned above or the latest Arch rootfs, put it on newly formatted Ext3 USB stick and boot back into Linux. Install mtd-utils to get flash tools. Then install new u-boot.

BTW, the Pogo E02 case could be in either: grey, black, or pink color.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 06:05AM by bodhi.
June 18, 2014 12:21PM
Arch is basically being patient and waiting on cleanly documented change over behavior to make this a supported device again!
Hi bodhi,
with your fantastic tutorials I could update my uImage und Kernel. But like in all the other kernels I tested, iptables-Modules are not integrated. I tried to compile a new one with netfilter-modules included but it didn't worked. Can you please help me to compile this 3.14 kernel with netfiler-modules or do it for me? You linked to kref's sources in the OT but said that you made changes specific for Debian (which is what I'm running). What are these? I know in theory I just have to tick the right things in "make menuconfig" and then compile with "make -j3" but I'm not sure what options are necessary for iptables and how to continue after the compiling.

He you can help me,

Brom
Re: Linux Kernel 3.14.0 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
June 21, 2014 11:59PM
Brom,

In kernel 3.14+ you should be able to select CONFIG_NETFILTER in make menuconfig.

If you have trouble with make menuconfig, try make oldconfig:

- manually edit the .config file to have CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
- run make oldconfig and respond to each question.
- then run make again to build

If somehow it does not work for you, wait for my next Oxnas kernel release (in about 2 weeks). I will include netfilter in this release.

Most changes I've made to kref's was with configuration, source patch was quite trivial and should not affect anything (I will provide it, too, for completness).

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 12:03AM by bodhi.
I'm downloading the sources right now. How do I have to continue after running make? Can I install the modules with make modules_install? Shouldn't the old and the new kernel have the same name so modules will be overwritten? How can I create uImage and the dtb-file for v3 classic and the deb-packages? Am I right that an uImage needn't to be flashed?

Brom
Re: Linux Kernel 3.14.0 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
June 22, 2014 05:21AM

my next Oxnas kernel release (in about 2 weeks). I will include netfilter in this release.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
where is the source for 3.14.0, I am trying to compile usb audio module, the source I downloaded from github is for 3.13.5?
Thanks!
June 30, 2014 05:38AM
@gulizi,

Read a few posts back.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Get the Debian kernel sources, here:

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux/

Then get the current kernel patches and missing files for the OXNAS support, from Openwrt, here:

https://gitorious.org/openwrt-oxnas

Extract the Debian kernel sources and copy the missing files to the source directory, from the openwrt git directory. Finally apply the patches, configure the kernel and compile it. That should be it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 06:00AM by ingmar_k.
@bodhi

I've read every post, I checked out your repo, the source I get is for 3.13.5. I don't know how to merge in the changes in 3.14.0. Can you update your repo to 3.14.0? I am referring to your post:

bodhi
My pleasure :) It took some minor retrofitting to rebase this Oxnas 3.12 kernel to 3.14 (common PCIe kernel interface changes). I did try to look at OpenWrt patch, but due to my unfamiliarity with it, I could not see exactly what changes they've made!
-bodhi

I don't know how to do the "minor retrofitting" to rebase the kernel.

@ingmar_k

is openwrt-oxnas's patch to debian kernel same as navym (kref)'s? I thought they are not the same, and bodhi's kernel is not from openwrt-oxnas.

Can you guys help a little more here?re?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 10:09AM by gulizi.
duplicated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 10:10AM by gulizi.
I didn't even see before that kref seems to have merged his changes to Linux 3.13-5.

But as the openwrt repo is based on kref's work, it should be nearly identical, at least.
If you like to know exactly, check out both and compare.
The thing is that the openwrt branch is a little more recent. They seem to maintain their repo constantly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2014 12:51PM by ingmar_k.
July 01, 2014 12:35AM
gulizi,

I will provide a patch to the mainline kernel as mentioned here:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,16044,16434#msg-16434

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Hello everyone in this forum. Bodhi , thanks a million for your efforts in this.
With your instructions I managed to upgrade my uboot and to run your wheezy+3.14 from USB.
(I have a pogo pro black oxnas EOL with pci and sata onboard ).

As well as many other users having posted in this forum, I'm hitting the problem of the lack of certain kernel functionality I wish to use and the difficulties in compiling my own kernel (I would say moreover fails in my case).

theliquid was asking for TUN , GP for wireless (RA), fsonnlei and gulizi needs audio drivers , Brom iptables-modules
and I should ask for usb-serial (I have some relays usb_serial type which usually use cdc-acm to show up as /dev/ttyACM).

It is about a month I'm try to compiling my kernel and failing for different reasons.
(surely all based in lack of knowledge and experience with the kernel compilation).
I tried to compile Kref's source having used the config you have provided origianlly, using the 3.12 from fsonnlei, and finally my own from scratch.

In every occasion I could have the "make" command not screaming for errors (such as the lack of the bc packet and/or GCC errors ) ,
I could never find my uImage located in arch/arm/boot.

Beside having try nativelly, I also tried to cross compiling in Ubuntu using gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi as to gain more speed and make more attempts.
Goodwill apart, the result did not change for me, and I'm still missing my uImage in arch/arm/boot.

I seriously need an help with this, but I'm not sure it would hurt less asking for a revision that include usb-serial+cdc-acm or a clear tutorial in how to compile it.

In any case, any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Maybe we should create a dedicated howto thread for "cross compiling your own kernel on Ubuntu and/or Debian".

As for the kernel config, it could make sense to start with a Debian defconfig (such as the kirkwood_defconfig) and then "just" change the machine specific parts to make it work for OXNAS. That way, nearly all the interesting modules should be included.

It is usually not what I do for my own builds, but it probably would be best for the community.
Don't know what bodhi thinks about this, though. ;-)
July 02, 2014 02:47PM
@ingmar_k,

As usual, your idea is solid and well thought :) I've thought of starting from a Debian Kirkwood config initially also. But at the end, I chose to start with kref's config to keep it simple so that we can have a stable starting point. I was afraid to get into too much different config options and got bogged down to solving problems. But in retrospect, it might have been better that way!

If you have already done this work, I could use yours as a base to merge my current config into it (I might not need to merge anything other than initrd-related configs). And hopefully we can get to a much more universal Oxnas Debian config.

@ /dev/null,

I would start with getting your Pogo Pro running using my armv5 kernel buid or rootfs first. And then install kernel builds packages to build it natively on the Pogo Pro. Native compile is really a better approach, because it is a lot easier to get it working, even though it is many times slower than cross-compiling on Ubuntu laptop. After you've buillt yours kernel once, it is just a matter of installing distcc to take advantage of a more powerful Ubuntu box.

Also, you could use the final config that I mentioned above to ingmar. Or start with the new kernel that I hope to provide within the next couple weeks.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
OK, I just did a quick test build with Debian 3.15 kernel sources, patched for OXNAS support, with the help of the openwrt repo.
Then I took the kirkwood_defconfig and adapted it for OX820.
It built just fine, but I still need to test it. Probably tomorrow. Will let you all know how it turns out.
Re: Linux Kernel 3.15.3 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
July 05, 2014 03:40PM
Kernel linux-3.15.3-oxnas-tld-1 package was uploaded. Please see 1st post for download link. The tarball now includes the completed patch to build the kernel.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Great news!
Unfortunately, I was too busy to actually test my build, yet. Hope to finally find the time to do some OXNAS testing the next few days.
Hi bodhi,

thanks for the new kernel build. Is tun device now supported in the kernel?
Hi,
I tested the kernel and everything seems to work. I can't speak of tun but iptables support is integrated and working.

Thanks bodhi!

Brom
Ok, I answered it myself: installed new kernel and it works like a charm.
Tun is now supported!
Re: Linux Kernel 3.15.3 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
July 07, 2014 12:07AM
Cool! thanks guys for the verification.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Hello , sorry to have been late in answering this.
the completed patch to build the kernel did work for me.
I could build my 3.15 with usb_serial + acm properly.

Thanks again

root@debian:~# uname -a
Linux debian 3.15.3-dan-1-oxnas-tld-1 #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 7 23:10:05 PDT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

root@debian:~# egrep -i 'acm|usb_serial' /boot/config-3.15.3-dan-1-oxnas-tld-1 | grep -v \#
CONFIG_USB_ACM=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=y

root@debian:~# ls /dev/ttyACM0
/dev/ttyACM0
July 08, 2014 04:19PM
/dev/null,

> CONFIG_USB_ACM=y
> CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=y
>
> root@debian:~# ls /dev/ttyACM0
> /dev/ttyACM0
> [/quote]

Cool, thanks for posting your solution. These config will be included in my next realease.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Hi!

First of all, nice to see you guys found me openwrt-oxnas tree on gitorious and make some use of it :)

The openwrt oxnas port is based on kref's patches with quite a lot of small changes applied on top (adaptation to changes in platform driver code such as stmac, besides that mostly cosmetics, so the code looks more like linux kernel style and more or less passes checkpatch.pl, also it now compiles without any warnings).

If you through this on top of a vanilla kernel, don't miss cherry-picking at least a couple of the most useful patches in OpenWrt regarding smoother NAND/UBI support from https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/generic/patches-3.14/
(unless you are booting off SATA anyway and don't use NAND/UBI for anything besides the bootloader, then you can safely skip this part)

For 3.15, you won't need 04* as they have already been merged.
4{8,9}* should be useful if you are planning to use ubifs or squashfs as rootfs and want to have it auto-detected without passing any bootloader arguments.
55* is UBIFS related, 552* was also already merged with 3.15.

Anyway, I'd be glad to know if you integrated any other target-related additions and/or fixes apart from kref's linux tree and my openwrt patchset, so we can coordinate things a bit and prevent redundant work.

Cheers

Daniel
July 12, 2014 01:41PM
@Daniel,

Thanks for the offer! I have not looked into your patch set for openWRT yet so don't know if we have redundancy. I've never use openWRT so don't know my way around the code source tree :) but will try to browse your Git source.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
July 14, 2014 02:56PM
@Ingmar_k or Daniel Golle,

I give up, I could not find where the Oxnas patch is :) is it in a single folder or do I need to diff the source tree?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.