Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux Kernel 5.4.268 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs

Posted by bodhi 
Re: Linux Kernel 3.16.0 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
September 30, 2014 03:27PM
@Bodhi

I'm just catching up on this thread as I too would like to get USB sound working on the Oxnas Pogo, like it does on the Kirkwood Pogos. A few posts above there was discussion of the sound modules. Below is some info on what I think are the sound modules on a Kirkwood kernel. Does this help? I can provide the rest of the directory listings if you need them. This is from the latest Arch Kirkwood kernel, 3.x something. Hope this makes sense.

[root@alarm 3.16.1-1-ARCH]# ls
extra modules.alias.bin modules.dep.bin modules.symbols
extramodules modules.builtin modules.devname modules.symbols.bin
kernel modules.builtin.bin modules.order
modules.alias modules.dep modules.softdep
[root@alarm 3.16.1-1-ARCH]# cd ./kernel
[root@alarm kernel]# ls
arch crypto drivers fs lib net sound
[root@alarm kernel]# cd ./sound
[root@alarm sound]# ls
ac97_bus.ko.gz core pci soc soundcore.ko.gz usb
[root@alarm sound]# cd ./usb
[root@alarm usb]# ls
caiaq hiface misc snd-usb-audio.ko.gz snd-usbmidi-lib.ko.gz
[root@alarm sound]# cd ./core
[root@alarm core]# ls
seq snd-hrtimer.ko.gz snd-pcm.ko.gz snd-timer.ko.gz
snd-compress.ko.gz snd-hwdep.ko.gz snd-rawmidi.ko.gz snd.ko.gz
Re: Linux Kernel 3.16.0 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
October 01, 2014 12:30AM
mikeh49,

Thanks! I'll take a look.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
October 01, 2014 02:26AM
Looks like all the sound modules were included in the latest kernel.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
@bodhi,

I haven't had the chance to fully test but at first glance it appears to be working flawlessly - the appropiate modules are loaded and alsamixer detects the sound device correctly (after modifying alsa-base.conf)

Many Many Thanks!
October 01, 2014 12:27PM
Sounds great. Now I just have to get from Arch kernel and old u-boot to the latest. The process is not entirely clear, but perhaps with more study?

If anyone can lay out the best way to do this, that would be great. My current understanding:

1. Create newest Debian FDT filesystem on a USB stick and label "rootfs"
  2. Install new uboot and new kernel on NAND (or is the kernel on the USB?)
  3. Boot with the new filesystem

I'm not entirely clear if I can ignore the existing MTD stock partition scheme as described in earlier posts. Or, should I re-partition to what Bodhi assumes it should be?

I have serial console working.
@bodhi,

did you by any chance had the time to look the diff file attached on my previous post?
October 01, 2014 03:28PM
denexo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @bodhi,
>
> did you by any chance had the time to look the
> diff file attached on my previous post?

No I have not.Will take a look soon.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 01, 2014 03:35PM
mikeh49,

> Create newest Debian FDT filesystem on a USB
> stick and label "rootfs"

You need to build Arch kernel and install it on the latest Arch rootfs, if running Arch is your goal. If you use my uploaded rootfs in the 1st post, it's Debian and can be used without modifying.

> Install new uboot and new kernel on NAND (or
> is the kernel on the USB?)

Not the kernel. Only u-boot. Kernel is on the rootfs already.

> I'm not entirely clear if I can ignore the
> existing MTD stock partition scheme as described
> in earlier posts. Or, should I re-partition to
> what Bodhi assumes it should be?

You can use either partition scheme. It will work either way.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 01, 2014 03:55PM
denexo,

> Error: could not insert module
> drivers/media/v4l2-core/videobuf2-core.ko: Unknown
> symbol in module

OK. Let me try building the next version with v4l2 core and see how it goes. The errors you've got were because some config options were missing, so the kernel modules were not compiled.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 01, 2014 06:32PM
@denexo,

Looks like I got these modules compiled in OK. Will upload kernel tld-4 tonight.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 01, 2014 07:28PM
Bodhi-

OK, that helps. I've built your Debian filesystem on a USB stick, so I'll now look into the u-boot etc. Once I get the Debian FS booted, I should be able to update the kernel to your latest that has USB sound support.

I expect I'll be back with questions about the boot environment.

Thanks for your work.
Re: Linux Kernel 3.15.3 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
October 02, 2014 02:10AM
@denexo and others,

Here is kernel linux-3.16.0-oxnas-tld-4. This has all v4l2 core modules. Please test and let me know if it works for you!

Dowload at Dropbox
linux-3.16.0-oxnas-tld-4-bodhi.tar.bz2
md5:
ecd6ce5eece557c85b6bcb694adf7b31

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 02, 2014 02:11AM
Just out of curiosity:
Are all the modules, that were now asked to be included in the OXNAS kernel release, included in the standard "kirkwood_defconfig"?

If yes, then I still think that it would be easiest to just "adapt" the Debian kirkwood_defconfig for OXNAS.
If no, then just ignore this. ;-)
October 02, 2014 02:33AM
ingmar,

Yes, kind of :) they were indeed included in my latest Kirkwood kernel config, but not the standard kirkwood_defconfig. I know we should do what you suggest, but never got around to do it. Perhaps now is the right time!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 02, 2014 03:03AM
Maybe I'll find the time today. I'll let you know.
But I know exactly what you mean. Lots of plans, but never enough time to do all of it. :-) Same procedure, every year.
@bodhi,

i would like to express my gratitude for your efforts. With your last kernel 3.16.0-4, i have all v4l2, uvc and snd modules working. All these just after the reboot! I can now stream image from my camera using motion and v4l2 and i can also hear my mp3s through the logitech usb speakers i have attached (c-media chipset). Thanks again!

P.S. uvcvideo seems not to be working with mjpg-streamer, but a lot of users are complaining about this for kernels 3.16 and 3.17
October 02, 2014 03:28PM
@denexo,

Glad it worked out fine for you!

Kernel 3.17 is going to be released soon, hope that bug with uvcvideo will be fixed before that happens. There is a kernel thread about this, so might be good to track it to know when the patch will be submitted.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 02, 2014 05:07PM
Kernel linux-3.16.0-oxnas-tld-4 package was released (same as the last version we've been testing). Please see 1st post for download link.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 03, 2014 10:13AM
Bodhi-

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

My PogoPro is running on the your uboot and Debian FS with the latest 3.16.0-4 kernel. USB sound is working great. So, now I can do something useful with the Pogo V3.

I had a few questions about how to do this, so here's what I did that may help others:
  1. Started with a PogoPro with the basic Oxnas Arch install on a USB stick.
  2. Created a USB stick with Bodhi's Oxnas Debian filesystem on another Linux machine. Added the MAC address of the Pogo to the /etc/network/interfaces file.
  3. Connected and verified a working serial console connection to the Pogo. Learned how to use it.
  4. Booted into Arch on the PogoPro.
  5. Installed the new uboot following the instructions in Bodhi's uboot thread. Performed the steps for a FDT kernel as that is what is in Bodhi's Debian filesystem. If your mtd parts are different than what the instructions specify, it is not a problem. Mine were stock Arch and they ended up as Bodhi said they should be following the uboot install.
  6. At this point, you cannot access the uboot environment from the SSH shell.
  7. Shutdown the Pogo and replace the Arch USB with the Debian USB.
  8. Restart and interrupt the boot sequence with the serial console. Verify the uboot environment against the uboot thread, especially the boot commands. Set the ethraddr environment parameter to the MAC of the Pogo.
  9. If it's good (mine was), then reboot and you should be in Debian.
  10. Update kernel as desired following instructions in this thread. (The filesystem tar has a 3.12.13 kernel.)
It will boot without doing the MAC steps, (with the random MAC provided by Bodhi), but I think they should ultimately be correct, so you might as well do it prior to the first boot. It seems you can only set the boot environment variable from the serial console, not with the fw_setenv command.

Again, thanks for the great work on this, especially adding the sound modules to the kernel.
October 03, 2014 10:20AM
Bodhi-

A follow-up comment. Could you put the full/real URL of the kernel, filesystem, etc package into the post so we can get it easily with wget? It worked with the bit.ly link, but the filename was the arbitrary letters format, which might confuse folks. The tar did extract fine, though. Not a big problem, just a suggestion.
Hi!

I've just had a quick look on all pages...and you made me picking up my Pogo B04 again. The last time it ran, it was using Debian Squeezy completely from SATA disk. I don't like playing with NAND....any possibility to get this version running from SATA entirely?

Greetings!
October 03, 2014 04:06PM
morph027 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi!
>
> I've just had a quick look on all pages...and you
> made me picking up my Pogo B04 again. The last
> time it ran, it was using Debian Squeezy
> completely from SATA disk. I don't like playing
> with NAND....any possibility to get this version
> running from SATA entirely?
>
> Greetings!

I've only briefly looked at the Sata-only booting. To me it's good for recovery purpose, not much else. Booting with a modern u-boot in NAND is much more flexible.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
shv
October 04, 2014 01:31AM
@morph027:
you can find the necessary files (uboot.img, uboot.env, uboot-spl.bin) for SATA booting in the following message:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017,17297#msg-17297.

If you want we can discuss this topic in the uboot thread.

-shv
October 04, 2014 01:50AM
@morph027,

shv can help you with this for sure.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Thanks @shv , i'll have a look at this. Once the system is up and running, there's no reason not to update to latest uboot in NAND....but at the moment, i have no clue what version in which configuration is flashed.
October 04, 2014 03:34PM
morph027,

You must have started out with Arch kernel uImage in NAND first, and then made a SATA disk with everything on disk using WarheadsSE procedure, and then replace rootfs with one of the rootfs from Varkey or Shv.

The last time it ran, it was using Debian Squeezy completely from SATA disk.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Right, first i've started with Arch like described and later switched to WarheadsSE SATA startup. When Arch started to replace normal init with systemd, i've created a sata disk with this one: https://github.com/ingmar-k/Pogoplug_V3_Emdebian_Debian

As my other devices (goflex.net and pogo with kirkwood) are still running, it's not that urgent. But as autumn is progressing, i'm sure there will be another rainy day or lame evening i'll try to get things up and running ;)

So long,....
October 05, 2014 01:25PM
Ah! I forgot ingmar also has SATA disk installation documented. Good choice.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
October 05, 2014 01:31PM
Just a little heads up:
My scripts only work reliably and successfully with Debian Wheezy at the moment.

The switch to systemd on Jessie and Sid seems to have broken the standard process that I used, with /etc/rc.local to automatically run some installation steps.

I am working on a newer version of the scripts, which should fix this. I just thought I'd let you know, as I read about it here. ;-)
Maybe even a newer kernel version for the Qemu process will suffice. We'll see.
bodhi Wrote:
> I've only briefly looked at the Sata-only booting.
> To me it's good for recovery purpose, not much
> else. Booting with a modern u-boot in NAND is much
> more flexible.

But your u-boot in NAND can also boot kernel and rootfs from SATA, right?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.