Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Linux Kernel 5.4.268 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs

Posted by bodhi 
bodhi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, dpkg creates initrd.img-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1. But it doesn't seem to create initrd.img-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1.
Re: Linux Kernel 4.1 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
March 30, 2016 03:27AM
Nilk,

Post the log of this:

cd /boot
dpkg -i linux-image-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1_1.0_armel.deb
ls -lart

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
bodhi,

Here is the log:

root@debian:/boot# dpkg -i linux-image-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1_1.0_armel.deb 
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1.
(Reading database ... 27230 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack linux-image-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1_1.0_armel.deb ...
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^(.*?)(\\)?\${ <-- HERE ([^{}]+)}(.*)$/ at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 72.
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ([^}]+)}/ at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 30.
Examining /etc/kernel/preinst.d/
Done.
Unpacking linux-image-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1 (1.0) ...
Setting up linux-image-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1 (1.0) ...
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/^(.*?)(\\)?\${ <-- HERE ([^{}]+)}(.*)$/ at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 72.
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ([^}]+)}/ at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 30.

Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1/build
 However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1/source

Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1 /boot/vmlinuz-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1 /boot/vmlinuz-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-flash-kernel 4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1 /boot/vmlinuz-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1
root@debian:/boot# ls -lart
total 93164
drwxr-xr-x 21 root root     4096 Jan  1  1970 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root    98866 Oct 25  2014 config-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  4102640 Oct 26  2014 zImage-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  4102640 Oct 26  2014 vmlinuz-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  1519590 Oct 26  2014 System.map-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  9105612 Oct 26  2014 linux-headers-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1_1_armel.deb
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 11067364 Oct 26  2014 linux-image-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1_1_armel.deb
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   561870 Oct 27  2014 linux-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1.patch
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   107205 Jul  1  2015 config-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root  4488456 Jul  1  2015 zImage-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1
-rw-------  1 root root  4488456 Jul  1  2015 vmlinuz-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1
-rw-------  1 root root  1670156 Jul  1  2015 System.map-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 11076358 Jul  1  2015 linux-image-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1_1.0_armel.deb
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  7094560 Jul  1  2015 linux-headers-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1_1.0_armel.deb
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   413793 Jul  2  2015 linux-4.1.0-oxnas-tld-1.patch
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  3344043 Mar 27 09:57 initrd.img-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 24498898 Mar 29 16:10 linux-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1-bodhi.tar.bz2
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root     4096 Mar 29 16:11 dts
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  4102704 Mar 29 16:12 uImage
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  3344107 Mar 29 16:12 uInitrd
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root     4096 Mar 30 20:13 .
Re: Linux Kernel 4.1 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
March 30, 2016 05:57PM
Notice the errors. You should do

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

And try dpkg again.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
No luck. I might have messed up with the dpkg config files somehow.
May 06, 2016 11:34PM
Now that I have some free time to get back to this subject for the new OXNAS kernel. I'm afraid the bad news is I'm going to wait out longer before building the OXNAS kernel. Since the 4.1 is a LTS kernel, it is basically 1 more year before it become obsolete.

This was my conlusion after researching. There is an inherent problem with SMP in the ARM11MPCore, that people have been trying to solve. If anybody is interested, read the whole thread. This is cache cohenrency problem that's inherent in ARM11MPCore:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg177415.html

Basically, why OpenWrt patch for OXNAS works: PREEMPT is not used. So OpenWrt kernel is a desktop oriented kernel, not preemptive. Our kernel is preemptive (which in layman speak: more responsive), while a non-preemptive kernel is time-shared (less responsive, more suited for multi-user system). That brought me to do more research, and my finding seems to indicate that all OpenWrt kernels are non-preemptive.

Now the show stopper. I've built the OXNAS kernel using the exact configuration that OpenWrt used, and it runs fine! However, as soon as I added Debian features (such as initrd) to the configuration, the cache coherency problem surfaced :) So it is either I did not get all the necessary patches in, or it is just an issue of OpenWrt patch is not enough to work around this fundemental problem. Note that it cannot be solved, just working around.

We've been running this kernel up until 4.1 without problem. But apparently something changed in the newer kernel that has brought out this architectural problem in ARM11MPCore once again.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
jay
May 11, 2016 08:09PM
hi,
i installed the Debian-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 package and rebooted.
all fine. then i made a dist-upgrade to jessie and got the warning:

Please upgrade your kernel before or while upgrading udev.

AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can force the installation of this version of udev
WHICH DOES NOT WORK WITH YOUR RUNNING KERNEL AND WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM
AT THE NEXT REBOOT by creating the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file.
There is always a safer way to upgrade, do not try this unless you
understand what you are doing!

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/udev_215-17+deb8u4_armel.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

what should i do at best? (didnt i read that 3.17.0 is already jessie ready?)
jay
May 11, 2016 09:05PM
jay,

Debian-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 is still wheezy. So when you upgrade to jessie, you will need to

1. Install the latest kernel 4.1 in the 1st post. Make sure it works first.

2. change apt source list (adjust the mirror to your location)

cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian jessie main
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main contrib non-free

deb     http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-updates main contrib
deb-src http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-updates main contrib

3. And then do
apt-get dist-upgrade

4. Most likely you will need to regenerate uInitrd after the upgrade in step 3.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
jay
May 11, 2016 09:41PM
hi bodhi,
thanks.
then i misinterpreted the info.
i will try again with first updating to kernel 4.1...

meanwhile i tried to finish the upgrade by creating the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file and complete the dist-upgrade

now it boots fine with the 3.17 kernel. but one bad thing:

on boot:

[ OK ] Started LSB: Starts klogd.
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-ttyS0.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Serial Getty on ttyS0.
[ OK ] Reached target Login Prompts.
[ OK ] Reached target Multi-User System.
[ OK ] Reached target Graphical Interface.
Starting Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes...
[ OK ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

and the serial console is dead...

if i connect by ssh, i can see the boot was sucsessful.
what could be wrong with ttys0?

edit:
i recall my question:
I found out that a newer version of systemd requires a kernel with configuration option CONFIG_FHANDLE=y
so it seems that this is also a kernel issue...

tnx
jay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 09:47PM by jay.
May 11, 2016 10:31PM
Just go back to sysvinit. And you can always boot systemd whenever you feel like it later.

To go back to sysvinit

apt-get install sysvinit-core sysvinit sysvinit-utils

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 10:32PM by bodhi.
Hi There
Just got my bricked pogoplug connected (physically) to my ubuntu computer, OK that's as far as I got, after which there are full instructions on how to make the Dolphin valves expurgate the thribble device without extruding the plong matrix (I'm a tad confused as the instructions assume a certain level of competence, which I am sadly lacking) .

So, is there a dummies guide?

I want to know how to compile the UBOOT file (and where it is when I have done so) Pogoplug E02 (Pink)

How to connect to my pogoplug using JTAG and read the information (what terminal window and what utility to use)

How to flash UBOOT to the NAND on my pogoplug

(I know that I'm asking a huge one, but all the how tos I have read are assuming that I "simply" do certain actions, I have been back and forth serching for answers and they aren't defined (I'm assuming that this is due to the multiple pathways that can be taken) can we have an instruction set that plots it out in steps that newbies can get their heads around please, with pictures would be lovely)
August 24, 2016 04:24PM
Rob Malkin,

> So, is there a dummies guide?

No, there is no dummies guide. It's a hacking forum, so generally the guides assume you have some basic knowledge of Linux, and you can use the man page to learn command line syntax.

To start learning how people do certain things, look at the Wiki thread:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,23630

> How to flash UBOOT to the NAND on my pogoplug

See the u-boot thread for Pogo V3 (Note that it is different from the Pogo E02).
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,16017

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 04:27PM by bodhi.
September 21, 2016 02:53PM
Hi bodhi,

do you have any plans to compile a new kernel for the Pogo?

Thanks
September 21, 2016 06:16PM
schnee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi bodhi,
>
> do you have any plans to compile a new kernel for
> the Pogo?
>
> Thanks

Not atm. Since there is some developer actively trying to mainline thix box, I am waiting to see if that effort is successful before renewing this subject.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
bodhi Wrote:
> Not atm. Since there is some developer actively trying to mainline thix box, I am waiting to see
> if that effort is successful before renewing this subject.

It's good to hear that there may be that possibility. In the mean time though I have discovered that the patch for kernel version 4.1.0 provided in bodhi's tarball in the original post works on the latest 4.1-series kernel (4.1.33). It took around seven hours for my pogoplug to compile it, but it works:

user@pogoplug:~$ uname -r
4.1.33-oxnas-tld-1
September 24, 2016 05:07PM
multiplex'd Wrote:
> bodhi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not atm. Since there is some developer actively
> trying to mainline thix box, I am waiting to see
> > if that effort is successful before renewing
> this subject.
>
> It's good to hear that there may be that
> possibility. In the mean time though I have
> discovered that the patch for kernel version 4.1.0
> provided in bodhi's tarball in the original post
> works on the latest 4.1-series kernel (4.1.33). It
> took around seven hours for my pogoplug to compile
> it, but it works:
>
>
> user@pogoplug:~$ uname -r
> 4.1.33-oxnas-tld-1
>

Thanks for the report!

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
September 24, 2016 08:06PM
The bad news is we have not heard from this developer regarding mainlining OX820 for a couple months! So I am pessimistic.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Update to my earlier post:

Kernel version 4.1.34 has been released, and that seems to work with bodhi's 4.1.0 patch as well:

user@pogoplug:~$ uname -r
4.1.34-oxnas-tld-1
November 21, 2016 08:25PM
Good news! There is activity upstream for the Pogo V3. Will see if I will be able restart this kernel too.

Update:

This activity looks very promising.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2016 11:45PM by bodhi.
Hi,

I'm currently upstreaming the OXNAS platform, on my spare time, a few patches by kernel version.

As for 4.9, OX810SE is booting, as for 4.10 which will released in february 2017, OX820 will have SMP, NAND & Ethernet support.
The Upstream kernel does not implement the FIQ SMP fixup, but a less performant but more generic fixup inherited from ARM's MPCore platform.
USB support needs some quirks and PLL support, which must be evaluated.
PCI needs cleaning a pushing the driver, but I only own a PogoPlug V3 without PCIe.
I will maybe be able so push a single-slot SATA driver, but USB is my priority for next development period.

If someone wants to collaborate, there is a mailing list at : linux-oxnas@lists.tuxfamily.org
A patchwork sub-project : https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-oxnas/list/
and a Linux repository clone at https://github.com/OXNAS/linux with all the work pushed here.
December 05, 2016 03:39AM
Hi Neil,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for doing all the hard works upstreaming this box.

> I'm currently upstreaming the OXNAS platform, on
> my spare time, a few patches by kernel version.
>
> As for 4.9, OX810SE is booting, as for 4.10 which
> will released in february 2017, OX820 will have
> SMP, NAND & Ethernet support.
> The Upstream kernel does not implement the FIQ SMP
> fixup, but a less performant but more generic
> fixup inherited from ARM's MPCore platform.
> USB support needs some quirks and PLL support,
> which must be evaluated.
> PCI needs cleaning a pushing the driver, but I
> only own a PogoPlug V3 without PCIe.

Several of us here own the Pro version with PCIe.

> I will maybe be able so push a single-slot SATA
> driver, but USB is my priority for next
> development period.
>
> If someone wants to collaborate, there is a
> mailing list at : linux-oxnas@lists.tuxfamily.org
> A patchwork sub-project :
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-oxnas/l
> ist/
> and a Linux repository clone at
> https://github.com/OXNAS/linux with all the work
> pushed here.

I will build a test kernel from the OXNAS Git as you have set it up, and provide it here so anyone who is interested will jump in and help with testing.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
December 08, 2016 06:09AM
Thanks to Superna for the inspiration and the information from upstream code :) Between that and OpenWrt patches and some google-fu, I've finally tracked down the root cause of the SMP kernel panic.

So I should be able to restart distribution for this kernel again in the near future.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.38 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
December 12, 2016 03:45PM
I've uploaded kernel linux-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 package. Please see 1st post for download link.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.38 Pogo V3 (Oxnas OX820) package and rootfs (Flattened Device Tree)
February 07, 2017 01:01AM
Last post moved here:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,32538

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.38 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
February 24, 2017 09:20PM
where to download Latest released rootfs: Debian-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 (02 Nov 2014)?
February 24, 2017 10:22PM
youxiaojie Wrote:
> where to download Latest released rootfs: Debian-
> 3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 (02 Nov 20
> 14)?

Scroll down and find the section:

Updated 02 Nov 2014:

Rootfs Debian-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 was uploaded. This rootfs is to keep in sync with kernel Linux-3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
March 02, 2017 12:29AM
Kernel linux-4.4.48-oxnas-tld-1 package was uploaded. Please see 1st post for download link.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Re: Linux Kernel 4.4.48 Oxnas (OX820) Pogo V3 package and Debian rootfs
March 09, 2017 08:47PM
Hi Bodhi,

First thing, Thanks for all your work Bohdi! Without it, we'd no longer be able to enjoy our Pogo's.

My Pogo v3 Debian system running on a hdd became very unstable after running very well for over a month. I had it set up and just left it basically idling 24-7 next to my other Pogo's. I noticed it was no longer available on my local network after I read the post about setting up a print server. I could managed to get it restarted, but it would only stay up for a min or so.

Without really troubleshoot it, I assumed the used hdd, which was determined "bad" by a local computer shop, is / was the culprit. The hdd did test bad via my own testing using GSmartControl with NTFS format prior to reformatting it to the ext3 and 4 files systems. It tested OK after that, so i used it on the Pogo v3.

Without retesting the hdd in question, I decided to do a new Debian install on a USB again. I nuked the original after copying it to the hdd. The new USB install is pretty much a duplicate of the original.

U-Boot 2015.10-tld-1.
Debian-3.17.0 rootfs
Kernel: linux-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5.

The reason for this post is to communicate that I had some issues with both installs on updating the kernels. I thought the first install was just me screwing up somehow. I did manage to get the kernel updated in both cases, but with workarounds to get uImage and uInitrd. I don't exactly recall what I did on the first install. For the second install, I copied pasted uImage and uInitrd after the stock Debian kernel finished installing, but wouldn't boot. So I used your kernel, and used uImage and uInitrd from the unbootable attempt. If I skipped step 4, I had an error about not having something available needed to create uImage and uInitrd. I never did experienced a flash-kernel error.

Have any ideas where I may have missed something? I'm pretty sure it's related to step 4 below.
Could a prebuilt uImage and uInitrd be provided with linux-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5.bodhi.tar.bz2 ?
Could you also please explain the kernel update process, keeping in mind I'm not familiar with Debian?
Does the kernel update span across a Debian release cycle?

Guide

4. And install it with dpkg. If you encounter error with flash-kernel when running dpkg, then remove flash-kernel first to avoid potential problem (It is much better to generate uImage and uInitrd manually anyway):
cd /boot
apt-get remove flash-kernel 
dpkg -i linux-image-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5_5_armel.deb

I managed to copy my terminal output during one kernel update attempt per below. I was installing it in a cleaned empty /boot directory.

[jeff@Arch2014p9 ~]$ ssh root@192.168.xxx.xxx

root@192.168.xxx.xxx's password: 
Linux debian 3.17.0-oxnas-tld-1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 25 15:59:43 PDT 2014 armv6l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Tue Mar  7 16:47:43 2017 from 192.168.xxx.xxx

root@debian:~# cd /boot

root@debian:/boot# tar -xjf linux-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5.bodhi.tar.bz2

root@debian:/boot# tar -xf linux-dtb-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5.tar

root@debian:/boot# apt-get remove flash-kernel 

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package 'flash-kernel' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

root@debian:/boot# dpkg -i linux-image-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5_5_armel.deb

(Reading database ... 11882 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-image-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 5 (using linux-image-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5_5_armel.deb) ...

Package configuration
 ───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────Configuring linux-image-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│ You are attempting to install a kernel image (version 4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5) However, the directory /lib/modules/4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5/kernel still      │  
│ exists.  If this directory belongs to a previous linux-image-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 package, and if you have deselected some modules, or installed     │  
│ standalone modules packages, this could be bad.                                                                                                    │  
│                                                                                                                                                    │  
│ If /lib/modules/4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5/kernel belongs to an old install of linux-image-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5, then this is your last chance to abort      │  
│ the installation of this kernel image (nothing has been changed yet).                                                                              │  
│                                                                                                                                                    │  
│ If you know what you are doing, and if you feel that this image should be installed despite this anomaly, Please answer n to the question.         │  
│ Otherwise, I suggest you move /lib/modules/4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5/kernel out of the way, perhaps to /lib/modules/4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5.kernel.old or      │  
│ something, and then try re-installing this image.                                                                                                  │  
├────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤  
│                                                                     <  OK  >                                                                       │  
└────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘  

Package configuration
 ───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

┌─────────Configuring linux-image-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5────────────┐
                                           │  Stop install since the kernel-image is already installed?    │  
                                           │                                                               │  
                                           │                                                               │  
                                           ├───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤  
                                           │                   < Yes >          < No  >                    │  
                                           └───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘  

Examining /etc/kernel/preinst.d/
Done.
Unpacking replacement linux-image-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5
Setting up linux-image-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 (5) ...

Hmm. There is a symbolic link /lib/modules/4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5/build
 However, I can not read it: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5/build

Hmm. The package shipped with a symbolic link /lib/modules/4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5/source
 However, I can not read the target: No such file or directory
 Therefore, I am deleting /lib/modules/4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5/source

Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-flash-kernel 4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5

root@debian:/boot# mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x60008000 -e 0x60008000 -n Linux-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 -d vmlinuz-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 uImage

Image Name:   Linux-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5
Created:      Tue Mar  7 17:31:36 2017
Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
Data Size:    4566376 Bytes = 4459.35 kB = 4.35 MB
Load Address: 60008000
Entry Point:  60008000

root@debian:/boot# mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x60000000 -e 0x60000000 -n initramfs-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5  -d initrd.img-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 uInitrd

Image Name:   initramfs-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5
Created:      Tue Mar  7 17:31:54 2017
Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
Data Size:    3048542 Bytes = 2977.09 kB = 2.91 MB
Load Address: 60000000
Entry Point:  60000000

root@debian:/boot# sync

root@debian:/boot# fw_printenv

bootcmd=run bootcmd_uenv; run scan_disk; run set_bootargs; run bootcmd_exec; reset
bootcmd_exec=run load_uimage; if run load_initrd; then if run load_dtb; then bootm 0x60500000 0x60e00000 0x62c00000; else bootm 0x60500000 0x60e00000; fi; else if run load_dtb; then bootm 0x60500000 - 0x62c00000; else bootm 0x60500000; fi; fi
bootcmd_uenv=run uenv_load; if test $uenv_loaded -eq 1; then run uenv_import; fi
bootdelay=5
bootdev=usb
device=0:1
devices=usb ide
disks=0 1 2 3
dtb_addr=0x62c00000
dtb_file=/boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-pro.dtb
ethact=dwmac.40400000
ethaddr=52:3b:20:9c:11:51
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
load_dtb=echo loading DTB $dtb_file ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x62c00000 $dtb_file
load_initrd=echo loading uInitrd ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x60e00000 /boot/uInitrd
load_uimage=echo loading uImage ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x60500000 /boot/uImage
mainlineLinux=yes
mtdids=nand0=41000000.nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=41000000.nand:14m(boot),-(data)
preboot_nc=run if_netconsole start_netconsole
scan_disk=echo running scan_disk ...; scan_done=0; setenv scan_usb "usb start";  setenv scan_ide "ide reset";  setenv scan_mmc "mmc rescan"; for dev in $devices; do if test $scan_done -eq 0; then echo Scan device $dev; run scan_$dev; for disknum in $disks; do if test $scan_done -eq 0; then echo device $dev $disknum:1; if ext2load $dev $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uImage 1; then scan_done=1; echo Found bootable drive on $dev $disknum; setenv device $disknum:1; setenv bootdev $dev; fi; fi; done; fi; done
set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=LABEL=rootfs rootdelay=10 $mtdparts $custom_params
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;
stderr=serial
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
uenv_import=echo importing envs ...; env import -t 0x60500000
uenv_init_devices=setenv init_usb "usb start";  setenv init_ide "ide reset";  setenv init_mmc "mmc rescan"; for devtype in $devices; do run init_$devtype; done;
uenv_load=run uenv_init_devices; setenv uenv_loaded 0; for devtype in $devices;  do for disknum in 0; do run uenv_read_disk; done; done;
uenv_read=echo loading envs from $devtype $disknum ...; if load $devtype $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uEnv.txt; then setenv uenv_loaded 1; fi
uenv_read_disk=if test $devtype -eq mmc; then if $devtype part; then run uenv_read;  fi; else if $devtype part $disknum; then run uenv_read; fi;  fi
uimage_addr=0x60500000
uinitrd_addr=0x60e00000
usb_custom_params=zswap.enabled=1
usb_ready_retry=15

root@debian:/boot#

My current working USB install below. Have any clues for the odd network related output. I don't recall exactly what config change attempt (of many tries) that actually fixed it. I prefer DHCP over static and had it working on the prior install without all the errors. 192.168.same is my router ip.

[jeff@Arch2014p9 ~]$ picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0
picocom v2.2

port is        : /dev/ttyUSB0
flowcontrol    : none
baudrate is    : 115200
parity is      : none
databits are   : 8
stopbits are   : 1
escape is      : C-a
local echo is  : no
noinit is      : no
noreset is     : no
nolock is      : no
send_cmd is    : sz -vv
receive_cmd is : rz -vv -E
imap is        : 
omap is        : 
emap is        : crcrlf,delbs,

Type [C-a] [C-h] to see available commands

Terminal ready

INIT: Sending pro[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel 6.:
[....] Stopping busybox' syslogd implementation: syslogd1846 (syslogd)
. ok 
[ ok ] Stopping Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon.
[....] Stopping busybox' klogd implementation: klogd1845 (klogd)
Stopped klogd (pid 1845).
. ok 
[ ok ] Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
[ ok ] Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon....
[ ok ] Asking all remaining processes to terminate...done.
[ ok ] All processes ended within 1 seconds...done.
rpcbind: rpcbind terminating on signal. Restart with "rpcbind -w"
[ ok ] Stopping rpcbind daemon....
[ ok ] Stopping NFS common utilities: idmapd statd.
[....] Deconfiguring network interfaces...Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.2
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/52:3b:20:9c:11:51
Sending on   LPF/eth0/52:3b:20:9c:11:51
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPRELEASE on eth0 to 192.168.same port 67
done.
[ ok ] Unmounting temporary filesystems...done.
[ ok ] Deactivating swap...done.
[84548.123658] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
[info] Will now restart.
[84550.253749] reboot: Restarting system

U-Boot SPL 2013.10-tld-4 (Sep 07 2014 - 14:10:12)
  Boot device: NAND
Attempting to set PLLA to 850 MHz ...
  plla_ctrl0 : 0000020a
  plla_ctrl1 : 00330000
  plla_ctrl2 : 0065008b
  plla_ctrl3 : 000000f1

PLLA Set

U-Boot 2015.10-tld-1 (Nov 21 2015 - 01:17:59 -0800)
OXNAS OX820

DRAM:  128 MiB
NAND:  128 MiB
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   dwmac.40400000
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0 
starting USB...
USB0:   USB EHCI 1.00
scanning bus 0 for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 1 Storage Device(s) found

Reset IDE: SATA PHY not ready for device 0
ide_preinit failed

Partition Map for USB device 0  --   Partition Type: DOS

Part	Start Sector	Num Sectors	UUID		Type
  1	8064      	30232704  	899f56d4-01	83
loading envs from usb 0 ...
** File not found /boot/uEnv.txt **

no IDE devices available
running scan_disk ...
Scan device usb
device usb 0:1
1 bytes read in 285 ms (0 Bytes/s)
Found bootable drive on usb 0
loading uImage ...
4566440 bytes read in 490 ms (8.9 MiB/s)
loading uInitrd ...
3048582 bytes read in 436 ms (6.7 MiB/s)
loading DTB /boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-pro.dtb ...
7067 bytes read in 259 ms (26.4 KiB/s)
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 60500000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5
   Created:      2017-03-08   2:33:45 UTC
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    4566376 Bytes = 4.4 MiB
   Load Address: 60008000
   Entry Point:  60008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
## Loading init Ramdisk from Legacy Image at 60e00000 ...
   Image Name:   initramfs-4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5
   Created:      2017-03-08   2:34:01 UTC
   Image Type:   ARM Linux RAMDisk Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    3048518 Bytes = 2.9 MiB
   Load Address: 60000000
   Entry Point:  60000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 62c00000
   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x62c00000
   Loading Kernel Image ... OK
   Loading Ramdisk to 67b43000, end 67e2b446 ... OK
   Loading Device Tree to 67b3e000, end 67b42b9a ... OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
[    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0
[    0.000000] Linux version 4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 (root@tldDebian) (gcc version 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 11 17:32:48 PST 2016
[    0.000000] CPU: ARMv6-compatible processor [410fb025] revision 5 (ARMv7), cr=00c5787d
[    0.000000] CPU: PIPT / VIPT nonaliasing data cache, VIPT aliasing instruction cache
[    0.000000] Machine model: Pogoplug V3 Pro
[    0.000000] Memory policy: Data cache writealloc
[    0.000000] DT missing boot CPU MPIDR[23:0], fall back to default cpu_logical_map
[    0.000000] PERCPU: Embedded 12 pages/cpu @c7eda000 s17696 r8192 d23264 u49152
[    0.000000] Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 32512
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 root=LABEL=rootfs rootdelay=10 mtdparts=41000000.nand:14m(boot),-(data)
[    0.000000] PID hash table entries: 512 (order: -1, 2048 bytes)
[    0.000000] Dentry cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
[    0.000000] Inode-cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
[    0.000000] Memory: 117808K/131072K available (6329K kernel code, 288K rwdata, 1888K rodata, 228K init, 247K bss, 13264K reserved, 0K cma-reserved)
[    0.000000] Virtual kernel memory layout:
[    0.000000]     vector  : 0xffff0000 - 0xffff1000   (   4 kB)
[    0.000000]     fixmap  : 0xffc00000 - 0xfff00000   (3072 kB)
[    0.000000]     vmalloc : 0xc8800000 - 0xff800000   ( 880 MB)
[    0.000000]     lowmem  : 0xc0000000 - 0xc8000000   ( 128 MB)
[    0.000000]     modules : 0xbf000000 - 0xc0000000   (  16 MB)
[    0.000000]       .text : 0xc0008000 - 0xc080e890   (8219 kB)
[    0.000000]       .init : 0xc080f000 - 0xc0848000   ( 228 kB)
[    0.000000]       .data : 0xc0848000 - 0xc0890178   ( 289 kB)
[    0.000000]        .bss : 0xc0890178 - 0xc08ce130   ( 248 kB)
[    0.000000] SLUB: HWalign=32, Order=0-3, MinObjects=0, CPUs=2, Nodes=1
[    0.000000] Preemptible hierarchical RCU implementation.
[    0.000000] NR_IRQS:160
[    0.000000] clocksource: rps_clocksource_timer: mask: 0xffffff max_cycles: 0xffffff, max_idle_ns: 19112603332 ns
[    0.000010] sched_clock: 24 bits at 390kHz, resolution 2560ns, wraps every 21474835200ns
[    0.000166] Console: colour dummy device 80x30
[    0.000199] Calibrating delay loop... 339.14 BogoMIPS (lpj=1695744)
[    0.050017] pid_max: default: 32768 minimum: 301
[    0.050191] Mount-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.050209] Mountpoint-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.051028] Initializing cgroup subsys net_cls
[    0.051107] CPU: Testing write buffer coherency: ok
[    0.051530] Setting up static identity map for 0x60008220 - 0x60008258
[    0.190133] Brought up 2 CPUs
[    0.190156] SMP: Total of 2 processors activated (678.29 BogoMIPS).
[    0.190945] devtmpfs: initialized
[    0.195978] clocksource: jiffies: mask: 0xffffffff max_cycles: 0xffffffff, max_idle_ns: 19112604462750000 ns
[    0.196244] prandom: seed boundary self test passed
[    0.201103] prandom: 100 self tests passed
[    0.201131] pinctrl core: initialized pinctrl subsystem
[    0.201986] NET: Registered protocol family 16
[    0.202552] DMA: preallocated 256 KiB pool for atomic coherent allocations
[    0.230018] cpuidle: using governor ladder
[    0.260011] cpuidle: using governor menu
[    0.265292] gpio-oxnas 44000000.gpio: at address c8848000
[    0.265681] gpio-oxnas 44100000.gpio: at address c884a000
[    0.266247] pinctrl-oxnas pinctrl: initialized OX820 pinctrl driver
[    0.389166] oxnas-pcie 47c00000.pcie-controller: PCIe version/deviceID 0x82510b5
[    0.389245] oxnas-pcie 47c00000.pcie-controller: link up
[    0.389585] oxnas-pcie 47c00000.pcie-controller: PCI host bridge to bus 0000:00
[    0.389614] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [mem 0x48000000-0x49ffffff]
[    0.389632] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [mem 0x4a000000-0x4bdfffff pref]
[    0.389649] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [io  0x0000-0xfffff]
[    0.389670] pci_bus 0000:00: root bus resource [bus 00-7f]
[    0.390302] PCI: bus0: Fast back to back transfers disabled
[    0.390394] pci 0000:00:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0x48000000-0x4800ffff]
[    0.390860] vgaarb: loaded
[    0.391349] SCSI subsystem initialized
[    0.392212] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    0.392337] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    0.392494] usbcore: registered new device driver usb
[    0.392693] pps_core: LinuxPPS API ver. 1 registered
[    0.392709] pps_core: Software ver. 5.3.6 - Copyright 2005-2007 Rodolfo Giometti <giometti@linux.it>
[    0.392755] PTP clock support registered
[    0.394933] clocksource: Switched to clocksource rps_clocksource_timer
[    0.413982] NET: Registered protocol family 2
[    0.414878] TCP established hash table entries: 1024 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
[    0.414922] TCP bind hash table entries: 1024 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
[    0.414955] TCP: Hash tables configured (established 1024 bind 1024)
[    0.415052] UDP hash table entries: 256 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
[    0.415091] UDP-Lite hash table entries: 256 (order: 1, 8192 bytes)
[    0.415357] NET: Registered protocol family 1
[    0.415918] RPC: Registered named UNIX socket transport module.
[    0.415938] RPC: Registered udp transport module.
[    0.415948] RPC: Registered tcp transport module.
[    0.415959] RPC: Registered tcp NFSv4.1 backchannel transport module.
[    0.416345] Unpacking initramfs...
[    0.725153] Freeing initrd memory: 2980K (c7b43000 - c7e2c000)
[    0.726648] futex hash table entries: 512 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
[    0.726819] Initialise system trusted keyring
[    0.741240] zbud: loaded
[    0.746700] NFS: Registering the id_resolver key type
[    0.746762] Key type id_resolver registered
[    0.746777] Key type id_legacy registered
[    0.746823] nfs4filelayout_init: NFSv4 File Layout Driver Registering...
[    0.746849] Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 okir@monad.swb.de).
[    0.747806] fuse init (API version 7.23)
[    0.749898] Key type big_key registered
[    0.842872] Key type asymmetric registered
[    0.842908] Asymmetric key parser 'x509' registered
[    0.843048] Block layer SCSI generic (bsg) driver version 0.4 loaded (major 252)
[    0.843074] io scheduler noop registered
[    0.843097] io scheduler deadline registered
[    0.843164] io scheduler cfq registered (default)
[    0.843873] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 1 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
[    0.845442] console [ttyS0] disabled
[    0.845537] 44200000.uart: ttyS0 at MMIO 0x44200000 (irq = 6, base_baud = 390625) is a 16550A
[    1.428759] console [ttyS0] enabled
[    1.443863] loop: module loaded
[    1.449064] scsi host0: sata_oxnas
[    1.452953] ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 irq 7
[    1.457054] sata_oxnas: resetting SATA core
[    1.458132] nand: Could not find valid ONFI parameter page; aborting
[    1.458176] nand: device found, Manufacturer ID: 0xad, Chip ID: 0xf1
[    1.458183] nand: Hynix NAND 128MiB 3,3V 8-bit
[    1.458191] nand: 128 MiB, SLC, erase size: 128 KiB, page size: 2048, OOB size: 64
[    1.458209] Scanning device for bad blocks
[    1.540820] 2 cmdlinepart partitions found on MTD device 41000000.nand
[    1.547317] Creating 2 MTD partitions on "41000000.nand":
[    1.552724] 0x000000000000-0x000000e00000 : "boot"
[    1.559470] 0x000000e00000-0x000008000000 : "data"
[    1.566881] oxnas-gmac 40400000.ethernet: no reset control found
[    1.572920] stmmac - user ID: 0x12, Synopsys ID: 0x35
[    1.577948]  Ring mode enabled
[    1.581007]  DMA HW capability register supported
[    1.585512]  Enhanced/Alternate descriptors
[    1.589839] 	Enabled extended descriptors
[    1.593845]  RX Checksum Offload Engine supported (type 2)
[    1.599301]  TX Checksum insertion supported
[    1.603563]  Wake-Up On Lan supported
[    1.607203]  Enable RX Mitigation via HW Watchdog Timer
[    1.633282] libphy: stmmac: probed
[    1.636679] eth0: PHY ID 001cc914 at 0 IRQ POLL (stmmac-0:00) active
[    1.643056] eth0: PHY ID 001cc914 at 3 IRQ POLL (stmmac-0:03)
[    1.648862] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
[    1.653591] rt2800pci 0000:00:00.0: enabling device (0140 -> 0142)
[    1.659911] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rt: Info - RT chipset 3090, rev 3213 detected
[    1.671144] ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00_set_rf: Info - RF chipset 0005 detected
[    1.680453] ehci_hcd: USB 2.0 'Enhanced' Host Controller (EHCI) Driver
[    1.686968] ehci-pci: EHCI PCI platform driver
[    1.691852] oxnas-ehci 40200100.ehci: EHCI Host Controller
[    1.697367] oxnas-ehci 40200100.ehci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[    1.705231] oxnas-ehci 40200100.ehci: irq 10, io mem 0x40200100
[    1.730004] oxnas-ehci 40200100.ehci: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00
[    1.736312] usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
[    1.743119] usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[    1.750336] usb usb1: Product: EHCI Host Controller
[    1.755189] usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 ehci_hcd
[    1.761620] usb usb1: SerialNumber: 40200100.ehci
[    1.767347] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    1.771207] hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
[    1.776220] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
[    1.781911] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
[    1.790049] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_wdm
[    1.795855] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[    1.802078] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[    1.807951] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[    1.814548] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[    1.821035] mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[    1.826777] i2c /dev entries driver
[    1.831677] hidraw: raw HID events driver (C) Jiri Kosina
[    1.837294] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[    1.842897] usbhid: USB HID core driver
[    1.848750] NET: Registered protocol family 10
[    1.860154] ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 310)
[    1.870940] sit: IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
[    1.876595] NET: Registered protocol family 17
[    1.881308] Key type dns_resolver registered
[    1.886983] registered taskstats version 1
[    1.891148] Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates
[    1.896038] zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud
[    1.919403] Key type encrypted registered
[    1.942730] Freeing unused kernel memory: 228K (c080f000 - c0848000)
Loading, please wait...
[    2.079662] udevd[98]: starting version 175
[    2.090109] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using oxnas-ehci
[    2.252234] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=05e3, idProduct=0608
[    2.286881] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
[    2.345282] usb 1-1: Product: USB2.0 Hub
[    2.365949] hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
[    2.392317] hub 1-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
[    2.710013] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 3 using oxnas-ehci
[    2.828003] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0930, idProduct=6545
[    2.834905] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[    2.842227] usb 1-1.3: Product: DataTraveler 2.0
[    2.846822] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Kingston
[    2.851182] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 50E549513589B011C9B46D5C
[    2.859560] usb-storage 1-1.3:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[    2.880271] scsi host1: usb-storage 1-1.3:1.0
[    2.900840] usbcore: registered new interface driver uas
[    3.883248] scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 PMAP PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[    3.899051] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] 30240768 512-byte logical blocks: (15.5 GB/14.4 GiB)
[    3.907735] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[    3.914373] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: disabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[    3.937607]  sda: sda1
[    3.951370] sd 1:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
Begin: Loading essential drivers ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-premount ... done.
Begin: Mounting root file system ... Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ... done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ... done.
modprobe: module ext3 not found in modules.dep
[   12.742361] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounting ext3 file system using the ext4 subsystem
[   12.765411] EXT4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ... done.
done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ... done.
INIT: version 2.88 booting
[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel S.
[....] Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd[   14.357952] udevd[302]: starting version 175
. ok 
[ ok ] Synthesizing the initial hotplug events...done.
[ ok ] Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...done.
[ ok ] Activating swap...done.
[   16.584634] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
[....] Checking root file system...[   16.638940] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
rootfs: clean, 27698/946560 files, 268747/3779088 blocks
done.
[   16.949258] EXT4-fs (sda1): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
[ ok ] Loading kernel modules...done.
[ ok ] Cleaning up temporary files... /lib/init/rw.
[ ok ] Activating lvm and md swap...done.
[....] Checking file systems...fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
done.
[ ok ] Mounting local filesystems...done.
[ ok ] Activating swapfile swap...done.
[ ok ] Cleaning up temporary files....
[ ok ] Setting kernel variables ...done.
[....] Configuring network interfaces...Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.2
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/52:3b:20:9c:11:51
Sending on   LPF/eth0/52:3b:20:9c:11:51
Sending on   Socket/fallback
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
[   27.890168] oxnas-gmac 40400000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control rx/tx
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.same
no expiry time on offered lease.
Server added to list of rejected servers.
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.same rejected by rule 192.168.same mask 255.255.255.255.
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 9
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 19
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
No DHCPOFFERS received.
Trying recorded lease 192.168.2.26
PING 192.168.same (192.168.same) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 192.168.same ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.321/1.321/1.321/0.000 ms
bound: renewal in 1489107096 seconds.
done.
[ ok ] Starting rpcbind daemon....
[ ok ] Starting NFS common utilities: statd idmapd.
[ ok ] Cleaning up temporary files....
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel 2.
[ ok ] Starting NTP server: ntpd.
[....] Starting busybox' syslogd implementation : syslogdStarting /sbin/syslogd...
1825 (syslogd)
. ok 
[ ok ] Starting rpcbind daemon...[....] Already running..
[ ok ] Starting system message bus: dbus.
[ ok ] Starting NFS common utilities: statd idmapd.
[....] Starting busybox' klogd implementation : klogdStarting /sbin/klogd...
[ ok ] Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon.
[warn] Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no exports. ... (warning).
[ ok ] Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
1821 (klogd)
. ok 

Debian GNU/Linux 7 PogoV3Debian ttyS0

PogoV3Debian login: jeff
Password: 
Linux PogoV3Debian 4.4.38-oxnas-tld-5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 11 17:32:48 PST 2016 armv6l

Debian 7.0 Wheezy

[jeff@PogoV3Debian ~]$

[jeff@PogoV3Debian ~]$ su
Password: 

[root@PogoV3Debian jeff]# fw_printenv

bootcmd=run bootcmd_uenv; run scan_disk; run set_bootargs; run bootcmd_exec; reset
bootcmd_exec=run load_uimage; if run load_initrd; then if run load_dtb; then bootm 0x60500000 0x60e00000 0x62c00000; else bootm 0x60500000 0x60e00000; fi; else if run load_dtb; then bootm 0x60500000 - 0x62c00000; else bootm 0x60500000; fi; fi
bootcmd_uenv=run uenv_load; if test $uenv_loaded -eq 1; then run uenv_import; fi
bootdelay=5
bootdev=usb
device=0:1
devices=usb ide
disks=0 1 2 3
dtb_addr=0x62c00000
dtb_file=/boot/dts/ox820-pogoplug-pro.dtb
ethact=dwmac.40400000
ethaddr=52:3b:20:9c:11:51
if_netconsole=ping $serverip
load_dtb=echo loading DTB $dtb_file ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x62c00000 $dtb_file
load_initrd=echo loading uInitrd ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x60e00000 /boot/uInitrd
load_uimage=echo loading uImage ...; ext2load $bootdev $device 0x60500000 /boot/uImage
mainlineLinux=yes
mtdids=nand0=41000000.nand
mtdparts=mtdparts=41000000.nand:14m(boot),-(data)
preboot_nc=run if_netconsole start_netconsole
scan_disk=echo running scan_disk ...; scan_done=0; setenv scan_usb "usb start";  setenv scan_ide "ide reset";  setenv scan_mmc "mmc rescan"; for dev in $devices; do if test $scan_done -eq 0; then echo Scan device $dev; run scan_$dev; for disknum in $disks; do if test $scan_done -eq 0; then echo device $dev $disknum:1; if ext2load $dev $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uImage 1; then scan_done=1; echo Found bootable drive on $dev $disknum; setenv device $disknum:1; setenv bootdev $dev; fi; fi; done; fi; done
set_bootargs=setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=LABEL=rootfs rootdelay=10 $mtdparts $custom_params
start_netconsole=setenv ncip $serverip; setenv bootdelay 10; setenv stdin nc; setenv stdout nc; setenv stderr nc; version;
stderr=serial
stdin=serial
stdout=serial
uenv_import=echo importing envs ...; env import -t 0x60500000
uenv_init_devices=setenv init_usb "usb start";  setenv init_ide "ide reset";  setenv init_mmc "mmc rescan"; for devtype in $devices; do run init_$devtype; done;
uenv_load=run uenv_init_devices; setenv uenv_loaded 0; for devtype in $devices;  do for disknum in 0; do run uenv_read_disk; done; done;
uenv_read=echo loading envs from $devtype $disknum ...; if load $devtype $disknum:1 0x60500000 /boot/uEnv.txt; then setenv uenv_loaded 1; fi
uenv_read_disk=if test $devtype -eq mmc; then if $devtype part; then run uenv_read;  fi; else if $devtype part $disknum; then run uenv_read; fi;  fi
uimage_addr=0x60500000
uinitrd_addr=0x60e00000
usb_custom_params=zswap.enabled=1
usb_ready_retry=15

--------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: www.jeffstory.org
March 09, 2017 11:38PM
Hi Jeff,

Everything looks goodl (except the dynamic IP).

1. The first errors when you install kernel with dpkg is OK. Because:

- The current kernel can only be removed with dpkg -remove or dpkg --purge (purge = remove and purge config files). Removing kernel files in /boot will not effect the installation, it only prevent booting that kernel because of missing files.

- When installing same kernel on top of the one running, dpkg will warn the users that the modules needed to be preserved if there were changes in there since installation (e.g. extra modules were installed). So you went ahead with the installation, the modules were copied on top of what were there.

- errors about missing ./build is OK. Just an artifact of my build process.

2. weird output about network! but it looks OK the 2nd time. So please monitor your serial console and let me know if you see that ".same" again,

UPDATE:

On closer read, it does look incorrect the 2nd time. But did you get the IP assigned after all? or no IP assigned?

UPDATE2:

Like I said above, if you have installed any extra modules (not likely since you did not mention it) then those modules will need to be reinstalled.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 11:45PM by bodhi.
March 09, 2017 11:52PM
Update3:

When you said "stock Debian kernel" above, which kernel did you mean to refer to?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.