Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prevent Kernel Update when using apt-get upgrade?

Posted by darkside40 
Prevent Kernel Update when using apt-get upgrade?
October 21, 2010 01:38AM
Hi there,
is there a way to prevent apt from upgrading jeffs Kernel when using apt-get upgrade command?
Re: Prevent Kernel Update when using apt-get upgrade?
October 21, 2010 02:25AM
echo linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood hold | dpkg --set-selections
should keep the update back.

Maybe it would be better to tune apt somewhere to run flash-kernel like lilo after an kernel update
ecc
October 21, 2010 11:07AM
_Oscar_ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe it would be better to tune apt somewhere to run flash-kernel like lilo after an kernel update

The flash-kernel NEWS file says that it is called automatically by update-initramfs, so that should already happen.
October 21, 2010 11:30AM
i don't get it.. it was running after updating udev, but NOT if I update the kernel:

Setting up udev (163-1) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/udev ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
[...]
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-kirkwood
Generating kernel u-boot image... done.
Creating backup of /boot/uImage.
Creating new /boot/uImage.
Generating initrd u-boot image... done.
Creating backup of /boot/uInitrd.
Creating new /boot/uInitrd.

Preparing to replace linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood 2.6.32-23 (using .../linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood_2.6.32-25_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 2.6.32-5-kirkwood /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood
Setting up linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood (2.6.32-25) ...
Running depmod.
Running update-initramfs.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 2.6.32-5-kirkwood /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood
Log ended

So it's called - but not always it needs to be called :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 11:33AM by _Oscar_.
ecc
October 21, 2010 01:30PM
I don't understand this either. I suggest posting to debian-arm@lists.debian.org, which should reach the maintainers of flash-kernel, as well as other knowledgeable people.
October 21, 2010 02:02PM
Bugreport (oct 2009): http://bugs.debian.org/550584

Patch: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=550584#44

#######
#dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood_2.6.32-25_armel.deb 
(Reading database ... 18675 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood 2.6.32-25 (using .../linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood_2.6.32-25_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 2.6.32-5-kirkwood /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood
Setting up linux-image-2.6.32-5-kirkwood (2.6.32-25) ...
Running depmod.
Running update-initramfs.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 2.6.32-5-kirkwood /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz_flash-kernel 2.6.32-5-kirkwood /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-kirkwood
Generating kernel u-boot image... done.
Creating backup of /boot/uImage.
Creating new /boot/uImage.
Generating initrd u-boot image... done.
Creating backup of /boot/uInitrd.
Creating new /boot/uInitrd.

[x] solved
October 21, 2010 05:45PM
So does installing flash-kernel result in a usable setup on the Dockstars? That is, we don't have to run mkimage manually as it does in Jeff's install script, but just install the flash-kernel package and it'll create a bootable image? My Dockstar has been running for 24 days now, partly because I'm afraid to reboot after the initrd got updated and I ran mkimage to create a new one. :-)

If this is indeed the case, then should Jeff's install script also install the flash-kernel package so users don't have to worry about it in the future?
October 22, 2010 01:32PM
If you use the debian kernel and trust the debian guys&girls (I do since potato, 10 years ago - and all problems I got was because I missed to run lilo after updating a few years ago) you can add the script (and install flash-kernel) and your DS will (don't blame me if it doesn't) reboot after apt-get installs a new kernel or udev or initrd.

I won't tell Jeff things he should do anyway ;-)
October 22, 2010 04:30PM
Hello Oscar,

thank you very much for your advice! I can confirm after successful reboots that your proposed solution works as expected.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.