Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NFS slower than Samba?

Posted by Almaz 
NFS slower than Samba?
October 26, 2014 01:13AM
NFS Server = PogoPlug E02 Debian Wheezy bodhi, latest kernel
exports:
/mnt/usb 192.168.3.0/24(rw,fsid=0,no_root_squash,insecure,no_subtree_check,async)

NFS Client: Windows 8.1
rsize 32768, wsize 32768, Enable locking, Enable caching, Enable remote write caching, NFS 3.

NFS transfer speed
write to PogoPlug = 18-20 MB/s
read from PogoPlug = 23 MB/s

Samba
write to PogoPlug = 27-28 MB/s
read from PogoPlug = 29 MB/s

Used to test 700 MB file for transferring.

I though NFS should be faster than Samba. What's your experience? Do you know any other tweaks that I don't know?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2014 01:14AM by Almaz.
Re: NFS slower than Samba?
October 26, 2014 07:55AM
I cant think of any tweaks to improve preformance, however i use the following to mount my plug share from a linux unit and it seems to be ok.

# Ubuntu 14.04 client /etc/fstab
ip_address_of_my_plug:/mnt/shared /mnt/nfs nfs auto 0 0

is your windoze client the problem as its emulating a none standard M$ filesystem?
October 26, 2014 08:42AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> is your windoze client the problem as its
> emulating a none standard M$ filesystem?

I'm using built in nfs client in Windows 8.1. How do I check emulation?
October 26, 2014 08:56AM
You cant - i.e. its inbuilt and provided by M$

M$ support and contribute to the samba project following a ruling from the E.U. and this is why i think you will see better file transfer speeds over SAMBA than over NFS. I dont believe that it is in there best interests to "optimise" for a competiting file system, i.e. NFS, HOWEVER, it is in there interest to offer "compatability" with other filesystems.

Long story short - in your case your best transfer speeds will be over SAMBA.....BUT.... if you were to do the same test from a unix or linux client, then you would see the NFS share improvements

Almaz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gravelrash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > is your windoze client the problem as its
> > emulating a none standard M$ filesystem?
>
>
> I'm using built in nfs client in Windows 8.1. How
> do I check emulation?
October 26, 2014 08:37PM
My experience was that for a Windows client - Samba was easier to setup and faster ... what I've started doing recently is mounting the shares on the linux end, which seems to use less resources on the linux device ... the mount uses cifs, and obviously no nfs with linux as the client :D

And I think gravelrash is almost certainly right better performance is likely on linux to linux with nfs ...

Cheers

DC

Don Charisma ... because anything is possible with Charisma

My blog - http://DonCharisma.org
Our commercial site - http://DonCharisma.com
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.