Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug to TOR plug

Posted by Gravelrash 
Pogoplug to TOR plug
November 03, 2014 08:59AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29879851

as an exercise in "can it be done"

Is anyone interested in testing or collaborating on a Plug image I'm toying with the idea of building, that will turn the plug into a tor proxy and gateway? intention is to use it as wifi to ethernet and share the resultant rootfs with anyone who wants it.

EDIT: added the above link and clarified

============================
Breaking stuff since 1994 :-)
============================

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2014 09:17AM by Gravelrash.
Re: Pogoplug to TOR plug
November 05, 2014 05:10PM
? No takers ? ok
November 10, 2014 12:52PM
Don't get discourage with the lack of response. This forum isn't that active.
November 14, 2014 06:53PM
Hi grayman
Thanks for the morale lift:-) .

not disheartened at all. I have built version 0.1 of the torplug image, from which the for activation is triggered by pressing the reset button at the back. It is currently being tested by a work colleague. I'm gonna keep this up.its a great learning curve for me..
November 15, 2014 07:20PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ? No takers ? ok

I am interested. But no time to collaborate :) please let us know your progress. Fyi, CloudEngines is selling the SafePlug (it's a TOR box) but afaict it's not that safe!

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 17, 2014 01:35PM
I have looked at reviews on the safeplug. And there appear to be security concerns that are introduced by its attempted ease of use and tie in to the CE website.

There are ways to address them. However. What CE have attempted is admirable yet marred by a lack of updating to the latest stable tor release and having to rely on the availability of an explicitly trusted network.

There product seams more suited to an adblocker and local ISP DNS restriction bypass than a full blown security solution.. I'm no way a security pro. But I think I can put something together that will learn from there footprint.
November 24, 2014 10:06AM
Things are looking positive on the testbuild front.

One problem we came up against was that the DNS requests were always being passed to the local ISP - not ideal for a "secure box".

After some digging around i came across a post detailing how to override the locally assigned DNS server(s) and replace it with a DNS server(s) of choice. in this instance it was decided to use the OpenDNS service.

Now this has been successfully implemented, it was back to the image to do some service disabling at boot and assigning some more functions to the script that reads the "/dev/input/event0" event trigger and "does more stuff"

all looking positive so far and i hope to share an image/tar file system soon.

IF i could lay my hands on a hacked photoframe screen, i would like to develop this further to allow for the outputting of a random wifi name and passkey. but so far my efforts to obtain a suitable photoframe have been unsuccessful, does anyone have a link for one or does anyone know how to hack the Phillips 7" photoframes?
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.