Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Issue with fresh install on Pogo-E02

Posted by Adam 
Adam
Issue with fresh install on Pogo-E02
December 17, 2014 10:21PM
I just bought two pink pogoplugs with the intention of putting debian on them, and I have hit a bit of a wall.

reference: http://pastebin.com/v0YFU5Qb

i partitioned my flash drive according to the instructions (see reference).

i ran Wheezy install script from http://projects.doozan.com/debian/ , and it goto pretty far, until I got the following error:
"FATAL: kernel too old"

i then tried the squeeze install script and it got all the way through to the reboot option. It would reboot, but not into debian, same thing with a power cycle.

I then set up netconsole to see what was going on, but i dont really understand the output. (see reference)
one thing i did understand was "** File not found /boot/uImage", so i included the contents of that folder. (see reference)

the error: "read_nand_cached: error reading nand off 0x1bc0e00 size 8192 bytes" seems to occur whether or not i have a flash drive inserted on boot.

i have tried two different types of flash drives and am in the middle of trying a third (i only have 3...) and the first two have had the same errors.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

side thought: would it be possible to use an image like the raspberry pi does and just use dd onto a drive instead of this process? (im no linux professional, i just know that the raspi is super easy to set up that way :)

thanks!
Re: Issue with fresh install on Pogo-E02
December 18, 2014 12:58AM
Adam,

Don't worry about the errors you saw. Just download the latest rootfs (3.17). And put it on an EXT2 drive and boot with it.

And please get a list of your u-boot envs and post here (there is further improvement to do, especially whether the rootfs type is ext2 or ext3)

If you can't boot with the new rootfs, then in netconsole, use:
printenv
If you booted into Debian, use:
fw_printenv

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Adam
December 18, 2014 09:15AM
Thanks so much!

I followed your guide and used ext2 and now i have two pogoplugs with debian on them!

if you would still like me to post the list of u-boot envs, i will, but right now im just super pumped that they are working!

This is what i did for my second one:

I put the first flash drive in my linux desktop and did "dd if=/dev/sdb of=~/pogoplug.img
and then removed it and put in a new identical flash drive and did "dd if=~/pogoplug.img of=/dev/sdb

I plugged in the brand new pogoplug-e02 in to my router, found the ip, then used ssh to get in using
username:root
password:ceadmin

i then ran the following:

cd /tmp
wget http://projects.doozan.com/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh
chmod +x install_uboot_mtd0.sh
./install_uboot_mtd0.sh

after the script was done, i put in the new flash drive and then ran:
busybox reboot

and had debian running in minutes!

should i have done anything differently?

thanks again!
December 19, 2014 12:13AM
Adam,

> if you would still like me to post the list of
> u-boot envs, i will, but right now im just super
> pumped that they are working!

No need to.

> cd /tmp
> wget
> http://projects.doozan.com/uboot/install_uboot_mtd
> 0.sh
> chmod +x install_uboot_mtd0.sh
> ./install_uboot_mtd0.sh
>
> after the script was done, i put in the new flash
> drive and then ran:
> busybox reboot
>
> and had debian running in minutes!

You did the right procedure. First time installation with Jeff's script is excellent! Later, if and when you find the needs have new features: booting FDT kernel properly, EXT4, simpleNTP, ... then upgrade u-boot. But it's fine with current version as it is if you dont need to upgrade.

One more thing: you should look into trying to use Ext3. Ext2 is going to be prone to corruption when the power is down. This involves changing one u-boot variable, and convert the current rootfs to Ext3.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2014 12:48AM by bodhi.
Adam
December 19, 2014 07:21AM
so it sounds like upgrading to ext3 is simple enough, and definitely a good idea.

Both of these will end up multiple states away from me with different family branches, so i would like them to be as stable as possible. Would it be a good idea to upgrade uboot to take advantage of ext4 etc?
December 19, 2014 03:07PM
Adam

I always recommend upgrade u-uboot to take advantage of new features. But with pogo e02 you have to be extra careful, because recovery path is Jtag. There is no UART booting.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.