Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

...sniffle... Debian installed!... It's alive... AH LIVE!!!

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
...sniffle... Debian installed!... It's alive... AH LIVE!!!
March 24, 2015 12:50PM
My childhood hero Edison said most people give up at 99% of success. To be fair, I'd given up at 1%.

Anyway thanks Gravelrash, Jeff Doozan, bodhi and everyone. What surprised me, is that in my case I didn't need to go back to the Uboot, either because (I don't know) it had been installed with Arch or the recent Rescue install kicked the hardware box to boot the Debian stick.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 12:59PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
You are welcome - now you have a working demo from me... time to build your own production one :))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 03:12PM by Gravelrash.
update
March 25, 2015 11:55AM
Wow Gravelrash... everyone :-) I still have three questions and don't feel a rush to ask (I'll be busy for a while), but I'll just throw them out there...

1. My Arch partition copies to backup USB drives and even a hard drive I'd tested. I expect Debian to do the same. But i notice Linux partitions (using windows partition software) aren't easy to change size like other formats are. I make assumptions, but eventually this might be on a large hard drive and either owncloud, Samba storage or even torrents might require a big storage bin.

2. GoGlex Net or not, I'll almost certainly buy another Pogoplug while they're out there. Should i stick with an E02 or get the Pro with SATA with half the RAM (but dualcore)?

3. Forgot. Too excited. THANKS!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 01:03PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: update
March 25, 2015 03:10PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow Gravelrash... everyone :-) I still have three
> questions and don't feel a rush to ask (I'll be
> busy for a while), but I'll just throw them out
> there...
>
> 1. My Arch partition copies to backup USB drives
> and even a hard drive I'd tested. I expect Debian
> to do the same. But i notice Linux partitions
> (using windows partition software) aren't easy to
> change size like other formats are. I make
> assumptions, but eventually this might be on a
> large hard drive and either owncloud, Samba
> storage or even torrents might require a big
> storage bin.

The debian rootfs provided by "Mr. Bodhi", will copy and boot from a hdd no problem, as long as - in your case - its in a usb enclosure

>
> 2. GoGlex Net or not, I'll almost certainly buy
> another Pogoplug while they're out there. Should i
> stick with an E02 or get the Pro with SATA with
> half the RAM (but dualcore)?

The choice is yours, for what i do i find that they are comparable to each other in terms of performance... the Pogo v3 obviously has the edge, but will definitely benefit a from a swap file on a hdd to make up for the amount of ram it has

> 3. Forgot. Too excited. THANKS!

Dance in the warm glow excited puppy. Dance!
five legs a-dancin'
March 25, 2015 06:28PM
yeah everything's great except a minor Samba problem. Windows is being a #%$ about the stock DATA or data, but there's hints i just need to set another account. Seems Samba and even ownCloud (no I haven't yet on Debian) get territorial about the areas they guard. Well, Debian's all updated so I'll not get too experimental before making a copy or thereabouts.

Maybe I'll run some torrents tonight to celebrate. Wahoo thanks :-) Woof.
Re: ...sniffle... Debian installed!... It's alive... AH LIVE!!!
March 27, 2015 10:47AM
Congrats on your success with the Pogo...! :-)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.