Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fixed: Static noise from speakers

Posted by metric 
Fixed: Static noise from speakers
April 01, 2015 10:46PM
I suspect a dying power supply but wanted to make sure. My headless debian dockstar has started playing static through the speakers (attached to a USB sound card). It also plays static whenever I do any activity on the remote ssh console. Say dmesg or even ls. I also nsoticed that it does make a sound when I am running top and the programs swap places in the display.
Tasks:  55 total,   1 running,  54 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
%Cpu(s):  0.3 us,  0.3 sy,  0.0 ni, 99.3 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.0 si,  0.0 st

Looks like any I/O activity triggers it.

Has anybody else experienced this? How do I debug this? Any suggestions? Other than replacing the power supply ;-)
----------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
----------------------------------------------
Not sure what fixed it. I shutdown the unit, disconnected all the connections (including the power supply from the wall) and re-connected everything back. The noise went away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2015 11:28AM by metric.
Re: Static noise from speakers
April 02, 2015 08:19AM
cant say for suer in your case - but a while back i used a very cheap pair of usb powered speakers and they hissed for fun when attached to a cheap power brick. could be the smoothing on the powersupply on its way out.
Re: Fixed: Static noise from speakers
April 20, 2015 05:16AM
@metric - I concur with Gravelrash, sounds like a power issue of some description. Properly earthed power supplies are best, but often that's not an option ...

Cheers

Don Charisma ... because anything is possible with Charisma

My blog - http://DonCharisma.org
Our commercial site - http://DonCharisma.com
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.