Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trying to build a new kernel for GoFlex Home

Posted by majic79 
Trying to build a new kernel for GoFlex Home
May 27, 2015 04:49AM
Hi guys (and gals)

Been a little while, so I've been looking at bodhi's excellent work, but I'm struggling to get a linux kernel to boot on my GoFlex home.

First off, it's running u-boot 2013.07, with Kernel 3.4.56 (customised for fast boot) - which is fine for wheezy, however I want to upgrade to jessie

I tried using debian's kirkwood release, but it reports unrecognised device id (my goFlex home is reporting the correct id: 3038 or 0x00000d0a). 3.16 isn't an LTS kernel release, so I'm keen to move to something like 3.18. I can see bodhi's released a build for 3.18, however it won't work with my machid, unless I add it to my uboot environment - no great shakes there, so I set my machid to ffffffff and it starts to boot, but hangs at "Calibrating delay loop...." (had to turn on earlyprintk option in bootargs for that info)

Had anyone else had more luck than me? Ideally, I would like to get kernel 3.18 building properly and recognising the machine ID, but it looks like the mechanism has changed, so I don't know what needs to happen to Kconfig files in order to pull the mach-type id's into the build (or if it even does it).

I think ideally, it'd be nice to create a Device Tree file for some of these legacy boards, but I don't know enough about the topic to begin - has anyone had any joy with it?

Cheers all
Re: Trying to build a new kernel for GoFlex Home
May 27, 2015 05:02AM
majic79,

I'm almost certain that the reason was FDT vs. Non-FDT. You need to build the FDT kernel for 3.18. In my releases starting 3.17, it's FDT. And the DTS is available in the patch. machid and arcNumber are no longer relevant.

To build your own kernel, try to extract what I have in the release for 3.18.5 .config, and use them in your .config.

You could go back to non-FDT, but you would have reverse the changes that already occured in mainline kernel tree (I did that for 3.16). So stay with 3.16 you will be fine, move to 3.18 then it's FDT all the way.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.