Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

initial ramdisk for debian kernel (jessie) with netconsole support

Posted by jcromero 
Hello.

I have a dockstar and use debian jessie with an official kernel (linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood package). I'm not able to boot my dockstar, and would like to debug the kernel output, so I want an initial ramdisk with netconsole support (/boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-kirkwood and /boot/uInitrd files). I'm able to see uboot output (with netconsole from another machine), and I see that the kernel is loaded correctly. But I would like to see also the kernel output. I'm not able to generate the initial ramdisk with netconsole support because I can not boot right now to my dockstar. So, can someone, please generate those two files from me?

Thanks in advance.
Ups. Forgot to mention the contents of the modules file ...

# cat /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

# List of modules that you want to include in your initramfs.
# They will be loaded at boot time in the order below.
#
# Syntax: module_name [args ...]
#
# You must run update-initramfs(8) to effect this change.
#
# Examples:
#
# raid1
# sd_mod

#
# load netconsole to log kernel messages on this machine 192.168.0.2 to the server 192.168.0.3
#
netconsole netconsole=6666@192.168.0.2/eth0,6666@192.168.0.3/
Re: initial ramdisk for debian kernel (jessie) with netconsole support
September 07, 2015 04:08PM
jcromero,

Most of us use the custom build kernel here (so it's not very trivial to generate a correct initramfs for you):
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,12096

What you can do is use the rootfs tarball Debian-3.16.0-kirkwood-tld-2-rootfs-bodhi.tar.bz2 (Updated 02 Sept 2014). See this post:
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,23425,23427#msg-23427

Boot with this rootfs and then plug in your USB rootfs, regenerate your initramfs.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Hello bodhi.

Thanks for your instructions. I could boot my hard disk, after fscking my root file system partition in other linux machine. There were some errors, and I was not being patient enough to wait for the dockstar CPU to run the file system checking.

Nevertheless, I have learnt some things in the meantime and I know, now, a simple way to install a current debian in another drive (using your root file system). Probably I had used Jeff's scripts again (I did that some years ago, when I install squeeze in my dockstar, and have upgraded later to wheezy and jessie). I plan to buy a new hard disk, so the knowledge will be useful, because I want to install from scratch.

Regards.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.