Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Docker on Pogoplug E02?Docker on Pogoplug E02?

Posted by rkrug 
Docker on Pogoplug E02?Docker on Pogoplug E02?
January 10, 2016 04:10AM
Hi

I just want to make sure: is it possible to run Docker on a pogolug E02? I would like to put some programs into containers which would make portability and maintenance much easier (if performance is OK.)?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rainer

===========================
Blog: https://rmkrug.wordpress.com/

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): Logitech media server

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): FTP server only (throw away configuration - quick to rebuild)

1 x GoFlex Net: running OpenMediaVault
Re: Docker on Pogoplug E02?Docker on Pogoplug E02?
January 10, 2016 09:46PM
Sure looks interesting. And the Docker site has an easy walk-through tutorial first thing.

Were you planning on running it from Debian off a USB stick?

-update- I see the light. Since this works with Windows, Mac and Linux, and was the late, great Ian Murdock's final professional works, and if I understand this correctly it may be exactly what I'd hoped for ages...

Fortunately video tutorials are easy to find (incoming), but I currently lack answers for you rkrug. But am I ever appreciative you brought this up :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 11:27PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
January 11, 2016 02:23AM
Docker under debian - and the container from external hdd.

But I went to the site and it told me:

root@pogoplug:~# wget -qO- https://get.docker.com/ | sh
Error: you are not using a 64bit platform.
Docker currently only supports 64bit platforms.
root@pogoplug:~#

So it won't work on the pogoplug E2. Pity. I don't assume there is a 64 bit device similar to the Pogoplug (price range) except old laptop?

===========================
Blog: https://rmkrug.wordpress.com/

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): Logitech media server

1 x Pogoplug E02 (pink): FTP server only (throw away configuration - quick to rebuild)

1 x GoFlex Net: running OpenMediaVault

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2016 02:24AM by rkrug.
January 28, 2016 01:39PM
There are some really neat processor/motherboard/video combos for $60 and $80 lately, whether AMD or Intel Celeron, with quad core processors. Just add Power supply, many kinds of RAM up to 16 GB and a hard drive and it's pretty done. I'll definitly swoop soon and put the Debian skills learned here to good use.

But I'm not even sure at this point. The reason, Docker seems to be designed for a large server to utilize more processing, and that being so, it automatically means more heat, which a fanless Pogoplug and fanless mobo I have on mind, will likely fry or need a constant fan running.

On the other hand with the original problem of using a server for a single use application, none of them imagine the efficiency of a 4-watt Pogoplug.
We might be better off just using the pogo for the same reason they invented another way of doing it, and associate "Docker" with "rack mount".

Just thinking out loud, and I always appreciate constructive criticism if you feel I'm whacko.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.