Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plex server on Pogoplug E02 and Debian?

Posted by rkrug 
Re: Plex server on Pogoplug E02 and Debian?
August 17, 2017 09:02PM
Just grab another usb stick and start from scratch. You'll save more time than troubleshooting the problem
August 17, 2017 09:03PM
You can try purge it and reinstall it
August 18, 2017 08:03AM
Yeah, it seems to be getting to that point.

Can you tell me the output you get for the following? I'm thinking my locale still isn't set:

root@DebianPlugPro:~# locale
LANG=C
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=
August 18, 2017 09:21AM
root@debian:/etc/monit/conf.d# locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
August 18, 2017 09:26AM
Thanks! Did you set English as the default locale? I read on the Debian wiki that you're not supposed to do that if you are accessing the device primarily over ssh.
https://wiki.debian.org/Locale

Get root and type dpkg-reconfigure locales and select the locale(s) you want to generate. At the end, you'll be asked which one should be the default. If you have users who access the system through ssh, it is recommended that you choose None as your default locale.
August 18, 2017 09:27AM
Sorry, can't comment on that because I don't know.
August 28, 2017 03:00PM
I've installed the latest rootfs on my pogopro, have set up a 256mb swap file, set the locale to en_utf8 and am only running Plex. Still the plex server just crashes constantly. I'm just stuck at this point.
August 28, 2017 05:14PM
cdlenfert,

> I've installed the latest rootfs on my pogopro, ha
> ve set up a 256mb swap file, set the locale to en_
> utf8 and am only running Plex. Still the plex serv
> er just crashes constantly. I'm just stuck at this
> point.

You could post the crash log and the Plex version. Perhaps you have other problem other than Plex.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
April 05, 2018 03:36PM
Hi Almaz,

I've installed your Plex package on my t5325 on a sata HDD and it's running just fine, streaming to my android app and all. But one is never satisfied with what he's got, so I decided to upgrade to try the new features they have on the newer versions.

I went and downloaded both .deb packages they have on the official download website (for Netgear):

plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries_1.12.0.4829-6de959918_armel.deb
and
plexmediaserver-ros6-binaries-annapurna_1.12.1.4885-1046ba85f_armel.deb

They do mention Armel on the file name, so I thought I must give it a try. Installing with dpkg didn't work, so I had to unpack and manually place the executables in /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/ and create the the init.d script manually as well (I had removed the previously installed version before starting).
Even though I seemed to have put everything in the right place, none of the versions would run.
Trying to run Plex Media Server binary by hand ended up with a "Illegal instruction" when attempted the first package, and "./Plex Media Server: No such file or directory" with the second one. Which led me tho thinking they might be from an entire different architecture.

Which leaves me with the question, did you get to run any other version? Where did you get the files/sources to make up that package?
May 05, 2018 08:19AM
Will this package work on the pogo pro (oxnas). I already have trasmission/openvpn/samba running on it, not sure if i can push it much further.
does this package work for NSA320 - Debian 8
since your pogoplugE2 is an arm5 so is NSA320, so should work right?
May 11, 2018 04:32PM
MoA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> does this package work for NSA320 - Debian 8
> since your pogoplugE2 is an arm5 so is NSA320, so
> should work right?

Right, it should work. Just make sure the Debian version is the same.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
bodhi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MoA Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > does this package work for NSA320 - Debian 8
> > since your pogoplugE2 is an arm5 so is NSA320,
> so
> > should work right?
>
> Right, it should work. Just make sure the Debian
> version is the same.

the debian version is not mentionned by the auhor of this thread but since it has been posted in 2016 it should be debian 8...
is there a way to know for which version it was compiled for by analyzing the zip file?
May 17, 2018 04:46AM
The newer version of Plex must be compiled with a different method. I'd suggest using google to find a way. I have no idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 04:50AM by Almaz.
January 01, 2021 11:46AM
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get plex running on my NSA325v2, the linked package works but it is pretty outdated. In the meantime, there have been loads of updates to plex including security fixes. So I tried to create an updated package by following the steps from the tutorial linked above. But I'm stuck because the plex executable won't load the shared libraries from the original package. I tried to use the Synology package as in the tutorial as well as the Netgear armel package but it wouldn't load, I'm always getting errors like
./Plex Media Server: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_timer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
even though the file is present. So I tried installing the equivalent packages from the public debian repositories. This got me a bit further, the executable will load for some seconds but then crash with a segmentation fault. The strace output I am getting is:

mprotect(0x76383000, 4096, PROT_READ)   = 0
mprotect(0x764fb000, 8192, PROT_READ)   = 0
mprotect(0x7654d000, 4096, PROT_READ)   = 0
mprotect(0x7660e000, 16384, PROT_READ)  = 0
mprotect(0x76817000, 16384, PROT_READ)  = 0
mprotect(0x76a83000, 20480, PROT_READ)  = 0
mprotect(0x76bbf000, 8192, PROT_READ)   = 0
mprotect(0x76ea8000, 8192, PROT_READ)   = 0
mprotect(0x76f0d000, 4096, PROT_READ)   = 0
mprotect(0x76ecb000, 4096, PROT_READ)   = 0
mprotect(0x12c9000, 159744, PROT_READ)  = 0
mprotect(0x76f52000, 4096, PROT_READ)   = 0
munmap(0x76f46000, 45991)               = 0
set_tid_address(0x6ee0c2e8)             = 20454
set_robust_list(0x6ee0c2f0, 12)         = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGRTMIN, {sa_handler=0x765038e8, sa_mask=[], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_SIGINFO, sa_restorer=0x741b58c0}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGRT_1, {sa_handler=0x765039c8, sa_mask=[], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART|SA_SIGINFO, sa_restorer=0x741b58c0}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_UNBLOCK, [RTMIN RT_1], NULL, 8) = 0
ugetrlimit(RLIMIT_STACK, {rlim_cur=8192*1024, rlim_max=RLIM_INFINITY}) = 0
brk(NULL)                               = 0x13d4000
brk(0x13f5000)                          = 0x13f5000
gettimeofday({tv_sec=1609522283, tv_usec=354939}, NULL) = 0
statfs("/sys/fs/selinux", 0x7e8f9ae4)   = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
statfs("/selinux", 0x7e8f9ae4)          = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
openat(AT_FDCWD, "/proc/filesystems", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
fstat64(3, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0444, st_size=0, ...}) = 0
read(3, "nodev\tsysfs\nnodev\ttmpfs\nnodev\tbd"..., 1024) = 369
read(3, "", 1024)                       = 0
close(3)                                = 0
access("/etc/selinux/config", F_OK)     = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
--- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SEGV_MAPERR, si_addr=NULL} ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
Segmentation fault

I also made some notes while installing the alternative libraries, check it out:

apt-get install libsoci-core3.2
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libsoci_core.so.3.2.3 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libsoci_core.so
apt-get install libsoci-sqlite3-3.2
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libsoci_sqlite.so.3.2.3 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libsoci_sqlite.so
apt-get install libcurl4
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libcurl.so.4.5.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libcurl.so
apt-get install libidn2-0
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libidn2.so.0.3.4 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libidn2.so
apt-get install libfreeimage3
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libfreeimage-3.18.0.so /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libfreeimage.so
apt-get install libopencv-core3.2
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libopencv_core.so.3.2.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libopencv_core.so.3.1
apt-get install libopencv-imgproc3.2
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libopencv_imgproc.so.3.2.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libopencv_imgproc.so.3.1
apt-get install libtag1v5
#apt-get install build-essential fakeroot devscripts ; cd /tmp ; sudo -u _apt apt-get source fmtlib ; cd fmtlib-5.2.1+ds/ ; apt-get build-dep fmtlib ; cmake -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=TRUE ; make ; cp ./libfmt.so.5.2.1 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libfmt.so.4
apt-get install build-essential fakeroot devscripts ; cd /tmp ; sudo -u _apt apt-get source fmtlib ; cd fmtlib-5.2.1+ds/ ; apt-get build-dep fmtlib ; cd .. ; git clone https://github.com/fmtlib/fmt.git ; cd fmt ; git checkout 4.x ; cmake -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=TRUE ; make ; cp ./libfmt.so.4.1.1 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libfmt.so.4
apt-get install libsqlite3
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libsqlite3.so.0.8.6 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libsqlite3.so
apt-get install libavcodec58
apt-get install libavformat58
apt-get install libswscale5
apt-get install libhdhomerun4
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libhdhomerun.so.4.0.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libhdhomerun.so
apt-get install libboost-chrono1.67.0
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_chrono.so.1.67.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_chrono.so
apt-get install libboost-filesystem1.67.0
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_filesystem.so.1.67.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_filesystem.so
apt-get install libboost-iostreams1.67.0
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_iostreams.so.1.67.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_iostreams.so
apt-get install libboost-locale1.67.0
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_locale.so.1.67.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_locale.so
apt-get install libboost-regex1.67.0
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_regex.so.1.67.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_regex.so
apt-get install libboost-thread1.67.0
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_thread.so.1.67.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_thread.so
apt-get install libboost-timer1.67.0
ln -s /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_timer.so.1.67.0 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/libboost_timer.so
ln -s /lib/ld-linux.so.3 /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3

I assume that some libraries don't match the correct version though there are no undefined symbol errors or the like. But I also can't make any sense of the strace output for further debugging. So, does anyone have a good idea on how to go on?

Happy new year and thanks in advance!
Nilas

Edit: So I learned about arm soft float / hard float differences and that new versions of plex are released only for arm hard float. Given this, I am wondering if it's even possible to make the new version run by changing the libraries? I've also found this and this, so we might get a little bit newer versions but not much. Does anyone now, if the newer plexpass versions are still released for arm7 soft float?

Edit2: I found some arm7sf packages on the plex website for Netgear and QNAP devices, the binaries crash with an "illegal instruction" instead of a segfault. From the disassembly it becomes clear, that they all make heavy use of the movw/movt instructions which our devices don't have, and it is way to many places to patch it by hand if that would even be possible. So it seems there is no way to get newer plex versions to run, it's a dead end.

Edit3: So I made a package of plexmediaserver 0.9.16, you can find it here. It's based on the resources in 1 2 3. The official plex forum also makes mention of a version 0.9.17 that should work with arm5sf, see here. Sadly, the links are broken, but if anyone still has the files I would like to create a package of that too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2021 02:59PM by Nilas.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.