Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about "Kernel 4.2 Kirkwood (FDT) and 3.16 Kirkwood (non-FDT) package and rootfs thread" instruction

Posted by desigabri 
please what did I lost reading this topic and other?

It seems to me that some basic information aren't explained, and I can't find them anywhere. This should mean that they are logical things, but I don't understand them anyway.

Where is the correct place to run the commands described here?

I downloaded the two bz2 files, the rootfs and the boot update.

1) so for the rootfs I had troubles but I finally expanded it into the rootfs et4 partition of my USB key

2) the linux-4.2*bodhi.ter.bz2 : I beleaved (because nowhere is written) I had to unrar into the ext2 partition of the USB key, but because it is an update most probably the /boot directory that you wote is the /boot directory of the rootfs onto the USB key (or may be of mine debian system?).

Anyway, after having extracted the tar into the /boot directory of the rootfs of the USBkey I had to send the commands for the installation of deb files...

If I try dpkg from my system then I receive the error of a different architecture, so it is impossible to go ahead.
I tryed olso to force the dpkg command to bypass the architecture trouble, and the installation workrd but the packages where installed on my Debian system and not into the usbkey

If I try to exexute those command from my NSA325, login as root, then dpkg command doesn't work on it because it isn't installed in the system.

So please what I lack reading this and others related topics?
What is so obviously and basical so it isn't important to mention it into the topic that I don't understand?

In the meanwhyle I'll check the 40 pages looking for any help.
Thanks in advance

-------
Moderator edit: moved to its own Debian thread

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 04:26PM by bodhi.
Re: Linux Kernel 4.2 Kirkwood (FDT) and 3.16 Kirkwood (non-FDT) package and rootfs
January 25, 2016 01:49PM
desigabri Wrote:
> It seems to me that some basic information aren't
> explained, and I can't find them anywhere. This
> should mean that they are logical things, but I
> don't understand them anyway.

I totally feel your pain. Especially if you don't know embedded Linux inside out it's very confusing. But on the plus side the forum is really helpful so it isn't so bad ;-)

> I downloaded the two bz2 files, the rootfs and the
> boot update.
>
> 1) so for the rootfs I had troubles but I finally
> expanded it into the rootfs et4 partition of my
> USB key

That's correct. Now you should be able to boot into Debian. You might discover issues with your boot loader (e.g. for me one particular USB drive did not work with the stock bootloader) but basically the rootfs should be bootable.
(Not sure if the stock boot loader on the NSA325 supports ext4. It supports ext2 for sure.)

> 2) the linux-4.2*bodhi.ter.bz2 : I beleaved
> (because nowhere is written) I had to unrar into
> the ext2 partition of the USB key, but because it
> is an update most probably the /boot directory
> that you wote is the /boot directory of the rootfs
> onto the USB key (or may be of mine debian
> system?).

Upgrading the kernel comes after you can successfully boot into the Debian on your NSA325. Then you use the dpkg there. This is because a .deb file not only contains the actual program files but also scripts to be run at install time (so you can't do it on a different system).

Hope that helps
Re: Linux Kernel 4.2 Kirkwood (FDT) and 3.16 Kirkwood (non-FDT) package and rootfs
January 25, 2016 01:56PM
yes it really helps, THANKS

I'll try in this way. I think I'm so confused because i read about differents way to install Debian, and some tell that it isn't necessary modify the bootloader, some using installers, some using serial access.

I haven't understood the need to boot directly from the rootfs and then upgrade it.

I'm not sure I'll be able to boot from it directly but now I know the way and I'll ask questions related to that problem :)

THANKS THANKS
January 25, 2016 03:54PM
desigabri Wrote:
> I'll try in this way. I think I'm so confused
> because i read about differents way to install
> Debian, and some tell that it isn't necessary
> modify the bootloader, some using installers, some
> using serial access.

Linux is flexible so each possible way is explored at least once. The total picture can be confusing then if you see all the different approaches at once - like in this forum.

Strictly speaking you don't have to modify the boot loader. However it adds some nice options (e.g. netconsole, supports more USB drives) so you might want to do it. Serial access was really helpful for me when I tried getting the device to boot.

> I haven't understood the need to boot directly
> from the rootfs and then upgrade it.

Precisely. Please note that "upgrading" might refer to updating the Debian to Jessie (including latest updates) or the kernel (this thread).
desigabri,

> please what did I lost reading this topic and
> other?
>
> It seems to me that some basic information aren't
> explained, and I can't find them anywhere. This
> should mean that they are logical things, but I
> don't understand them anyway.
>
>
> Where is the correct place to run the commands
> described here?

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, the instruction followed the tradition of this forum, i.e. definitely not for Linux beginners. I assumed the reader has some knowledge of Linux (ie. what a rootfs, a kernel, and a boot loader is).

So please ask question each time you don't understand something and I or others will answer it. It is best to create a new thread for this purpose. And please don't hesitate, you can ask any type questions, from beginner to advanced embedded Linux topics.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.