Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogo Plug Mobile - Constant Orange LED after succesful Debian install <SOLVED>

Posted by craigcoffman 
Pogo Plug Mobile - Constant Orange LED after succesful Debian install <SOLVED>
January 28, 2016 12:11PM
I've isntalled uboot & Debian on 4 of the Pogoplug V4 mobiles. Everthing went without a hitch on the 1st 3, & on the last, I encountered on very small issue.

After booting (from the sd card) sucessfully, the front LED(s) never switch to solid green, the red stays on (giving orange).

Inspection of the /sys/class/leds information shows that the red-led's trigger file is set properly to [none], which I ASSUME means no error indicated. however, the light stays on. echo none > to /sys/class/leds/plug:red:misc does not change the state.

When booting back tot he default pogo-plug os, the light behaves normally (switching to solid green eventually).

Suggestions?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 01:39PM by craigcoffman.
Re: Pogo Plug Mobile - Constant Orange LED after succesful Debian install
January 28, 2016 01:01PM
try one of the cards from teh working plugs and see what happens...
January 28, 2016 01:13PM
Good call. Should've thought of that. Same behavoir. I suspect it is in the uboot enviroment parameters.

I should have stated that I failed to issue these two commands in sequence at the begining:

/tmp/fw_setenv arcNumber 3960
/tmp/fw_setenv machid F78

I had issued the latter, but not the former apparently.

set the arcNumber parameter after the fact.

So the two parameters were, in fact reveresed in order in the fw enviroment
(the first appeared at the bottom of the results of a fw_printenv command, the latter at the bottom).

So, re-issued the second command again, hoping that the sequence mattered. Apparently it does, not the lights behave normally.

Thanks for the debugging step.
January 28, 2016 01:20PM
craigcoffman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good call. Should've thought of that. Same
> behavoir. I suspect it is in the uboot enviroment
> parameters.
>
> I should have stated that I failed to issue these
> two commands in sequence at the begining:
>
> /tmp/fw_setenv arcNumber 3960
> /tmp/fw_setenv machid F78
>
> I had issued the latter, but not the former
> apparently.
>
> set the arcNumber parameter after the fact.
>
> So the two parameters were, in fact reveresed in
> order in the fw enviroment
> (the first appeared at the bottom of the results
> of a fw_printenv command, the latter at the
> bottom).
>
> So, re-issued the second command again, hoping
> that the sequence mattered. Apparently it does,
> not the lights behave normally.
>
> Thanks for the debugging step.

Craig, I don't think the order is important. It could be that the previous setting has some typo that you could not see (weird character).

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
January 28, 2016 01:38PM
Scrolling back thru my history, I see you are correct, looks like somehow (even though I did cut n pastes to avoid typos) somehow it was converted to ?hex?

machid=0x831
January 28, 2016 01:51PM
craigcoffman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scrolling back thru my history, I see you are
> correct, looks like somehow (even though I did cut
> n pastes to avoid typos) somehow it was converted
> to ?hex?
>
> machid=0x831

Ah, that was the default value (2097) in hex. The default value is for the Marvell Reference board. This should have been set to the Pogo V4/Mobile number F78 during u-boot installation.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: Pogo Plug Mobile - Constant Orange LED after succesful Debian install <SOLVED>
January 28, 2016 05:09PM
would you be willing to post a picture of this setup?

fully appreciate that you may not due to privacy concerns
Sure, but there's really not much to *look* at though... just the stereo mini din's cables coming out of the Iguana USB device & the soldered on IR emitters (pulls from old remotes mostly).

A diagram might be more appropriate & that would be just for the very basic wiring (see #3 below).

The only real "tricks" to doing this is:

1. recording & cleaning up the IR codes. Mostly they are very small & what you record has the same code repeated over & over. It takes a little study to figure out where the code starts recycling & cut it down to the minimum # of lines. Then it's simple trial & error to see if you were right (by sending).

2. Things like volume need the code to be repeated as most equipment "throws away" xx number of packets because folks tend to "mash" / "lean on" the remote. My PHP script has some examples of sends with repeats & also "mini-loops" with delays in between.

3. Each of the female mini-din outputs on the Iguana device puts out two channels. You can access both with a stereo cable. I took some old cables that I had leftover (the std type with mini-din on one end & two RCAs on the other, chopped of the RCAs & soldered on the emitters. as you may know, diodes are polarity sensitive, so you have a 50/50 chance of getting that right unless you ID the negative on both the cable & the LED. Iguana sells cables, but they want you to buy two & then a stereo splitter, so the former is much, much cheaper.

4. There is of course no documentation for any of this.

If there's much interest I'll do the write up. The iguana guys wanted me to do one to because of #4 above.

It is kinda nice once you've got it going 'cause you can control any IR device from any puter/tablet/phone (I've got one PogoPlug on the living room devices & another in the bedroom) It also allows you to automate via cron & scripts etc. of course, which is nice. I also do X10 stuff so that covers lights & non-IR controled appliances for the most part.

I've got some codes for Denon receivers, Samsung DVD players, Sony TVs, Vizio TVs & even a couple of (window) A/C's I'd be happy to share... might help explain #1.
Re: Pogo Plug Mobile - Constant Orange LED after succesful Debian install <SOLVED>
January 29, 2016 02:46AM
You definitely have interest here!

as the old adage goes for every one person who asks there are 10 more who are interested.

So by that analogy there are at least 20 people interested and you also have the interest of the guys who made the product so on that score alone its DEFINITELY worth a write up. Right now I'm looking at 4 remotes that i could "replace" and your approach above is definitely one that Im sure many would want to adopt,

if only for the "man cave".
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.