Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cant boot into PlugOS but Debian

Posted by Rosi 
Cant boot into PlugOS but Debian
August 24, 2010 01:55PM
Hello guys,

I got a problem here, I installed Debian on my Dockstar (thx Jeff) and it worked fine, but now I cant boot into the native OS anymore, I execute "reboot" in Debian or reset the Dockstar and everytime Debian comes up.
In the rcS I just add the # in front of the /etc/init.d/hbmgr.sh start to prevent firmware update.
I think the plugOS on mtdblock2 is broken, cause I had it mounted in Debian and turned off the Dockstar without using umount, maybe there went something wrong.
But howto fix it? I still have full access of Debian and can mount mtdblock2...
Or do I need and serial connection to fix it?
Or (worst case scenario) is my dockstar broken?
Re: Cant boot into PlugOS but Debian
August 24, 2010 02:56PM
The new bootloader will only boot into Pogoplug if there are no bootable USB drives attached. If you disconnect your drives and reboot, you should end up in Pogoplug.

-- Jeff
August 24, 2010 10:50PM
Thanks Jeff, you mean the bootloader which gets installed when you use this guide: http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/ ?
Because thats everything I did.

If you disconnect your drives and reboot, you should end up in Pogoplug.
I tried this and it doesn't work, the LED's still flashing normal, first green and then orange, but I cant access it with Putty.

/edit: I made no other bootloader flash, I need the PlugOS to make images of my debian USB Key with DD.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2010 10:51PM by Rosi.
August 24, 2010 11:55PM
Oops, I misunderstood. I guess I should have read your original post more closely.

It sounds like your Plug has 'upgraded' itself and disabled dropbear. Since you can get into Debian, you're completely fine. Just mount mtdblock2 someplace like /tmp/pogo and then edit /tmp/pogo/etc/init.d/db

At the bottom of that file, there should be a line that looks like this:
#/usr/sbin/dropbear
remove the '#' from the beginning of the line and save the file. Then unmount /tmp/pogo and you should be able to reboot back into the Pogoplug OS.

-- Jeff
b105
August 25, 2010 04:01AM
You can make a clone of the USB key on your home computer, regardless it is debian/windows/mac os, or even the debian on the USB key. You do not have to fight with the Pogoplus.
August 25, 2010 09:04AM
b105
You do not have to fight with the Pogoplus.
Its not fight, its a simple command, the pogoplug comes with dd, so its easy to use, just reboot Debian and make a backup in PlugOS and save the created file on one of the usb hdds.

Jeff
remove the '#' from the beginning of the line and save the file. Then unmount /tmp/pogo and you should be able to reboot back into the Pogoplug OS.
No, I think it didnt upgrade itself, cause there was no '#' in front of /usr/sbin/dropbear
I added it experimentally but nothing, then I removed it again and still only debian comes up.

All others cant boot debian and I'm the only one who want to get PlugOS instead of debian :X

/edit: I just ordered a serial cable, so I'm not afraid if its necessary to use it :P
But I dont want to buy a new one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 09:31AM by Rosi.
August 31, 2010 08:35AM
Hello,

I have exactly the same issue that Rosi has.
It appeared since I followed the procedure to install the new uboot with LED support.
The script told me that everything went fine.

Before I was using the mtdblock3 uboot only.

I have mounted as said:
cd /tmp
mkdir pogo
mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock2 /tmp/pogo

but there is no # before /usr/sbin/dropbear

Do you have an idea how to proceed now ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 08:53AM by Sagittarius.
September 14, 2010 08:50AM
EDIT: I managed to get access again to pogoplug by editing /etc/init.d/rcS and precising the ifconfig eth0 ip_wanted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 08:53AM by Sagittarius.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.