Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB sound - scratchy [ SOLVED ]

Posted by petergunn 
USB sound - scratchy [ SOLVED ]
December 03, 2010 04:05PM
I bought a $2 usb audio adapter from DX. I'm thinking I may have been better going with the cheaper one.
# lsusb          
Bus 001 Device 114: ID 0c76:1607 JMTek, LLC. audio controller
Says "HY554" on the back.

Under Ubuntu 10 on x86_64 it works great, but on the Dockstar/Squeeze the audio is extremely 'scratchy' with alsa.

Googling around I see recommendations to reduce PCM volume in alsamixer, but I only see 'Speaker', 'Mic' and 'Auto Gain Control'. The 'Auto Gain Control' is stuck at 00.

I installed...
apt-get install alsa-base alsaplayer alsaplayer-text alsa-utils madplay mplayer
Then used the following to test sound...
mplayer -ao alsa -msgcolor -cache 64 http://www.tv-radio.com/station/fip_mp3/fip_mp3-128k.m3u
alsaplayer http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/harry_potter/urscary.wav
I'm an audio noob - anyone have any ideas about how to fix?

-PG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 05:14PM by petergunn.
Re: USB sound - scratchy
December 03, 2010 05:13PM
Fixed it! I used the alsa "softvol" feature and bumped up the buffer sizes from a config I found on the net:

I created the following /etc/asound.conf file:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "softvol"
}
pcm.dmixer {
       type dmix
       ipc_key 1024
       slave {
           pcm "hw:0"
           period_time 0
           period_size 4096
           buffer_size 131072
           rate 50000
       }
       bindings {
           0 0
           1 1
       }
}
pcm.dsnooper {
       type dsnoop
       ipc_key 1024
       slave {
           pcm "hw:0"
           channels 2
           period_time 0
           period_size 4096
           buffer_size 131072
           rate 50000
       }
       bindings {
           0 0
           1 1
       }
}
pcm.softvol {
       type softvol
       slave { pcm "dmixer" }
       control {
           name "Master"
           card 0
       }
}
ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}
ctl.softvol {
    type hw
    card 0
}
ctl.dmixer {
    type hw
    card 0
}

Now mplayer works flawlessly (as far as I can tell with my mono speaker :-)
mplayer -ao alsa -msgcolor -cache 128 -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/wm_asx/aod/radio1.asx
mplayer -ao alsa -msgcolor -cache 128 http://www.tv-radio.com/station/fip_mp3/fip_mp3-128k.m3u
To fix mplayer volume controls you need to tell it to use Master rather than PCM mixer:
echo 'ao=alsa' >> ~/.mplayer/config
echo 'mixer-channel="Master"' >> ~/.mplayer/config
To make everything work after reboot you need to edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Old:
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
New:
# Allow snd-usb-audio to be loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=0

-PG

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 10:24AM by petergunn.
December 03, 2010 05:40PM
The following iradio bash script seem to work ok for BBC radio channels:
wget http://yjl.googlecode.com/hg/Bash/iradio
chmod +x ./iradio
./iradio
I thought you have to be in the UK but apparently not...
-PG
Re: USB sound - scratchy [ SOLVED ]
December 03, 2010 07:21PM
Peter
Good to see you are working now with audio tongle.
I was wondering if you can do a guide for mplayer and client and also use the 5 dollar lcd with the 3 buttons on it to change channels and stuff. That would be very cool.
It would be mini internet radio thingie. :)

I will do the "copy and paste" and report back.

Thanks for making my dockstar a cool gidget.
You rock!

p.s. this is the audio tongle I got that works pretty good.
http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=lh_di_t_dup_
I bought from amazon itself and not a amazon vendor. The vendor I linked too has mixed reviews, but amazon sent me the right one. Also, this model has 119 reviews, the most of all of them and works well in linux. Others say the C-media chipset is the type to get.

I have been using squeezeboxserver and slave that I gave you link to yesterday, that has internet radio and pandora and tons of apps. But I would love to try mpd out and I'm installing your stuff right now.

here is what I get:
usb 1-1.4: new full speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 4
input: C-Media USB Audio Device as /devices/platform/orion-ehci.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.4/1-1.4:1.3/input/input0
generic-usb 0003:0D8C:0008.0001: input: USB HID v1.00 Device [C-Media USB Audio Device ] on usb-orion-ehci.0-1.4/input3

Peter
Do I have to edit that config file to get it to work?

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 07:58PM by rgtaa.
December 03, 2010 08:29PM
Hi rtgaa, there was a mplayer libst2205 patch posted for the Picframe but it wasnt accepted. It might still work against the mplayer source. I dont really have time to try though - screen is tool small, video would need to be transcoded and (most importantly :-) I already have st2205 running on my Picframe (then again I do have several now... hmm)

That Amazon dongle looks pretty good, but its 4x the price price of the DX one and I probably wouldn't notice any improvement in sound quality on my mono speaker. (BTW some speakers like this one have real issues with interference if they are powered off the same hub as the usb audio adapter. Not sure if its a speaker issue or an adapter issue. Use a different power source to fix).

> Do I have to edit that config file to get it to work?

Try it without the config. If it works but you get scratchy distorted sound then the config file might help, but dont modify the file it if its okay without it.

-PG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 10:36AM by petergunn.
December 03, 2010 08:41PM
Peter
I can't seem to get it to work.
I am able to use sound for my squeezeboxserver and slave.
I installed those packages above and this is what I get.

root@debian:/# mplayer -ao alsa -msgcolor -cache 64 http://ww                                                               w.tv-radio.com/station/fip_mp3/fip_mp3-128k.m3u
MPlayer 1.0rc3-4.4.4 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your                                                                remote control.

Playing http://www.tv-radio.com/station/fip_mp3/fip_mp3-128k.                                                               m3u.
Resolving www.tv-radio.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server www.tv-radio.com[91.197.164.1]: 80...
Resolving gisv3.tv-radio.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server gisv3.tv-radio.com[91.197.164.1]: 80...
Cache size set to 64 KBytes

Playing http://mp3.live.tv-radio.com/fip/all/fiphautdebit.mp3                                                               .
Resolving mp3.live.tv-radio.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server mp3.live.tv-radio.com[91.197.164.3]: 80.                                                               ..
Name   : Fip - 128 - mp3
Public : no
Bitrate: 128kbit/s
Cache fill: 12.50% (8192 bytes)
Audio only file format detected.
=============================================================                                                               =============
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3

ICY Info: StreamTitle='';StreamUrl='';
mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 871 bits!
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000-                                                               >176400)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2,                                                                layer-3)
=============================================================                                                               =============
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find c                                                               ard '0'
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) functi                                                               on snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or direc                                                               tory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error ev                                                               aluating strings
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) functi                                                               on snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error ev                                                               aluating name
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) functi                                                               on snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: conf.c:4649:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate                                                                error: No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknow                                                               n PCM default
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)

December 03, 2010 08:49PM
Post the output from:
aplay -l
for x in /proc/asound/{version,cards,devices,timers,pcm}; do echo $x:; cat $x; done
-PG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 08:53PM by petergunn.
December 03, 2010 09:13PM
Hi petergunn -

I'm quite interested in this subject; but, I'm pretty much a totaly noobie (although I've learned a lot in the last week or so).

I tried to follow the step that you documented and got stumped with the very first step :(

I issued 'lsusb' (at # prompt from root) and got "command not found". (it happens with OR without the el-cheapo usb audio adapter plugged in)

Obviously, I'm missing something - any tips would be appreciated. Do I need to go through the alsa (etc) install first???

Basically, I'm running a pretty much vanilla debian (installed via Jeff's .sh script) on a dockstar.

- Ray

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 09:15PM by sandbasser.
December 03, 2010 09:22PM
To install lsusb:
apt-get install usbutils
You can find packages by doing something like "apt-cache search lsusb"

Yes, you need to do the following before plugging in your usb audio adapter and trying to run mplayer for the first time:
apt-get update
apt-get install alsa-base alsaplayer alsaplayer-text alsa-utils madplay mplayer

Getting late here - back tomorrow :-)
-PG
December 03, 2010 09:26PM
Peter is the what I get from your commands:
root@debian:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: default [C-Media USB Audio Device   ], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
root@debian:~# for x in /proc/asound/{version,cards,devices,timers,pcm}; do echo $x:; cat $x; done
/proc/asound/version:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.
/proc/asound/cards:
 0 [default        ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Audio Device
                      C-Media USB Audio Device    at usb-orion-ehci.0-1.4, full speed
/proc/asound/devices:
  0: [ 0]   : control
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:        : timer
/proc/asound/timers:
G0: system timer : 10000.000us (10000000 ticks)
P0-0-0: PCM playback 0-0-0 : SLAVE
P0-0-1: PCM capture 0-0-1 : SLAVE
/proc/asound/pcm:
00-00: USB Audio : USB Audio : playback 1 : capture 1

December 03, 2010 09:29PM
pg -

thanks for the quick response.

- Ray
December 03, 2010 09:43PM
rtgaa, that all looks good so not sure what's wrong.

Try starting alsa...
/etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart

If that doesnt fix mplayer, then try running alsamixer and see if adjusting anything helps...
alsamixer
-PG
December 03, 2010 10:08PM
Peter

root@debian:/# alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory

December 03, 2010 11:15PM
Peter I was able to to get it work.
I used this to do it.
And I used your config file, that worked great.
Is there a way to control the Mplayer from another PC like IP dockstar :9000 or something like that?

apt-get install alsa-oss madplay mplayer
rat
December 04, 2010 12:18AM
rgtaa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> p.s. this is the audio tongle I got that works
> pretty good.
> http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Me
> dia-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=lh_di_t_dup_
> I bought from amazon itself and not a amazon
> vendor. The vendor I linked too has mixed
> reviews, but amazon sent me the right one. Also,
> this model has 119 reviews, the most of all of
> them and works well in linux. Others say the
> C-media chipset is the type to get.

Almost any USB based sound card that does not require drivers will work in Linux. It uses the generic USB Sound driver. The C-Media Chipset is actually not bad, and yes, I would say look to find one that has that listed as part of its features if you can. I have a slightly "fancier" model that has volume control buttons built into the dongle itself. Works a treat in my Dockstar.

I also have the old style Creative X-Fi (white with giant silver dial) XMOD USB sound card. Also works just fine with the Dockstar.
December 04, 2010 12:25AM
I'm glad we are meeting at Jeff's PLACE and figuring out audio and monitor stuff in rooms like this.

I would like a guide on getting mplayer working on dockstar with some type of access from web-browser to control it, like I can with squeezeboxserver.

Sounds like Peter is going in this direction. I'll give him a couple of days to figure it out so he can help some of us that are lost without his help.

Rat
What are you using for audio stuff on your dockstar. And do you have any pointers on stuff to get for music apps or programs to use with audio toggle?

If I'm at a PC , it would be nice to go to a webpage that connects to dockstar to control radio stations or music that is played on it. I could set up 2 dockstars that have audio tongles in different rooms and it would play music controlled by PC.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 12:37AM by rgtaa.
December 04, 2010 05:46AM
Figured out how to fix mplayer volume controls:
echo 'ao=alsa' >> ~/.mplayer/config
echo 'mixer-channel="Master"' >> ~/.mplayer/config
Use '/' key to decrease, '*' to increase.

rtgaa, you can ssh to the dockstar to run/control mplayer or use VNC from another PC. It also seems to have support for LIRC which can allow you to use infrared remotes or usb keypads but I don't have those. There are also varios remote control scripts and apps available to control mplayer/vlc from a web interface and even mobile phones. I guess it depends what you want to do.

-PG

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 01:54PM by petergunn.
December 04, 2010 08:33AM
Peter

here is utube showing mpd server that works on dockstar that he can use is adriod to control it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxttHqXoH6Q

With my squeezeboxserver , it has web interface and it has channels and you can do all types of stuff, the slave (that I launch on dockstar , shows up in interface in squeezeboxserver and I control the slave from there. So I was hoping for same sort of setup but with mpd and client. I know it's possible because I heard other people are doing it.

Also with squeezeboxserver I can use my itouch to control all the slaves in my house. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipeng/id296941576?mt=8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xel9CX96P2I
Sort of like that utube shows adriod controlling mpd server. So itouch is like remote.

here is an app I saw at would work for mpd
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mpod/id285063020?mt=8

MPoD is your iPhone / iPod Touch remote control for MPD (Music Player Daemon). Featuring a slick, intuitive user interface, MPoD makes it very easy to browse through your collection, and play the music you want to hear from a large collections of artists, albums and songs.

Note that MPoD is not a stand-alone application: it will only work in combination with MPD, and it doesn't play music on your iPhone. If you don't have an MPD server running in your home (which usually runs on Linux) then MPoD will not provide any value to you.

You can find details on MPD at http://www.musicpd.org.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 08:52AM by rgtaa.
December 04, 2010 02:46PM
Well - it's me again (the thick-headed noobie)... Last night I had mplayer working on my dockstar hearing sound just fine... followed steps as suggested by 'petergunn' at the top of this thread. after some help from pg in getting mplayer etc installed, i was successful in hearing sound. But, today after restarting the dockstar it doesn't work... get's lots of errors. Here are the messages I see in my ssh...

root@debian:~# mplayer -ao alsa -msgcolor -cache 64 http://www.tv-radio.com/station/fip_mp3/fip_mp3-128k.m3u
MPlayer 1.0rc3-4.4.4 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing http://www.tv-radio.com/station/fip_mp3/fip_mp3-128k.m3u.
Resolving www.tv-radio.com for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: www.tv-radio.com
Resolving www.tv-radio.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server www.tv-radio.com[91.197.164.1]: 80...
Resolving gisv3.tv-radio.com for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: gisv3.tv-radio.com
Resolving gisv3.tv-radio.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server gisv3.tv-radio.com[91.197.165.1]: 80...

Playing http://mp3.live.tv-radio.com/fip/all/fiphautdebit.mp3.
Resolving mp3.live.tv-radio.com for AF_INET6...
Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: mp3.live.tv-radio.com
Resolving mp3.live.tv-radio.com for AF_INET...
Connecting to server mp3.live.tv-radio.com[91.197.165.3]: 80...
Name   : Fip - 128 - mp3
Public : no
Bitrate: 128kbit/s
Cache fill: 12.50% (8192 bytes)
Audio only file format detected.
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
mpg123: Can't rewind stream by 119 bits!
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
==========================================================================
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_direct.c:1505:(_snd_pcm_direct_get_slave_ipc_offset) Invalid value for card
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize audio driver 'alsa'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

Exiting... (End of file)

did I fail to do some 'finalization' step before I shut my dockstar down last night??? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

- Ray
December 04, 2010 07:35PM
Ray
Peter will help you as he has helped a lot of us.
I generally make a backup of my dockstar image on ubuntu computer, so I can experiment with stuff and if it screws up, I just load a "backup" of my last working dockstar back on the stick or hard drive.

I posted here what worked for me , 3 programs and Peter's configure file. I ran into conflicts with all those other install stuff he did. ( I had to do "restore" after I did Peter's audio stuff because it wouldn't work after first time on reboot, same problem you did. Then after fresh restore I did those 3 programs without all those other programs and his config file and it works even after reboot for me.).

You might want to try my way and report back and also Peter I'm sure is figuring out other cool stuff for us, and usually reports back once he "solves" this stuff.

I'm hoping Peter will figure out MPD and client stuff so we can from our PC control these dockstars in our house and switch stations from the comfort of our PC's or mini lcd screen, or itouch or other device like that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2010 07:40PM by rgtaa.
December 05, 2010 10:22AM
sandbasser, I just noticed that I have the same problem as well after reboot.

The issue appears to be that the USB sound card is becoming card 1 rather than card 0 (the default device). You can see this using...
aplay -l
To fix you need to edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

Old:
# Keep snd-usb-audio from beeing loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=-2
New:
# Allow snd-usb-audio to be loaded as first soundcard
options snd-usb-audio index=0
Then reboot and all should be good.

-PG
December 05, 2010 04:26PM
FYI - mplayer also works well using streamripper as a relay:

Install streamripper:
apt-get install streamripper
mkdir /root/streamripper
Connect streamripper relay to radio station:
streamripper URL -r 8000 -d /root/streamripper/ -A
Run mplayer against the relay:
mplayer http://127.0.0.1:8000 # change 127.0.0.1 to dockstar IP if playing on another LAN computer
You can then connect other players on your LAN to the dockstar without wasting bandwidth.

If you remove the "-A" option streamripper will record each track to disk. Be aware doing this may be illegal in some countries (i.e. Germany). IANAL.

-PG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 04:27PM by petergunn.
December 05, 2010 07:03PM
Peter I'm still trying how to get some type of interface that I can use in windows 7 that can control radio stations on the dockstar.

For the Iradio link I listed the radio stations that work, you can edit the iradio file and remove the stations that no longer work, also, we can add NEW ones, but I don't know how to do that yet.

Maybe we can find a current list, since that file is from 2007 I think, so most of the stations are old.
A current list would be cool, or we make a few iradio like files with different types stuff in it.

root@x:/# ./iradio
Internet Radio Stations:
0: BBC Radio 1 (mms) UK only
1: BBC 4 FM (mms)
2: BBC Five Live (mms)
3: BBC 6 Music (mms)
4: BBC 7 (mms)
5: NPR (mms)
Which station?

here is the section to remove the stations from, and maybe come with ways to add new ones.

echo Internet Radio Stations:

stations=(\
'BBC Radio 1 (mms) UK only' \
'mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/wm_asx/aod/radio1.asx'; \
'BBC 4 FM (mms)' \
'mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r4.asx'; \
'BBC Five Live (mms)' \
'mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/live/live_int.asx'; \
'BBC 6 Music (mms)' \
'mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/ram/6music.asx'; \
'BBC 7 (mms)' \
'mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/realplayer/bbc7.asx'; \
'NPR (mms)' \
'mplayer -playlist http://www.npr.org/templates/dmg/dmg.php?getProgramStream=true&NPRMediaPref=WM'; \

)

Peter I still don't understand how to get any of this stuff to show up in windows 7, I tried different things but no luck.
I can listen to the radio stations no problems.
some of the keyboard keys control stuff, like ( ) control volume and space bar for pause and , so control speed of speech too, cool.
Would be nice to have 40 or 50 stations that work this way, right?
Maybe in different iradio names like rock stations, news, comedy, etc.
December 05, 2010 07:52PM
40,000+ radio stations here: http://www.shoutcast.com and zillions more elsewhere on the net.

Just use: mplayer -playlist 'URL' # and remember to put the URL in quotes
Example:
mplayer -playlist 'http://yp.shoutcast.com/sbin/tunein-station.pls?id=560860';
Not sure about the remote control from Windows thing - I only have one Windows based PC and I just use that for games.

-PG
December 05, 2010 08:29PM
petergunn -

your suggestion a few posts back to my problem with "mplayer after reboot" worked PERFECTLY!!!

many thanks,

- Ray
December 09, 2010 09:28PM
FYI - My USB powered speaker had awful distortion when I powered it off the dockstar. Turns out I had a ground loop between the USB port used for power and the USB audio adapter.

To fix I replaced the 3.5mm audio cable with a Kensington Noise-Reducing AUX Audio Cable (K39203US) which has uses transformers to isolate the current.

Cable is a little long and cost as much as the speaker but it is a complete fix and I have no noticeable distortion any more with the adapter and speaker connected to the dockstar.

-PG
December 11, 2010 03:08PM
Any chance of getting some type of music/internet radio menu program like I can do with squeezebox server.
So I can from web-browser change stations and maybe even use the mini-lcd to change stations and stuff.

It would be cool from the 5 dollar lcd screen to control changing stations using the 3 buttons, and maybe control volume and other stuff. Mini internet/music device.

I ordered this http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S150-Speakers-Digital-Sound/dp/B000ZH98LU and will report how it it works, it would combine audio and speakers and just use 1 usb port. There is another thread with s150 speakers as title and others got it to work, so I can compare between my orginal setup and the s150.

And I ordered this http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Multimedia-Remote-with-Keyboard/dp/B0036VO67I to see if I can combine the mouse and keyboard together on one usb port.

So one usb port for monitor, 1 for hard drive, 1 for keyboard/mouse , 1 for audio/speakers.

Peter
I just want to thank you again for all the cool stuff you figured out for the dockstar.
I still don't believe in less than 24 hours you figured out the root access thing, amazing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2010 06:12PM by rgtaa.
TEN
VFD (cashier's display) via lcdproc
December 12, 2010 10:58AM
rgtaa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I was wondering if you can do a guide for mplayer
> and client and also use the 5 dollar lcd with the
> 3 buttons on it to change channels and stuff. That
> would be very cool.
> It would be mini internet radio thingie. :)

Another good idea might be to use a cashier's display via lcdproc (newer version than in Debian repository needs to be built for this particular model as well as its 4-line sibling BA66) as per http://vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?postid=961264#post961264 - they have the advantage of being huge and easily readable at quite an angle even from several meters away (follow links for further images). The smarthome server silently sitting on top of a wardrobe... is real.

Of course I know the DockStar has an internal serial port that interfaces nicely with half an Xbox 360 DVD power cable, but I haven't pried open mine just yet.
BTW, as a question to those who already have, is it feasible to use the chipset's S/P-DIF output (optically or by wire) as well?
December 15, 2010 09:06PM
FYI - same distortion issue with Targus ACP50US Universal Dock (C-Media audio) if you power the speaker from the Targus hub unless the isolation cable is used, but it is fine if you power the speaker from somewhere else - like one of the dockstar's usb ports. Sound is good with the same alsa config as the $2 adapter.

-PG
neel
December 16, 2010 12:34AM
rgtaa,

I get the following relevant desg output when I connect the Lenovo Mini Kbd usb stub:

[56435.640782] usb 1-1.2: new low speed USB device using orion-ehci and address 4
[56435.856143] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=17ef, idProduct=6014
[56435.863080] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[56435.870506] usb 1-1.2: Product: Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard
[56435.881087] usb 1-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[56436.381262] usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
[56436.393741] input: Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard as /devices/platform/orion-ehci.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/input/input0
[56436.411538] generic-usb 0003:17EF:6014.0001: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard] on usb-orion-ehci.0-1.2/input0
[56436.436581] input: Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard as /devices/platform/orion-ehci.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.1/input/input1
[56436.449420] generic-usb 0003:17EF:6014.0002: input,hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [Lenovo Mini Wireless Keyboard] on usb-orion-ehci.0-1.2/input1
[56436.463489] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[56436.470077] usbhid: v2.6:USB HID core driver

========

I have not decided on the displaylink adapter for the monitor yet. So, I can not test the functionality without the monitor. May be that there is a way to test it from the SSH window. Please let us know how to do the kbd/truckball testing from the SSH session.
By looking at the above output I am hopeful that this tiny kbd/truckball (which I received a couple of days back) might actually work. If it does I intend to use it the same way you mentioned.

Can somebody recommend an inexpensive tiny (9" or 10") dvi monitor. I could not find anything suitable @ebay. The displaylink usb monitors are too expensive for the size. Also, buying USB graphics adapter makes sense. TIA.
This is a very nice thread.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.