Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GoFlexNet: Is SATA Hotplug / Eject possible

Posted by ElMariachi 
GoFlexNet: Is SATA Hotplug / Eject possible
July 29, 2016 03:41AM
Hello!

As my GoFlex now is working so far, i wonder if and how I could hotplug SATA dribes. I tried wiht one old SSD, but just one time it became visible as /dev/sdb one time for every SATA slot. After removing it from each slot one time, and replugging it wouldn't work anymore.
There was no volume mounted on this disk.
Do I need to issue a command for ejecting or rescannig SATA? Or is there another caveat?

Thank you! :)
Re: GoFlexNet: Is SATA Hotplug / Eject possible
July 29, 2016 05:05AM
ElMariachi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello!
>
> As my GoFlex now is working so far, i wonder if
> and how I could hotplug SATA dribes. I tried wiht
> one old SSD, but just one time it became visible
> as /dev/sdb one time for every SATA slot. After
> removing it from each slot one time, and
> replugging it wouldn't work anymore.
> There was no volume mounted on this disk.
> Do I need to issue a command for ejecting or
> rescannig SATA? Or is there another caveat?
>
> Thank you! :)

"Hotplug" will work for this GoFlex Net. But I would not use it this way too often, since we are not really taking all the care of shutting down power,... So you will see some exception in dmesg when you unplug, and when you plug it back in.

However, if you must use it this way sometime, then just unmount the SATA disk, and unplug. And then after you plug it in, mount it again.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: GoFlexNet: Is SATA Hotplug / Eject possible
July 29, 2016 05:33AM
Hi!

Simply unmount partitions, remove and replug the drive is what I did.
But it will recognize the SSD only once per SATA slot. After removing it from a slot once, it wouldn't find the drive in this slot anymore without rebooting.

Integrity and stability aren't so much of a concern here, because I just could use this feature for initial trial and error and fiddling around with different drives (and while trying to copy my working USB-Debian to the yet not working SSD-Debian).
I'm not going to use hotplug in the final stage (production).

Btw. FYI:
I actually got 2 GFNs.
The first one shall be an always on NAS archive
And the other one is supposed to pull daily backups from the archive GFN. It's going to be located in a remote room using a wifi dongle in it's USB slot if possible.
The archive one shall be accessed by SMB, while there's no direct write access for anyone to the backup-GFN. The Backup GFN should offer current and some older versions of all files that have ever been put to the archive. If there's need for restoring a file from backup, it should be downloaded using a webinterface.
Maybe you got anything to optimize or to say about my plan :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2016 05:34AM by ElMariachi.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.