Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Upgrading to jessie - old kernel stuff getting installed?

Posted by renojim 
Upgrading to jessie - old kernel stuff getting installed?
November 05, 2016 08:30PM
So I'm in the process of going from wheezy to jessie and I just noticed this pass across the screen:
Selecting previously unselected package linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood.
Preparing to unpack .../linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood_3.16.36-1+deb8u1_armel.deb ...
Unpacking linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood (3.16.36-1+deb8u1) ...
I just updated to kernel 4.8.3, so why do I need linux-image-3.16.0?

-JT
Re: Upgrading to jessie - old kernel stuff getting installed?
November 05, 2016 09:54PM
renojim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I'm in the process of going from wheezy to
> jessie and I just noticed this pass across the
> screen:
Selecting previously unselected
> package linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood.
> Preparing to unpack
> .../linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood_3.16.36-1+deb8u1
> _armel.deb ...
> Unpacking linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood
> (3.16.36-1+deb8u1) ...
> I just updated to kernel 4.8.3, so why do I need
> linux-image-3.16.0?
>
> -JT

Are you running kernel 4.8.3? if you are already, then remove this kernel 3.16.0. It is a mainline kernel and still installed, so:
dpkg --purge linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 06, 2016 03:46AM
Thanks, I'll give it a try once the weekend is over. I haven't rebooted and I'm afraid to right now since I need a few things to keep working for the rest of the weekend. It got worse after I tried an apt-get upgrade:
Setting up linux-image-4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1 (1.0) ...
Running depmod.
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/apt-auto-removal 4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1 /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1 /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-doozan-flash-kernel 4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1 /boot/vmlinuz-4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1
/etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-doozan-flash-kernel: 10: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-doozan-flash-kernel: flash-kernel: not found
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-doozan-flash-kernel exited with return code 127
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1.postinst line 391.
dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-kirkwood:
 linux-image-kirkwood depends on linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood; however:
  Package linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-kirkwood (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood
 linux-image-4.8.3-kirkwood-tld-1
 linux-image-kirkwood
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I did a dry run a month or so ago and ran into similar problems and managed to really bork things up when I tried to remove the old kernel stuff. That's why I asked about the reference to the old kernel during the dist-upgrade. I'm sure I probably did something improperly, but as long as it's doing what I need it to do for the next couple of days I think I'll leave well enough alone until Tuesday.

-JT
November 06, 2016 04:13PM
JT,

Yes. That will happen sometime when the older mainline kernel is still installed. That linux-image-kirkwood was triggering the update. So it is best to remove both after you got 4.8.3 booting.
linux-image-3.16.0-4-kirkwood
linux-image-kirkwood
And use "dpkg --purge" to remove it so that all remnant of the old kernel are also removed (i.e. init scripts,...)

While you at this, list all kernels that are still in this rootfs and remove them all to save space.
dpkg -l | grep linux-image

Remember that you can't remove the running kernel, so it is safe do house cleaning like this. However, backup this rootfs before starting :)

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
November 08, 2016 06:38PM
Ok, I purged all kinds of old kernel versions. I guess I should have been doing that with every new kernel? As expected (from my dry run), it failed to boot. See the continuation here.

Thanks again, bodhi!
-JT
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.