Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

fstab entry for disconnected drive causes boot failure (jessie, kernel 4.8.3)

Posted by renojim 
fstab entry for disconnected drive causes boot failure (jessie, kernel 4.8.3)
November 08, 2016 06:35PM
I finally completed updating my kernel to v4.8.3 and my distribution to jessie (thanks, bodhi), but my Dockstar wouldn't complete the boot process. I traced it to an old fstab entry for a hard disk I no longer use, but may want to connect again in the future:
UUID=FCF0061DF005DEB0       /media/500GB            ntfs    rw              0       0
Before the update/upgrade, this never caused a problem. Now during the boot process I see:
[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2duuid-FCF...005DEB0.device.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /media/500GB.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Local File Systems.
Welcome to emergGive root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):
So what am I doing wrong? How do I keep an entry in fstab that doesn't keep the system from booting such that I can connect/disconnect a hard drive at will. And, just out of curiosity, is this something that changed in the kernel or in jessie or have I always been doing this improperly? Or, is it a systemd/udev thing (can't tell you how overjoyed I am to see that systemd has infected my system)?

Thanks!
-JT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2016 06:38PM by renojim.
Re: fstab entry for disconnected drive causes boot failure (jessie, kernel 4.8.3)
November 09, 2016 12:04AM
Problem solved. Once again boned by systemd.

-JT
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.