Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing default shell on PogoPro

Posted by cdlenfert 
Changing default shell on PogoPro
April 07, 2017 04:19PM
My PogoPro is using
sh
as it's default shell (on the stock Pogo OS). It's not saving a command history, but I'd like it to. I was able to see that
ash
and
hush
shells are also available. When I switch into one, it saves commands only for that SSH session. Is there a way to set
ash
or
hush
to the default, or better yet install and set bash as the default?

Thanks for any advice.
Re: Changing default shell on PogoPro
April 11, 2017 05:31PM
The last column in the passwd file is the default user shell. So if you want to change the default shell for the root user you would modify the entry for root in the passwd file so that the last column would be /bin/ash or /bin/hush. You'll want to ensure that the shell binary is in the /bin directory. If it is in a different directory just modify the path appropriately.

Ray
Re: Changing default shell on PogoPro
April 12, 2017 09:20PM
Thanks Ray. I found the file and was able to switch the default editor to ash, however I'm still unable to cycle through my previous commands using the up arrow in my mac terminal Looking at this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_command_shells it seems like ash should support command history, but maybe that's not the same thing as being able to toggle through previous commands??
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.