Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing Debian on pogoplug doesn't work ..

Posted by theliquid 
Installing Debian on pogoplug doesn't work ..
March 07, 2012 07:33AM
Hi!

I got my new pogoplug (v2) today and I want to install Debian on it.
I already paritioned my usb stick correctly.
But the big problem is that my usb stick is ALWAYS recognized as "/dev/sdb1" (ext2) and "/dev/sdb2" (swap).
The installer script is made for using /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2. So it fails when trying to extract debian to the usb stick.

What can I do? How do I get my usb stick recognized as /dev/sda?

Cheers

edit: Of course there are no other USB-devices connected ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 07:58AM by theliquid.
Re: Installing Debian on pogoplug doesn't work ..
March 07, 2012 10:42AM
Ok, I don't know how but its resolved.

And i realized that I don't have a v2... They shipped me a POGO-P24 :/
Wladston Viana
March 31, 2012 06:58PM
Please, explain how you did it! I`m trying for days to install debian on the POGO-P24 ...
April 26, 2012 02:24PM
Wladston Viana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please, explain how you did it! I`m trying for
> days to install debian on the POGO-P24 ...

You can't install Debian directly ... There is thread explaining how to do that. Its quite simple.
Look here: http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,6489

Short summary: you have to install arch linux arm first (for the kernel) and then copy the debianrootfs provided by varkey to the usbdrive you previously installed archlinux to.

I deleted Debian on my P24 because its quite slow. Don't know why exactly ...
April 29, 2012 10:46AM
Theliquid, thanks! I managed to ge it working after a lof of searching, using the image.

It's frustrating not being able to change u-boot parameters, or being able to install the vanilla kernel.

Any idea if anyone is working on that ? I could help out!
WarheadsSE
May 08, 2012 08:57AM
wladston:

ARM is not x86, so the kernel is different per SoC.

We are working on it at Arch Linux ARM, but few people outside of us understand what is going on with the device in depth. Although progress is slow because many of our kernel developers are swamped with RL work, it is progressing including a complete SoC driver re-write.
May 08, 2012 04:48PM
WarheadsSE,

Cool. I wished I could help out, but I never did any kernel-level programming. I can write C, though :)

Several non-x86 archs/systems made into the mainline kernel, I was wondering why no one cared about the oxnas ...

I would stick with arch, if it had all the packages I need available ...
WarheadsSE
May 10, 2012 10:14AM
There is a thread regarding modules people want to see. When you trail off in that manner, it is like saying "I wouldn't be thirsty if I had water..." while living in the rain forest.
May 10, 2012 01:14PM
WarheadsSE,

Nice to know, thanks :) Even though I'm pretty used to debian/ubuntu, I'll get the change to try Arch next time :) I went the debian way maaaany years ago because I could get more help and support from the community .... being a linux noob without using debian was quite hard a few years ago!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.