Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[answered]Can someone with nsa325 test this uboot?

Posted by bobafetthotmail 
[answered]Can someone with nsa325 test this uboot?
January 25, 2017 03:39PM
EDIT: bodhi answered my question, no testing is needed anymore.

I'm adding support in LEDE for the NSA325 (basically cloning bodhi's patches and adapting them a bit to work into LEDE's build system), and as you know the NSA325 has a hardware watchdog.

I tried to make a very barebones uboot so it can be loaded with kwboot, but.... my nsa325's hardware watchdog seems to be dead for good. It does not show up and I can't trigger it in any way.

It used to reset the board just after startup, making the job of kwbooting harder, but now it does nothing.

So, is there someone out there that has a NSA325 (v1 or V2) that has a hardware watchdog that is still alive? Could you try kwbooting the uboot I attached to this post?

This is the page for kwbooting http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?3,7852,7852

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2017 05:29AM by bobafetthotmail.
Re: [testing]Can someone with nsa325 test this uboot?
January 25, 2017 03:54PM
bobafetthotmail,

> I tried to make a very barebones uboot so it can
> be loaded with kwboot, but.... my nsa325's
> hardware watchdog seems to be dead for good. It
> does not show up and I can't trigger it in any
> way.

I've killed it :) when you use my patches it cannot run at all. Let me look at my notes for a simple mod to reactivate it.

Update:

BTW, why do you want the watchdog activated?

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 04:17PM by bodhi.
bobafetthotmail-dummy
January 26, 2017 07:56AM
(i'm using a dummy account as I'm not at home and I don't feel like logging in through this PC)

> BTW, why do you want the watchdog activated?

I don't really want to activate it, I want to make sure that whatever makes it stay dead in my nsa325 will keep it dead also in others so people can recover their nsa325 through kwboot fine just as I can.

I remember that a year ago, to kwboot a new uboot on nsa325 I had to use a small uboot (300KiB, not 450 like new ones) because otherwise the watchdog would reset the board.

So I wanted to make a dedicated LEDE uboot for such recovery situations. But All uboots I made based off your sources get transferred successfully even if they have a normal size.

I tried loading a random image for another device, and the watchdog resets the board 2 seconds after boot up as normal.

I am suspecting that the hack done in the nsa325 kwbimage.cfg is working when kwbooting

+DATA 0xFFD10100 0x00004000
+DATA 0xFFD10104 0xFFFFBFFF

According to Moonman's uboot sources, this pulls up the GPIO14 and then sets that pin as output, manually.

Can you confirm that this file is read and executed before the uboot is fully loaded? Because that's the only explanation.
January 26, 2017 01:09PM
Ok, I'm back at home and I confirm all bobafetthotmail-dummy above said. :)
January 26, 2017 03:17PM
bobafetthotmail,

> I don't really want to activate it, I want to make
> sure that whatever makes it stay dead in my nsa325
> will keep it dead also in others so people can
> recover their nsa325 through kwboot fine just as I
> can.

That's why I said I need to look at my notes to see what's the most friendlay way to reverse this :) there are a few different ways to activate/deactivate the watchdog. And you can activate/deactivate it at will in u-boot console.

Yes this was what I implemented in kwbimage.cfg:

DATA 0xFFD10100 0x00004000
DATA 0xFFD10104 0xFFFFBFFF

In my previous version for NSA325 u-boot, gpio 14 was used in the early init code (nsa325.c) This ensured a small u-boot image would start and run soon enough before the watchdog barks when we run kwboot (if it was in NAND then it always have enough time).

And yes, the DATA statements inside kwbimage.cfg are always executed before u-boot image is loaded.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
January 28, 2017 05:28AM
Ok, thanks for confirmation. :)

Since you gave me a definitive answer, I don't need testing for this anymore (nor to make a lighter uboot), can you close this thread?
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.