Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1 USB-Stick for 2 Dockstars?

Posted by LarsRosen 
1 USB-Stick for 2 Dockstars?
August 26, 2010 02:33AM
Hallo,
i used your debian install script on my Dockstar to install it on a usb stick.
but if i plug this stick on an other DS it dosn't boot from it.I must install it again
on this DS?
what is the problem?MAC?
can i change the mac?
can i see the uBoot variables?
Re: 1 USB-Stick for 2 Dockstars?
August 26, 2010 07:52AM
You need to install uBoot on the second Dockstar.

And watch out for Debian's udev stuff. On the second Dockstar, your network card will be eth1 instead of eth0 until you edit /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

-- Jeff
August 26, 2010 11:16AM
I have install uBoot with your script?

but what must i change here??

Unknown net device (/devices/platform/mv643xx_eth_port.0/net/eth0) (mv643xx_eth_port)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:10:75:1a:c1:36", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

# Unknown net device (/devices/platform/mv643xx_eth_port.0/net/eth0) (mv643xx_eth_port)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:10:75:1a:c1:85", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth1"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 11:19AM by LarsRosen.
August 27, 2010 05:39PM
I don't have any problem to use the same USB stick on multiple Dockstars. As Jeff said, you need to install uboot on every Dockstar in order to boot into the OS. The uboot is on the Dockstar, not on the USB.
bryan
October 08, 2010 11:13AM
you want to make sure that all those lines are 'commented out' (with a # in front of them).

let the system auto discover its own eth0 and life will be simpler that way.
October 12, 2010 08:24PM
I thought this problem has already been resolved. Please see http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,454,499#msg-499.
I think this is only happens on Squeeze. Lenny is fine.
Trine
October 27, 2010 07:09PM
In /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
Edit and add an # to the start of lines with 'eth' at the end like this :-

# Unknown net device (/devices/platform/mv643xx_eth_port.0/net/eth0) (mv643xx_eth_port)
#SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:10:75:1a:d5:e8", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

Then edit /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules and change the 'e' in 'eth' to a capital 'E' like this

# device name whitelist
KERNEL!="Eth*|ath*|wlan*[0-9]|msh*|ra*|sta*|ctc*|lcs*|hsi*", \

This will solve the problem of not being able to use the pen drive on different dockstars
March 19, 2011 01:17AM
I've setup a 2nd Dockstar using the Debian USB stick from my first Dockstar.

Worked great after installing UBoot as described in Jeff's script

wget -P /tmp http://jeff.doozan.com/debian/uboot/install_uboot_mtd0.sh
chmod +x /tmp/install_uboot_mtd0.sh
/tmp/install_uboot_mtd0.sh --noprompt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2011 03:51AM by bodhi.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.