Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

V4 uBoot flash - boot from Stock Pogo OS

Posted by Biohead 
V4 uBoot flash - boot from Stock Pogo OS
April 04, 2017 02:10PM
Hi all, It's been a while since I've been here! And my Goflex Net is still chugging along nicely (although it runs stock Pogo OS with optware and nothing exotic). No hardware mods, although it is powered through PoE via an adaptor - no worrying about power sockets for it!

I've just recently dug out my old V4 and thought it's time to start playing again. As mentioned with my GFN, I do like the Pogo functionality (when it works) so I don't want to lose that ability. It's been a long time since I played with uboot, and I've never touched the V4, but it looks like now it's got the capability to boot from the stock OS? I'm quite far out of the loop so it looks like I've confused myself.

Just so I'm clear in my own mind, by flashing uboot I still retain the ability to boot Pogo OS from the NAND? And I don't have to worry about the Env's (such as the pogo CEID?) being wiped from uboot which will break my.pogoplug.com functionality?

My ultimate goal would be to have debian on and SD card, but be able to remove that and boot into Pogo OS as needed. Is this doable without the need to reflash uboot each time these days?
Re: V4 uBoot flash - boot from Stock Pogo OS
April 04, 2017 06:16PM
Biohead,

> Just so I'm clear in my own mind, by flashing uboo
> t I still retain the ability to boot Pogo OS from
> the NAND?

Yes. But you do need to set it up so that it has:

- stock u-boot image saved on the stock root folder.
- u-boot envs to include a few pogo boot commands envs that are invoked during boot if the USB drive is not plugged in.

> And I don't have to worry about the Env'
> s (such as the pogo CEID?) being wiped from uboot
> which will break my.pogoplug.com functionality?

New u-boot will leave the old Pogo V4 envs untouched (it is in a diffent area in NAND), so you just need to set it up like I described above. When stock u-boot is chainloaded, it will access its own envs.

> My ultimate goal would be to have debian on and SD
> card, but be able to remove that and boot into Pog
> o OS as needed. Is this doable without the need to
> reflash uboot each time these days?

You dont need to reflash stock u-boot, if you set it up as I described above.

With all that said, if you are going to use stock OS that often, then you don't need to install new uboot. Keep stock u-boot and add more envs to boot Debian. It probably simpler to do this. It's been too long ago so I don't recall if I had kept the instruction, though.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Re: V4 uBoot flash - boot from Stock Pogo OS
April 17, 2017 03:37PM
Things really have moved on from when I was last active in this area!

Although this might just get put on hold now... I've got a Buffalo Cloudstation Pro on it's way to me (with the 1.6GHz Kirkwood) which is much more appealing to play with as there's very little info around for that!
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.