Asked for password change from rescue system on pogoplug pink
December 16, 2013 02:02PM
Hi

one could say "Huston, we've got a problem..."

I installed the rescue system (http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?4,7915,7915) on a pogoplug (pink one) and I could boot in it without problems. Then I changed the password and tried to install Wheezy.
Disabling perl caused the first problem: even after chmod -x /usr/bin/perl perl was still there (I remopunted rw before and afterwards changed to ro again).

I tried to rename perl to perl.bak (which worked - perl was not in the path anymore), but I got the following error:

This filesystem will be automatically checked every 21 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first.  Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 2048090 kB

# Starting debootstrap installation
E: unrecognized or invalid option --no-check-gpg
debootstrap failed.
See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information.
rescue:/tmp

So I changed it back and rebooted, because I thought that it might work afterwards. But now I am facing the following problem:

When logging in via ssh, I am asked to change the password, which obviously does not work as / is mounted ro. But I can not mount it as rw, as I can not login via ssh.

$ ssh root@pogoplug
root@pogoplug's password: 
WARNING: Your password has expired.
You must change your password now and login again!
Changing password for root
New password: 
Retype password: 
passwd: /etc/passwd: Read-only file system
passwd: can't update password file /etc/passwd
Connection to pogoplug closed.
$

I don't have a bootable partition on my external hdd, as the installer formated it already.

Any suggestions?

Rainer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2013 02:02PM by rkrug.
Re: Asked for password change from rescue system on pogoplug pink
December 16, 2013 09:21PM
Rainer,

Download the latest roofs (link in my signature). Put it on Usb thumb drive. Boot with it and then mount the rescue rootfs. Chroot in and change password.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
December 17, 2013 05:24AM
Thanks.

I booted into the rootfs and logged in. Which one is the rescue fs which I have to moun now? There are more then 120 under /dev/ and even under /dev/disk/bu-uuid I only get the rootfs?

Rainer
December 17, 2013 08:02AM
I simply re-installed the rescue system - working now.

Just a follow up: I assume I should change the password? Is there anything to consider in choosing the password?

Minimal length?

Thanks,

Rainer
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.