Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any possible for Pogo V4?

Posted by t3ch42 
Any possible for Pogo V4?
July 15, 2015 10:02AM
With my issues of late, I was wondering if there had been any progress or success with the pp v4. Looking at some of the listed variants, it seems to be enough room in the memory.
Can anyone confirm a working rescue or "other" running from the nand?



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2015 11:18AM by t3ch42.
Re: Any possible for Pogo V4?
July 15, 2015 03:45PM
t3ch42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With my issues of late, I was wondering if there
> had been any progress or success with the pp v4.
> Looking at some of the listed variants, it seems
> to be enough room in the memory.
> Can anyone confirm a working rescue or "other"
> running from the nand?

Definitely. I've been working on a totally new kirkwood-wide rescue system (works for all kirkwood boxes). It is working, but I have not have time to get a final version for public consumption.

In the mean time, you can run stock Pogo V4 OS as a simple rescue system.

-bodhi
===========================
Wiki
latest Kirkwood kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-kirkwood builds
latest Oxnas kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-oxnas builds
latest MVEBU Armada kernel builds and rootfs
U-Boot & Kernel Booting process
bodhi's u-boot GitHub
bodhi's corner
Re: Any possible for Pogo V4?
July 15, 2015 10:11PM
That's awesome to hear. Looking forward to giving it a go.
Are you required to flash the old uboot for the pogo stock? If so, do you lose the option of booting Debian?
I wouldn't think so. I will have to look into this.
Thanks again for some good news.
Re: Any possible for Pogo V4?
July 16, 2015 12:20AM
t3ch42,

> Are you required to flash the old uboot for the
> pogo stock? If so, do you lose the option of
> booting Debian?

No, my educated guess that stock u-boot is not required (I know my u-boot image should be able to boot stock OS). However, I recall graymanforhire has written up instruction for Pogo V4 that chainboot stock Dockstar u-boot and that run Pogo OS from NAND.

If gray is around he can post it.

-bodhi
===========================
Wiki
latest Kirkwood kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-kirkwood builds
latest Oxnas kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-oxnas builds
latest MVEBU Armada kernel builds and rootfs
U-Boot & Kernel Booting process
bodhi's u-boot GitHub
bodhi's corner
Re: Any possible for Pogo V4?
July 29, 2015 05:46PM
You should be able to run the rescue system published in this forum on the v4. I've done it in the past as a test. Modification to the uboot environment will probably be needed.

Here are the instructions bodhi is referring to for booting the default Pogoplug OS on the V4: http://blog.qnology.com/2014/07/hacking-pogoplug-v4-series-4-and-mobile.html

OpenWRT on NAND is also another possibility. The tutorial is for trunk but CC RC3 works also - http://blog.qnology.com/2015/02/openwrt-on-pogoplug-mobile.html

-grayman4hire
======================================
Pogoplug V2 and V3 Serial Connection
Tutorial - Pogoplug v4 (Series 4 and Mobile) with Linux (Debian or Arch)

OpenWRT on Pogoplug Mobile
Tutorial - Pogoplug E02/V4 with Arch Linux ARM
Hacking the Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic) with Debian

OpenWRT on Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic)
Re: Any possible for Pogo V4?
August 04, 2015 03:33AM
Maybe a dumb question. But why is this needed? If you brake something, why don't you just reinstall the OS on the USB-stick/SD-card? Or repair the install by putting the media in another computer?

What i've done is when i've damaged the installationen on the SD-card (for example), i've booted from a USB-drive instead (uboot = higher boot-priority) - with both units available at boot.
I can then do the work on the right drive booting from the other one...
Re: Any possible for Pogo V4?
August 06, 2015 03:06PM
JohnW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe a dumb question. But why is this needed? If
> you brake something, why don't you just reinstall
> the OS on the USB-stick/SD-card? Or repair the
> install by putting the media in another computer?
>
> What i've done is when i've damaged the
> installationen on the SD-card (for example), i've
> booted from a USB-drive instead (uboot = higher
> boot-priority) - with both units available at
> boot.
> I can then do the work on the right drive booting
> from the other one...

The main reason would be to be able to format, download and re-setup a new USB drive. Not everyone has the foresight to have a spare SD/USB drive already setup, or have a linux computer or go through the hassle of booting via a linux live CD. Being able to run a fsck is also nice when the usb drive is corrupted or needs repair.

It's a matter of convenience.

-grayman4hire
======================================
Pogoplug V2 and V3 Serial Connection
Tutorial - Pogoplug v4 (Series 4 and Mobile) with Linux (Debian or Arch)

OpenWRT on Pogoplug Mobile
Tutorial - Pogoplug E02/V4 with Arch Linux ARM
Hacking the Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic) with Debian

OpenWRT on Pogoplug v3/Oxnas (Pro/Classic)
Author:

Your Email:


Subject:


Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Message: