Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

U-Boot not starting after SPL

Posted by Narog 
U-Boot not starting after SPL
November 01, 2012 12:32PM
Hello all,

In advance let my apologise for my noobish question.

I have compile u-boot for my hackberry from the linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi repo, but when it starts booting i get the following message:

spl: mmc blk read err - 0
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

What i´m doing wrong? is it a problem on my SD card? (SanDisk SDHCCard class 8GB)

Here follows the full log with SUNXI_MMCDBG:

http://pastebin.com/sKjfq4aB

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2012 12:54PM by Narog.
Re: U-Boot not starting after SPL
November 01, 2012 02:00PM
Problem solved, SD card problem......
November 01, 2012 08:27PM
guys ,

hi,

once theres a final working stable nand uboot - is it possible to post an "idiots" guide (for ppl like me) to moving from stable (headless) sd card based linux to nand based ...

it would be interesting i guess as well to have the option of backing up the nand partition periodically to a blank sd card (kind of like a recovery) .. not sure if jeffs recovery covers this ?

maybe there could be a jeffs site GIT user where various forked source could be kept, that way people couple just simply xcompile (from a linux box or a linux vm) .. or use a simple set of scripts to automate

rgds

ian
November 02, 2012 03:49PM
ian,

I don't know your definition of stable. But the nand multi-uboot posted here works more consistently for me than does using mmc to boot. It is also a bit easier and safer to install than the mmc version (no dd commands are needed). The install instructions are in the readme. It defaults to booting the existing Android. You can change that in uboot.conf and boot from any of the supported devices. The only danger is if the linux install fails to boot due to problems with the rootfs. Thus you should always have a bootable mmc as a backup boot device, or a serial console, so that you can access the uboot.conf on nanda.

You can use tar or dd to easily backup the nand partitions.

As for scripts - I've been trying for a long time to encourage others to help with more scripts. That is very badly needed.
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.