Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

C.H.I.P $9 (actually $16) computer

Posted by twinclouds 
Re: C.H.I.P $9 (actually $16) computer
January 31, 2016 08:23PM
i have just ordered 3 of those... or the money they are worth playng with.
January 31, 2016 09:47PM
I agree this one is a pretty good deal. Just curious what you are going to use these for?
February 01, 2016 04:09PM
@twinclouds - nothing overly creative

I need to craft a webfilter based on squid with multiple wireless aps / advert and malware blocking and whitelisted sites on the free public side for a local business - so will be providing one and a backup unit
February 01, 2016 09:28PM
For people like me that never own any orange pi before, do I need to order the power cable/lead or I can pick it up at other place? Thanks.
February 01, 2016 11:25PM
Its power connector is a little bit odd. It is 4mmx1.7mm. I think it is the same as the one used by PSP.
Or, you can get one of this or this and solder a USB cable to it. This will probably be even better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 01:22AM by twinclouds.
February 04, 2016 11:19PM
I'm with you all in spirit, and will end up with an A10 of SOC or Android eventually (between now and Black Friday 2016), but the question nagging me to ask is, what OS are you primarily thinking?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 04, 2016 11:35PM
I prefer Debian Jessie. Ubuntu 14.04 is o.k. also.
February 05, 2016 10:27AM
@twinclouds

do you have the links to hand for downloading images for the OrangePi?

Debian and Ubuntu?
February 05, 2016 03:07PM
The images are in here. You need to use the Orange Pi PC images. The ubuntu image can be used directly. To use the Debina images need to include the right kernel files in the boot partition of the micro-SD according to the instructions given here.
Edit:
I ordered and received an Orange Pi One. The shipping was really fast. It only took 7 days from ordering to receiving!
The images for Orange Pi PC also work on Orange Pi One.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 04:05PM by twinclouds.
February 06, 2016 05:32AM
@twinclouds

Thanks for the links and particularly the feedback as to which image to use for the "OrangePi One" Thats exactly the information i needed.

I'm still waiting for mine to land, i guess its taking the long route.
February 06, 2016 07:13PM
Can someone suggest what would be the best price-to-performance mini board for 2-3 usb and IP webcams capture on a wired & wireless LAN, periodically received video encoding to avi or mp4, and recording to an attached sata or usb drive or thumb? The webcams would likely start send footage simultaneously based on motion when birds will arrive to the nest.

Would USB 2.0 or 3.0 port capability be preferred in this case, and why? I know that USB3.0 may interfere with WiFi performance. But also it ensure faster write speeds without taxing CPU more than USB 2.0. As to Sata, it appears on many such boards they solder USB-to-Sata converter chip, so writing to Sata disk gets slower than to USB2.0.

Of course its desirable to unload MP4 encoding tasks to GPU, but I haven't seen webcam capture packages that can do it, most rely on CPU encoding. And most mini PC GPU types aren't known to support hardware encoding anyway. Any suggestions here?

I'd think that Pogoplug series 4 would be ideal for the task, as display capabilities aren't must have, but using it would definitely require CPU encoding for video, thus delaying writing these videos to disk. Especially given the fact that encoding would likely be done in real time while videos are received from the webcams, so several tasks (receiving over lan, encoding, writing to disk) will combine load to CPU, possibly leading to dropped frames or entire footage.

What do you think guys? Or its a task for a more robust thin client? Can you suggest a suitable one, or give a link to a forum where mini pc hardware comparisons & usage are key topics?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 06:49AM by sambul14.
February 07, 2016 01:04AM
sambul14 I can walk a few steps of the journey with you, though I'm no expert on the little boards nor thier ability to encode in realtime.

However I too have good footage of strange birds at the feeder, including audio of pencil microphones for each of a hummingbird's wings. you should hear that in stereo. The chirps still got through so I'll have to edit that someday, but pretty cool.

As for instant video encoding to say, MOV or MP4, I can only tell you about a cheap but super cool camera I have, a Canon ELPH-115. As-is it will encode 720p on the fly with zero artifacts, but lately I found an article called Add DSLR Features to Your Canon Point-and-Shoot Digicam. With this temporary firmware you can motion detect things like lightening and probably birds. There's a temporary and permananent way to set that up, and the temp way you can use an 8GB SD card so it's not limited to a 2GB (I don't know why these limitations).

As for these Pogoplugs, I can't possibly see a single-CPU Pogoplug managing the whole operation. Maybe any of the quadcore offerings here ought to work fine and write to SD card like the Canon does. You can get a LOT of video compressed for not much space. In fact there's a $50 OrangePi Plus I'd snap up in a heartbeat if I could, just send video down gigabit ethernet and control the unit from several hundred feet away if need be.

I'll get out of your hair for now, but would love to hear what others think.

Also Monday is Chinese New Years, year of the Monkey so if you order now they're probably busy eating sea monster and the dragon ate your money...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 01:17AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
February 07, 2016 01:46AM
Fixed it for you :)

> Also Monday is Lunar New Year, year of the
> Monkey so if you order now they're probably busy
> eating sea monster and the dragon ate your
> money...

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 01:47AM by bodhi.
February 07, 2016 07:09AM
@JoeyPogoPlugE02

Thanks. I can see Elph-115 having USB2.0 port to hook to a board and no Mic, but what Linux program you can control it with over Lan, including watching footage through a web UI? What brand and model SD card allows to write MP4s in real time? Still using a digital camera is a bit heavy weight compare to IP cams, but they seems to have very efficient video encoding chips.

What GPU types currently used in these SBC are capable of hardware video encoding, and using what webcam software? I don't think it makes sense to consider now boards without USB3.0 support whether they have SATA converter or not. Of course target price range $20-30 is a bit challenging. I wonder if Odroid-XU4 is a good contender, though a little pricey? Latest Orange PI models with G-lan might also fit price wise despite USB2.0 and SATA II bridge on board.

Comparison of SBC Boards - Wiki

As to Chinese New Year, they stopped shipping about 2 weeks ago, since most local couriers picking up mail from sellers and delivering to large consolidator hubs went back to villages for the holidays. Will get back to normal in 3-4 weeks given huge backlog. That's what I was told. This is despite CN Post and large international carriers never sleep, because direct shipping through them is costly. :)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 10:20AM by sambul14.
February 07, 2016 02:10PM
@ bodhi lol yeah, thanks for correcting my lunacy

@ sambul14 unfortunately I've stuck on a bird video tangent, thinking to take this a step forward and program a drone to shadow the bird from x-feet away at all times. This could be a great project for University students, a drone that locks on to a bird and keeps its camera pointed and focused at all times, radar to keep a distance of 5-20 feet, and keep itself safe and avoid the eventual window that claims the bird. I'd predict the most hair-raising 5 minute video ever made. But in 4K quality? Plus you could have this in a neighborhood with billboards that have a chance of showing product sponsors in the background as you're chasing a bird. Sorry that tangent.

As for the ELPH-115 there are stereo mics in there, and audio gets printed with the video. The 3rd-party development software is something I noticed last week and another person tested a bit with another Canon. But this area is a great for brainstorming. Another route may be to use a tablet or iPhone type thing. I found an iPhone 5 last spring, dropped it off to the police station, but while I had it was over-wowed at the camera's beautiful imaging. My particular ELPH-115 was a gift and every Canon above that has way better image sensors. Mine I have to rely on good lighting. You may notice birds like morning and evening light, as well as right before rain, right before storms.

Another thing I've thought is to use a sick color backdrop behind the bird feeder and chroma key it so you can insert any background a lot easier, like the TV weather caster does.

So it all depends on your needs. But there's no substitute for trying everything, at least you know first hand.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 05:02PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
February 07, 2016 04:05PM
Chroma keying is not that easy in practice with simplistic software as it looks in TV Studio done in hardware. As to bird chasing with a drone, it can produce unexpected results, since the bird will try to fly away from the drone, and they are very efficient at maneuvering in the air. I guess your drone may not survive the chase. :)

Besides, birds can sharply drop speed and park on trees that would be next to impossible for the drone. At least here nature is winning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 04:10PM by sambul14.
February 07, 2016 05:01PM
That's the idea though, to follow it for the rest of it's 5 minute, real exciting, life. I don't have the technology to accomplish this, but I can imagine what the video would look like in great detail. Maybe a Kickstarter fund to have experts do this, and give the profits to angry environmentalist groups.

Unless we could catch a bird and mount a selfie collar on it, little camera going up and having.. a bird's eye view... that would eliminate the need to -=motivate=- a bird like the previous idea...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 07, 2016 07:33PM
You would have a hard time motivating the bird to co-operate with the drone or do selfies. But you can try.. I like the profit part though. :)|(:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 07:33PM by sambul14.
February 07, 2016 11:18PM
Of course the picture below is blurry, it was taken through two planes of glass after the squirrel pulled a knife on me.
I had to sneak peanut butter out to the electrical box and wait 'till the power went out.

*That story might not be true, but it sounded good.

This part is true, that picture is a frame of a video where the squirrel really was acting like a punk, no idea what set him off. But the background is the neighbor's place and the ledge the squirrel was standing on looked especially gross that day in the sun.So I do like the idea of chroma key and don't think it would be that hard to pull off, just a 4' x 4' sheet of plywood with some hunter's florescent green or something. And as long as microphones have windscreens and are above pointing down, there's little chance of anything bad happening. Hard to filter human noise out of there in the daytime however.

So back to square one: how to make a OrangePi unit and use for camping or hikking, for high rez capture out in the sticks.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 11:30PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - Porch-Squirrel.jpg (268.2 KB)
February 16, 2016 10:47AM
well mine finally arrived - will get to play with them after the weekend
February 17, 2016 01:52PM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well mine finally arrived - will get to play with
> them after the weekend

It's an early weekend, so how's it looking? :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 17, 2016 01:58PM
i don't think i bought enough of them -

i ordered and received 3 - already two have been taken by colleagues with a third sniffing round, i have my phaser set to stun whenever he comes hear though.
February 17, 2016 04:24PM
LeggoMyEggo makes more sense than ever right now...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 17, 2016 06:42PM
I settled for now on this little devil Orange PI PC. With latest Linux images from their forum members covering all the bases and heading towards mainline, it looks like an ideal contender for my task. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2016 06:43PM by sambul14.
February 23, 2016 06:18AM
@twinclouds

thanks for the information about the dimensions of the power connector - i had a real job on finding a suitable connector and without the informatin below, i would still be looking. really glad you posted this!

twinclouds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its power connector is a little bit odd. It is
> 4mmx1.7mm. I think it is the same as the one used
> by PSP.
> Or, you can get one of
> [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-1-7mm-x-4-0mm-Ma
> le-DC-Power-Plug-Tip-Jack-Connector-Laptop-/161892
> 765882?hash=item25b18f90ba:g:JZMAAOSwsFpWTWxn]this
> [/url] or
> [url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-1-7mm-x-4-0mm-DC
> -Male-plug-socket-Charger-Power-Plug-Soldering-TQ2
> 30A5-/301674874744?hash=item463d394778:g:qZcAAOSwj
> VVVkSqZ]this[/url] and solder a USB cable to it.
> This will probably be even better.
February 23, 2016 02:49PM
Gravelrash by chance you trying a PogoE02's power supply for 5v?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
February 24, 2016 05:08AM
@joey - i see you are referencing my other post.

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?8,26069

I will be left with a couple of v2 psu's when i am done, so i will most likely repurpose the ones i remove to power the OrangePi
February 27, 2016 03:52PM
Thanks for all the Information on OPI-one, i ordered also 2 with power-to USB-strips.
25$ incl.shipping to Europe - WOW
I think thats a good price for new men toys.

PS: I´ve revised my HOW2: POGO repair with Raspi-Jtag because i found a scribal in the reset pin configuration.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2016 04:13PM by joerg_999.
February 28, 2016 05:18AM
@jeorg - thanks for the updates on you HOWTO!
February 28, 2016 05:30AM
OrangPi specific thread created

http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?6,26228
Author:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.