Re: C.H.I.P $9 (actually $16) computer
March 02, 2016 12:29AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OrangPi specific thread created
>
> http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?6,26228

As I didn't want to track dirt onto your newly mopped floor... indulge me a couple askings... I went so far as to get an AliExpress account in case I can swing a few OrangePis, I was wondering these things:

1. The model with SATA, do we know if there's sata port multiplication possibilities? and
2. How's the power consumption looking?

SATA II speeds are quite fast enough if it came down to it, and even if it were split bandwidth to SATA I that's still way great. To think you could drape a quadcore computer across the back of a monitor is awesome. But the thought just occurred to me too, you might be able to take a powered USB 3 hub, like the one with switches, bus power a Pi and convert the SATA out to USB 3 and back to the hub. Those hubs have separate power supplies.

So again, starting with an OrangePi Plus you'd have a SATA to USB 3 adapter and the hub plugs into that. Ehh, sounds too good to be true.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2016 12:34AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
March 02, 2016 06:29AM
Thats right Joey - to quote a colleague "OrangePi's are awesome little buggers"
March 13, 2016 11:20PM
I'm pennies away from trying to order one, again it'll matter if AliExpress needs the deceptively-named address confirmation.

So here's the $64K question: the only glaring bottleneck as I see it, is the 100Mbit ethernet. Would one of those Gigabit to USB adapters get 30-40MB bandwidth instead of 10-ish? I mean this for a TV box, to stream your home cloud fliles DLNA.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
March 14, 2016 05:14PM
your limiting factor again is the speed of usb 2.0 and the protocol overhead on top of this. Theres no real benefit in what you suggest. think raspberry pi and its shared usb structure.

12Mb a second is a LOT of data and perfectly acceptable for streaming single streams.
March 14, 2016 10:45PM
I almost ordered it, package #5 with an Orange Pi (1G RAM), power supply and case.
(thought it had heat sink, no, but I probably have one here).

Apparently AliExpress don't take PayPal and that's where my $35 resides. If anyone knows a workaround do tell. I could use one of these to either make a comfortable neighborhood UBB server and/or a TV box, but for the money I could have a blast and then buy one a month all summer. Then again if it isn't in the cards it isn't in the cards. I'm at the point Ali-E has my shipping address and the cart has one item lol

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2016 10:47PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
November 26, 2016 08:17AM
twinclouds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I saw the news about the $9 CHIP computer
> project, I put in $16 anyway just for fun anyway.
> It arrived a few days ago. I am pretty happy
> about it. It runs pretty fast. The Sysbench
> benchmark shows it is about a few times faster
> than Pogo v4. It has wifi built in. Flashing is
> very straightforward. It is hardware based so the
> chance of brick is very low. The only issue I
> found was that the ping response is slow. Not
> sure if it is because the wifi or not. I think it
> is a nice toy to play with. It is much better
> than the "$5" Rpi zero, which you cannot buy for
> "$5" anyway.
>
If you had a MicroCenter nearby, you can place an order for a Raspberry Pi Zero US $5 + sales tax and the go to pick it up at the designated store.
Marius
December 11, 2016 11:59PM
Hi,
I was impressed at first, 2 wifies, one host one client, nice bridging, nice AP.
I tried to have a IP and Host access cam using lighthttpd + liveimage@github.
The board stops after 30 seconds and needs re-power.
'Troth' php, liveimage and the demo.sh bash were corrupted.
I ab-ized (apache benchmark) the lighthttp andno problems. Then liveimage
without a client connected works for 2 3 minutes then stopped.
Then I suspected liveimage, and I tried
ffmpeg -i rtsp://IP_ADDRESS/live.sdp -f image2 -updatefirst 1 img.jpg
This blocked the board as well. I tried on 2 CHIP boards with different power supplies
capables of 3..4 amps. Power consumption durring test was from 0.28A to top 0.45A.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.