Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This is a GNU/LInux discussion forum. Android chroot goes here.

Posted by gnexus 
This is a GNU/LInux discussion forum. Android chroot goes here.
June 24, 2012 06:12PM
Android 4.0.3 ICS runs very nice on my tablet. It plays 1080p video flawlessly on the 2160p player.

ICS for the Mele is now available. A link is on the A10 devices thread. Here is a link to the d/l page. Click on the green button.

If you want to further discuss Android on the A10 there are countless other forums which likely are better suited to your needs.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2012 10:55AM by gnexus.
Re: This is a GNU/LInux discussion forum. Android crap goes here.
June 25, 2012 01:02AM
Why use GNU/LInux instead of Android? Here is one reason:

The first thing I did on Android was remove all the extra Google apps. But guess what. Android 4.0.3 ICS still calls home to a Google server constantly. I used netstat to monitor the network connections. I used lsof to locate the offending program. It was the Android system_server itself. This is even after all Google apps, sync and backup are removed. . .

I also found a nice fast web browser to use. It is faster than Chrome, Dolphin, Opera, or Firefox. There is only one problem. Hard-coded into the browser are at least four IP addresses and domains. The browser constantly calls home to those IP addresses with your browsing history and contacts. Even if you manually delete the file with the IP addresses in it the file reappears. The network connections were verified with netstat. I did not bother with sniffing the contents. I will not name the browser, but it starts with a Q and it ends with a Q.
Re: This is a GNU/LInux discussion forum. Android crap goes here.
June 25, 2012 09:28AM
Mele A1000/A2000 Android 4.0 Image Released

Good news. But so what. I had Android 4.0.3 on my tablet from the start when I bought it. My tablet image will most likely work on the Mele boxes. Then all you would need are the TV specific APK's.
Re: This is a GNU/LInux discussion forum. Android chroot goes here.
June 28, 2012 07:23AM
Here is the chroot script to allow you to chroot into Debian or Ubuntu on this site, or whatever other Linux rootfs you have, from Android or another Linux rootfs. If you are going to use this in Android you first need to root your device and install busybox and the hacker's terminal apk's. Then you need to follow the README in the archive. In Android you do not use /usr/local/bin as the installation directory. The directory needs to be /system/bin or /system/xbin.

Once you have installed the rootfs and this script you can use VNC to get to X after you have started the xvncserver. If you have other questions about using the chroot script in Android you are probably more likely to get good answers in an Android forum.

Enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 02:59PM by gnexus.
Re: This is a GNU/LInux discussion forum. Android chroot goes here.
August 01, 2012 05:10AM
Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your great work on this Linux images!
I've been reading up a fair bit on what you guys have done. I must say that is truly impressive..

I was trying to set up the chroot environment. But the link for [url=http://download.doozan.com/a10/chroot_script.
> tar.bz2]chroot script[/url] points to a #404.

Anywhere else I can get it?

gnexus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is the
> [url=http://download.doozan.com/a10/chroot_script.
> tar.bz2]chroot script[/url] to allow you to chroot
> into Debian or Ubuntu on this site, or whatever
> other Linux rootfs you have, from Android or
> another Linux rootfs. If you are going to use this
> in Android you first need to root your device and
> install busybox and the hacker's terminal apk's.
> Then you need to follow the README in the archive.
> In Android you do not use /usr/local/bin as the
> installation directory. The directory needs to be
> /system/bin or /system/xbin.
>
> Once you have installed the rootfs and this script
> you can use VNC to get to X after you have started
> the xvncserver. If you have other questions about
> using the chroot script in Android you are
> probably more likely to get good answers in an
> Android forum.
>
> Enjoy.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.