Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OpenWRT on internal flash (guide)

Posted by megal0maniac 
OpenWRT on internal flash (guide)
February 15, 2014 02:27AM
Hi all

I've created a wiki page which details installation of OpenWRT onto the internal flash (or connected USB stick) of a Dockstar.
I spent an entire weekend trying to get this right on my own device, while it only really requires 20 minutes from start to finish.
I got annoyed with the outdated / incorrect / over-complicated instructions on the OpenWRT wiki so I wrote my own guide, which has proven to work time and time again, and is much more straightforward. Better yet, you don't need to open the device (unless you stuff-up, then you're on your own :P)
nc is used to access the uBoot console and monitor boot messages, and everything else is done from the stock firmware (or whichever distro you happen to be running from a USB drive)

I have OpenWRT installed on flash as a recovery system. I like it because of course it has a package repository, so you can install wireless drivers or filesystem tools or editors or whatever. You also have the web interface, and you can configure the LEDs to behave in a specific way to indicate that booting from USB has failed and you're now in recovery.

Any feedback is encouraged
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/dockstar_sandbox
(Note that internal links are not working, I haven't finished yet but they just point to internal wiki pages to avoid repeating common information)
Re: OpenWRT on internal flash (guide)
June 28, 2014 02:04PM
Hi,

Thanks for sharing and posting this.

I've been wanting to install OpenWRT on my Pogoplug E02. Any pointers or tips?

Thanks

gray
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.