Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So all my Thin Clients have the same IPs, domains etc. Insta-Server?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
So all my Thin Clients have the same IPs, domains etc. Insta-Server?
March 12, 2015 01:22AM
Just thinking out loud. Review: some hospital or clinical situation donated a shelf full of Thin Clients, to Goodwill. I scored 5 that work (one was fairly bricked). 3 Wyse's, a 10ZiG and one Neotek. From 300-ish Mhz to 1.2 Ghz, from 128 MB RAM to 512 MB, all with video outs. They're fairly wiped clean,and just for kicks I tried some recovery software to see what they deleted LOL Nothing left. Cool.

But they either left IPs in the connect software or that's the way it is with Thin Client. I don't know. IPs that start with like 10 or something. I tried to change them to 192.168.x.x stuff and it almost seems to connect to other machines. Using Damn Small Linux on pendrive (tnx Gravelrash), they'll definitely do web.Half of them are Windows CE and they're not so happy about easy networking.

In my feeble, workstation-oriented wire-connected mind, today I had the big aha! moment, the idea to leave the IPs as-is on the Thin Clients, and set a spare router to whatever those IPs are. Have a poor man's server upstream of the router. So you fire up a Thin Client, the network connect dialog comes up, and click on it, something special happens. Maybe it's like TeamViewer and controls a nice, fast computer. Maybe an owncloud-type media pool opens up. I dunno.

WinCE has about 5 different client methods I could remember, one being Citrix. Trying to remember. Too bad it's so late and I'm off to bed, but it's food for thought, if a bunch of clients are set for a certain IP that I could use more as the original network topology but with my own shtick, what then? Does a Domain name matter "offline"? One of the WinCE connect methods gets cocky if I don't put in a domain.

There's two reasons I ask, one, and I've wanted this for years, setup as a mini computer lab. A 5-sided table like we had at a University. An educational table where people could learn some computer basics and have net access. Another scenario is just, workstations that do what Thin Clients are supposed to do. I don't know what happens when you click on a client's connect button to the server! I'm planning on asking my doctor next visit, to show me what that looks like, if he/she'll let me. And if all else fails, just run a light OS on them and like it LOL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 01:37AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: So all my Thin Clients have the same IPs, domains etc. Insta-Server?
March 12, 2015 04:47AM
Hey Joe
This is totally off topic and far from Linux on Dockstar however........ this may help you

http://site.arcy.com/CClassQSG.pdf

i recomend reflashing them and starting again.
Re: So all my Thin Clients have the same IPs, domains etc. Insta-Server?
March 12, 2015 01:31PM
Yeah two of my WYSEs look like that, though lacking gigabit or any wireless. And of course I'll drop in RAMs higher than 128 one of these days. The Parky Towers site is SO cool, I can't overstate how much I have respect for whoever made that site.

Other than that, I expect to devote a week or month to OS's. The Pogoplug may possibly be perfect with Arch and then use that as the pilot light that's always on.

Attaches is either my current test bench of spaghetti dinner for a robot LOL I've got to run but will be back..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 01:33PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - Wires800.jpg (422.6 KB)
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.