Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

swappiness?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
swappiness?
March 26, 2015 11:39PM
I can't speak for Pogoplug users, or Arch nor Debian, and in my very limited Linux use over the years, it's a big deal when i set swappiness properly. Even Mint, I installed that on USB stick (and DSL) for use in Thins and desktop computers and notice it's way better when swappiness is set to 1. On the Mint it was originally like 60-70 in that area, and I'd read to set swappiness to 10 if you have like 2 GB RAM or 1 if you have less than that. I went with 6 and so far it's a hair snappier.

But Debian and Arch on Pogoplug, I hadn't checked. So worst case scenario this is a Note To self to check in the morning, but if you know otherwise, have theories, insights or revelations, I'll hit the ground running first thing LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 11:41PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: swappiness?
March 26, 2015 11:46PM
Joey,

> On the Mint it was originally like 60-70 in
> that area, and I'd read to set swappiness to 10 if
> you have like 2 GB RAM or 1 if you have less than
> that. I went with 6 and so far it's a hair
> snappier.

Keep it at 60-80 for the plugs, and use zswap to make it better. Swappiness 1-10 trick don't apply to servers, it is good for GUI based system because the responsiveness, but would make it worse for headless servers, IMO.

PS.

I think you will see nice improvement with zswap. Of course it is headless, so to see the difference in memory being swapped out/in you will need to run this command
vmstat 5

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2015 12:02AM by bodhi.
cool!
March 27, 2015 12:21AM
Thanks muchly, I'll get on it first thing
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.