Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What do you require from me to support this device?

Posted by Gravelrash 
What do you require from me to support this device?
January 24, 2016 08:01AM
I'm finding it harder to get low cost plug devices, and given the availability of the below devices on the bay-of-e am considering purchasing a couple as they are Marvel Kirkwood based devices.

if it is possible to include this device, what do you require from me (when I actually go ahead and purchase it based on the feedback here) I intended to do this last year. I bought one then a colleague needed a thinclient so it went to a new home before i got round to playing with it.

Device overview
http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5325/index.shtml

device documentation (trouble shooting guide)
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01940143

EDIT : Im looking for updated uboot, kernel and rootfs - if i wanted to go full debian i could follow this link
http://41j.com/blog/2011/10/hp-t5325-thin-client-hacked-to-full-debian-system/

EDIT : Link to Debian Discussion to maintain consistency
http://forum.doozan.com/read.php?2,25473,25473#msg-25473

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 01:04PM by Gravelrash.
Re: What do you require from me to support this device?
January 24, 2016 09:02AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm finding it harder to get low cost plug
> devices, and given the availability of the below
> devices on the bay-of-e am considering purchasing
> a couple as they are Marvel Kirkwood based
> devices.
>
> if it is possible to include this device, what do
> you require from me (when I actually go ahead and
> purchase it based on the feedback here) I intended
> to do this last year. I bought one then a
> colleague needed a thinclient so it went to a new
> home before i got round to playing with it.
>
>
> Device overview
> http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/hp/t5325/index.s
> html
>
> device documentation (trouble shooting guide)
> http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?
> docId=emr_na-c01940143
>
> EDIT : Im looking for updated uboot, kernel and
> rootfs - if i wanted to go full debian i could
> follow this link
> http://41j.com/blog/2011/10/hp-t5325-thin-client-h
> acked-to-full-debian-system/

It does look very promsing. A pretty standard Kirwood box. So great probability for me support it fully like other boxes.

1. Connect serial console.
2. Get the bootlog
3. Try UART booting with latest sheevaplug uboot .

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
January 24, 2016 09:30AM
I would probably jump into bandwagon when Bodhi has a version of uboot that can support booting other OS internally and/or externally.
January 24, 2016 08:29PM
habibie Wrote:
> I would probably jump into bandwagon when Bodhi
> has a version of uboot that can support booting
> other OS internally and/or externally.

Some OSs require a BIOS though and Gravelrash's current model never had one.

Also I can't say enough kind words about ParkyTowers, what an incredible resource and advice. The only thing I'd add is to avoid Wyse ThinClients, because they fail without warning (actually he already said that) and 10Zig ThinClients are incredibly cool - my favorite Thin and I'm on it right now.

For Gravelrash, I have no idea what exact computer will scratch your itch, but at last I found one that starts where a Pogoplug leaves off: a QuadCore, fanless Celeron motherboard w 2x SATA but enough expansion ports for many SATAs. . Takes up so little juice it's more a mater how many watts your RAM or hard drives take up. I'm strongly considering it. It's from NewEgg (address confirmation which is really bank account confirmation) but I could open a Credit Union account for $5 if they want to get technical about it.

I used to loathe Celerons, with good reason, but even dualcore Celerons are a different animal. Quadcore is light enough for energy savings and enough schnort for much faster hard drive(s) access.

* Another thing too, I was just reading that millions of Linux boxes are screwed because of an Intel processor vulnerability, which is automatically another reason to go with the ThinClients which don't seem to use regular 'ole mass-produced consumer CPUs for some reason.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2016 11:27PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
January 25, 2016 06:48AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> * Another thing too, I was just reading that
>
> millions of Linux boxes are screwed because of an
> Intel processor vulnerabilit
y, which is
> automatically another reason to go with the
> ThinClients which don't seem to use regular 'ole
> mass-produced consumer CPUs for some reason.

Its not such an issue as you believe.
"Exploiting it would let a user with legitimate or lower privileges gain root access and compromise a server or PC; however, the attacker would need to gain local access to the server first."

The key here is that the attacker would need local access to the server. if the attacker has already got to the point where they already have physical access to the device, its game over anyway.
January 25, 2016 12:53PM
bodhi Wrote:
>
> 1. Connect serial console.
> 2. Get the bootlog
> 3. Try UART booting with latest sheevaplug uboot .

@bodhi - Order placed, as soon as i have the output i will upload it, do you recomend it attach it to this thread or create multiples in the uboot and debian section?
January 25, 2016 01:24PM
That HP is a cool little box you got though - any plans for use?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 25, 2016 02:03PM
January 25, 2016 03:19PM
I'm trying to wrap my head around that still, but am having a nice laugh learning about things like an oinkcode or oinkmaster.conf; dang!

Uhm... by chance would this also work on XAMPP and not just LAMP? I was going to load XAMP on Pogo 4 just to indulge some Wordpress learning.

* Gravelrash, last time you mentioned a 10MB hub for snort I was just leaving to go to Goodwill, where they had one for like $1. Linksys 10MB.

You still need more than one NIC for the Snort box though right? I'll try not to bug you and get stuff done here, but always welcome what you've got to say.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 05:29PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Attachments:
open | download - XAMPP-setup.png (141.3 KB)
January 25, 2016 04:04PM
Gravelrash,

> @bodhi - Order placed, as soon as i have the
> output i will upload it, do you recomend it attach
> it to this thread or create multiples in the uboot
> and debian section?

Please create one new thread "HP T5325 Thin Client Debian" in Debian section. I think we can boot this with the sheevaplug u-boot, hopefully with kwboot. Once that works, I'll create a u-boot build and start a new u-boot thread, like we did for NSA310S.

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 25, 2016 04:52PM
@Gravelrash,

This device looks interesting for everything else but NAS (It has only 100MB ethernet) Do you plan to get SATA port working with soldering works to install the header?

-bodhi
Forum Wiki
January 25, 2016 06:17PM
@bodhi
I will create the new thread for this discussion when the box arrives, i agree with you that this is good for many uses other than NAS due to the network bottleneck. I don't envisage adding SATA to this particular one, I will look into whats necessary to add sata and see how i go.

@Joey - Yes it will need more than one interface and a usb-to-ethernet adaptor will be perfectly adequate as per this link,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-To-LAN-RJ45-Ethernet-10-100Mbps-Network-Card-Adapter-blue-for-PC-/291096440596?hash=item43c6b32f14:g:C58AAOSw9N1Vk1mY
January 25, 2016 10:56PM
For a USB2NET, I would prefer to get one that uses the AX88772B chipset which will give a much better throughput.
January 25, 2016 11:57PM
That's a thought. Still, $2.50 shipped here in the States is a great deal too. Gigabit/USB3-hub versions for $12 here too.

What's beyond me is why they don't have it in reverse: female USB for your storage to plug in, plug the RJ45 into router, instant NAS on any router. Maybe a power supply in case USB needs it. Why not? WHY NOT?

Oh well, even so now it's too late, I have four routers with USB slots and four Pogoplugs. People at the thrift stores around here don't know gigabit exists because all they see are 100 mbps network boxes and my tracks in the snow toward a car that isn't there anymore. j/k I'm not that bad.

Snort though, it's only a matter of time before I have some kind of servers going, and it's pretty serious out there the idiots who want to infiltrate people's stuff. I have a known, excellent firewall in Windows (Net Limiter 4) and don't feel secure much at all. There's too many indications of strange things happening - for instance - I can't tell you how many times i turn off the DSL and seconds later one of those robo-calls ring the telephone. I suspect it's regular government auto probing like the reports of white planes not too long ago. I don't take it too personally. But I'll share something, I have a viper of a sister who is a cop, a narcissist and finished up her fourth divorce lately, is known to visit the Spy Store, and of course I think for sure she'd try to get into my stuff. For people like her it's wise if I learn Snort. I'm serious when I say it may save my life, because I'm accustomed to checking email and new stuff is checked as already read.Snort won't verify that, but still...

Also it's worth noting for those who don't know, there's many a printed book about Snort at Amazon. I'll take it slow and hope to be up to speed by mid March. Thanks again gents (& ladies if you're out there), you increase the quality of my life.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 01:21PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
January 26, 2016 05:51AM
@Joey - you mean something like this......
http://s732.photobucket.com/user/mr_battery/media/1_Adapter/3_18.jpg.html , just do a search for "female" usb to RJ45 and you would be amazed what turns up.

@hahibe - Thankyou.
January 26, 2016 06:02AM
I have had a look as to whats involved in adding SATA to this unit, and i dont think i will be attempting it. I REALLY dont like soldering SMD's .

So if anyone is interested, here is a link on how to do it.
https://spritesmods.com/?art=t5325_satapex&page=2
January 26, 2016 09:50AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
> That's a thought. Still, $2.50 shipped here in the
> States is a great deal too. Gigabit/USB3-hub
> versions for $12 here too.
>
> What's beyond me is why they don't have it in
> reverse: female USB for your storage to plug in,
> plug the RJ45 into router, instant NAS on any
> router. Maybe a power supply in case USB needs it.
> Why not? WHY NOT?
>
Did you mean like this RJ45/USB Female dongle? Well, that probably won't work, but you can give it a try report back here.

BTW, even though you can find a Female to Female USB adapter/converter, it still won't work because the device does not have a support for NAS protocol, AFAICT.
January 26, 2016 12:22PM
Some of those adapters are made in order to have USB pluggability on the ends and use the excellent CAT5(e+) cabling to go long stretches, but that's a lot of great food for thought.

I'm also amazed at how people can solder up such tiny connectors. Seems like every cool electronics board has unused SATA dots on the circuit boards, but I'm not up to speed what solder irons those techs use when they're doing lots of it. The sprites.com guy says he uses a Weller WTCP-50. I'll have to keep my eyes out for something like that, if nothing else garage sales in the spring. That and a nice magnifier on an arm and that'd probably be worth it.

You know my tendency to go off topic, but do you guys have a decent soldering iron in mind for the real little stuff? You could turn real junk into real treasure. Seriously, if pin-by pin under a soldering iron it was safe and reliable to drop a 512MB or 1GB RAM into a Pogoplug, you'd spend an evening doing it wouldn't you? I would. Easily.

Think about it, there's no reason not to have robo soldering stations with a robot arm and does extremely tiny spots. The Raspberry Pi Weller robo arm attachment. 1. Zoom in. 2. Those 200 RAM pins, align and solder those? 3. Yes.

But I ramble...

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
January 26, 2016 01:45PM
@joey

Education time :)

You need something like this and a selection of tips ranging from .5mm to 3mm
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/60w-mains-lcd-solder-station-a55kj

EDIT : and a "magnifying microscope"........... you can make one from an old usb web camera

EDIT : or the true professional uses liquid solder and a heatgun

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 01:48PM by Gravelrash.
February 15, 2016 04:26AM
The same guy you linked did hack that box hard to get a pcie interface by removing the (probably useless) GPU https://spritesmods.com/?art=t5325_satapex&page=3

> You need something like this and a selection of tips ranging from .5mm to 3mm
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/60w-mains-lcd-solder-station-a55kj

And a ton of solder wick. No seriously, if you solder SMD components without heat rework stations a solder wick is crucial to remove the blobs of solder everywhere.

>EDIT : or the true professional uses liquid solder and a heatgun

heatguns are for cowboys. You risk burning stuff.

Pros use hot-air rework stations that feature air temperature control among other things
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10706

Or reflow ovens (I see more people using hacked small electrical kitchen ovens, with a third party thermal sensor and control corcuitry, just to save X000$ of a true pro reflow oven that is basically the same).
February 15, 2016 04:52AM
> heatguns are for cowboys. You risk burning stuff.

you know me well :) i use a hot air paint stripper to get the big stuff off and a rework station too
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.