Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LCD USB Charger Capacity Current Voltage Tester Meter

Posted by habibie 
LCD USB Charger Capacity Current Voltage Tester Meter
March 30, 2016 01:47PM
I just placed an order for this LCD USB Charger Capacity Current Voltage Tester Meter. It looks like a much better than the one I currently have. I also saw this Digital Display 3V-30V Mini USB Doctor QC2.0 Current/Voltage/Charger/Capacity/Tester and wonder if anyone has used it. It says it is capable of measuring up to 30 Volts (on a USB port)?
Re: LCD USB Charger Capacity Current Voltage Tester Meter
March 30, 2016 05:58PM
Nice, I'll have to keep one of those in mind too - almost got from eBay and didn't quite.

Tell us something habibie, your last version, did anything really surprise you that you weren't expecting?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
March 30, 2016 10:38PM
The current one I have is this one and it only shows voltage and current. So far, it works as expected. The one I just placed an order has more information, AFAICT.
March 30, 2016 11:27PM
I'll be advised to buy similar. One thing, it looks like your fingers handling it would touch many IC pins at the same time.
For items like that, suppose you could wrap electrical tape but it'll be sticky mush first hot day, or shrink tubing and end up burning some component.
How will you handle it?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
March 31, 2016 11:13PM
@Joey,

If you are talking about this LCD USB Charger Capacity Current Voltage Tester Meter, it is enclosed in a translucent plastic case. So, no direct touch to any pins and/or internal components, AFAICT.
March 31, 2016 11:52PM
I was ready to put it on the short list until realizing it's for USB 2.0 and I should hold out for USB 3.0 because those current draws are more likely to cause problems. Looks like those are between $9 and $20 on eBay. Still it'll pay for itself quick.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 01, 2016 08:40AM
April 01, 2016 11:51AM
I'm not sure - was looking at one of them last night and a popup showed the specifications.
But... on USB 3.0 they specify a blue connector and the lack of that further makes me think this is for USB 2.0. The reason this might be important, is USB 3.0 has additional connectors. And on other other hand, I know nothing about cellphones or the numbers you'd see when charging.

Even if the one you just bought is 2.0-only, it's still a keeper... before bed last night I realized one of each: version 2.0 and 3.0 ought to be better than just one, but pizza is done and I can't think right now.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 12, 2016 08:53PM
How's that working habibie? Today I was trying to think the best way to spend the last of my current PayPal balance, and realized for all the USB stuff we all do, we're flying blind if we cant test how much power something is drawing. Particularly with the USB 3.0 hub and sata adapter that failed me lately. With all the projects we're doing involving Pogoplugs, OTG out of my tablet and soon OrangePis, I want to know exactly how much power a USB stick takes up.

So finger's crossed, this is on the way: I like how one of the reviewers said it was maxed-out and you can reset it from the back, and the actual owner's manual is in the Click to view larger image and it inspires confidence.

I still intend to get a USB 2.0 version, but either way these will pay for themselves quickly, and get high-drawing plugs into computers with nice power supplies and lightweight stuff on the battery powered.

Glad you brought the subject up habibie

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 12, 2016 10:54PM
Hello Joey,

I just received my order today and it is exactly as advertised (for USB2). I believe the ebay link you provided is the same as this one and it is for USB3. Regardless, I will probably get this QC 2.0 USB2 charger doctor in the future.
April 12, 2016 11:12PM
Too bad there's not a slide switch along the sides to see what a USB 2.0 device is drawing and compare, or even dual visuals.

Still, if the one I ordered works it'll be indispensable. Before this all I had to approximate what a USB took up was to plug my laptop into a watt meter, and you'd see it go up .5 watts.

Another thing, before I donate or throw out my lowest performing USB sticks I'll have to see what they draw. The worst ones get hot so I'm guessing a lot.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 13, 2016 09:09AM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Too bad there's not a slide switch along the sides
> to see what a USB 2.0 device is drawing and
> compare, or even dual visuals.
>

I am not sure what exactly did you mean. But, the display on the device you provided in your ebay link clearly shows the Voltage, Ampere, Watt, Data mode, and Capacity/Energy accumulation. AFAICT, it is a pretty complete system. BTW, it also comes with a Key switch to toggle between modes.
April 13, 2016 03:37PM
It's the main question I'd like an answer, is for instance, if I've got an external hard drive that's USB 3.0, and I plug it into a Pogoplug which is 2.0. Is the hard drive set up to draw less power from a USB 2.0 device than 3.0? The reason I wonder is because USB 3.0 has extra wires.

I get all excited to get my USB currents proper. JoeGeek, that's my next nick :-D

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
April 13, 2016 04:11PM
IC your point now. Honestly, I don't know the answer. AFAICT, the power consumption on the HDD ought to remain the same regardless it is connected to a USB2 or USB3 port.
May 30, 2016 01:33PM
JoeyPogoPlugE02 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So
> finger's crossed, this is on the way:
I like
> how one of the reviewers said it was maxed-out and
> you can reset it from the back, and the actual
> owner's manual is in the Click to view larger
> image
and it inspires confidence.
>

Joey,

Have you already received the above item? If so, how do you like it?
May 30, 2016 02:40PM
It starts up and looks good, but I'll wait until my clipboard is available. Which makes me think, I should make a Libre Writer template containing the outputs of the meter and repeat, print some out. Though it's not hard to write it to any blank paper either.

But the meter idea was more important to me when I thought I'd need additional mouse on the tablet using OTG, which, if anyone's not familiar means On The Go and it's the ability to plug a standard mouse or other USB device where the charging plug usually goes. The tablet supports OTG but the smartphone doesn't. What changed, was finding a bluetooth keyboard (nice one for $1.50 at St. Vinnies) and bluetooth mouse ($1.50 at Goodwill). And then, I only needed them for one minute flat to help paste in the 63-character alpha numeric network password.

But still, pretty soon anything with a USB plug here will be measured and documented. I'd prefer slightly larger font on the tester because I barely need bifocals, but once it's documented it's worth it and gives perspective.

How's yours working out?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 02:41PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
May 30, 2016 03:25PM
Hello Joey,

I noticed mine has some sort of a problem with its USB connectors. For instance, when connected to any USB power source, i.e. a smartphone charger, etc., some times it shows charging current is about 200 mA and takes about 10 hrs to fully charge my Android smartphone. However, if I wiggle (which I don't like to do so) the USB connector (on either power source and/or charging destination sides), the charging current can jump to and remain 1+ Amp. Ultimately, I may order this QC 2.0 USB charger doctor voltmeter and see if it will also give me this problem or not.
May 30, 2016 05:53PM
Sounds like my eCigarette charger, move it around and it goes from charging to saying it's full (or vice-versa).
Maybe it tricks a battery charger into some other mode. Or maybe not even battery charger but the protections so it doesn't set off a Lithium Ion battery. I've been on eCigs for two years now, and went through probably 25 eCigs (same size as a cigarette) before moving up to 1100mAh (more like a blunt) and every one of those batteries had the same behavior.

-update- the thought occurred to me, that sort of "flaky" phenomenon happens much more between major weather patterns. When the weather is good, fine. When weather is good and storm expected, that's when this phenomenon happens most obviously. When the weather is stormy/low pressure, works the best. Don't now why, if the weather has anything to do with eJuice vaporizing, but it seems both are influenced by pressure changes.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2016 01:45PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
December 11, 2016 11:25PM
Just some updates.

During the last 2016 11.11 sales, I bought some items from AliExpress as shown below. I already received and tested them. They work like the one I have, except these two have additional functions to show Wattages. The item #1 below I received looks like is for Chinese markets because some of its menu are in Chinese. So far, I like item #2 below much better.
  1. USB tester 3~30V DC Voltmeter ammeter current voltage meters capacity monitor quick charger Battery Power Bank detector US $5.01 + Free S/H
  2. 2016 LCM 2.0 High voltage USB Charger Alarm device Doctor Mobile Battery Tester Power Detector Voltage Current Meter US $6.01 + Free S/H
January 05, 2017 07:59AM
I contacted the seller of this USB tester 3~30V DC Voltmeter ammeter current voltage meters capacity monitor quick charger Battery Power Bank detector. The response I got is to toggle its key 6x to switch the original Chinese language to an English language and it works.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.