Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??

Posted by LeggoMyEggo 
Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
June 27, 2016 03:40AM
Last plug I Debianized, option never appeared in Pogoplug online console even after waiting for an hour or so. Back door method with curl command didn't work either. Ended up doing the conversion via serial console.

Anybody else have the same experience?

LeggoMyEggo's Google Plus Profile



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2016 03:44AM by LeggoMyEggo.
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
June 27, 2016 03:57AM
you are not alone in this Leggo - it seems that others have experienced this too
I bought a Seagate Go Flex device in May 2016. After I registered the device I tried to enable SSH access by official method (i-e from Pogoplug website) but sadly now under the security settings on webpage there is no option to enable SSH.

So I searched on internet and found a back door method, which I would like to share with you people. (Credit to some awesome people out there).

From any Linux computer (on same network as your Pogoplug) run the below curl command.

curl -k “https://root:ceadmin@[PogoplugIPAddress]/sqdiag/HBPlug?action=command&command=dropbear%20start”

Replace [IPAddress] (including brackets) with your PogoPlug’s IPAddress.

e-g curl -k “https://root:ceadmin@10.10.10.10/sqdiag/HBPlug?action=command&command=dropbear%20start

That may spit out some strange looking text, that’s it you got it.

After that you can login to your Pogo plug device from any SSH client using
User Name: root
Password: stxadmin (if that don’t work try ceadmin)

Note that the backdoor method is not persistent (SSH access not available after a reboot).

refer to http://blog.qnology.com/2014/07/hacking-pogoplug-v4-series-4-and-mobile.html

Cheers
Lal
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
June 27, 2016 04:59PM
Curl command backdoor did not work on Pogoplug Pro/V3 for whatever reason. Like I said, only way to update u-boot was with serial console. At least that was my experience.

LeggoMyEggo's Google Plus Profile
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
June 27, 2016 08:43PM
LeggoMyEggo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Curl command backdoor did not work on Pogoplug
> Pro/V3 for whatever reason. Like I said, only way
> to update u-boot was with serial console. At
> least that was my experience.

I believe it will only work for the PogoPlug Pro/V3 that already phoned home.
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
July 05, 2016 05:39PM
I just acquired a sealed PogoPlug Series 4 (POGO-V4-A3-01). It appears that I'm going to have to open it up to acquire access as the Enable SSH option no longer appears after registering at my.pogoplus.com/activate. The curl trick doesn't appear to work either. Any other suggestions before I break it open and solder on the pins for serial access?
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
July 05, 2016 07:23PM
@rayknight - soldering is the only way..
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
July 08, 2016 12:01AM
It appears the PogoPlug has abandoned SSH support. I've invested in an Armorview PL2303HX and 3 pin JST SM Male Female plug.

Is it possible to flash new uboot from serial console? If so, can anyone refer me to any resources detailing the process?

My goal is to use the serial console to get my POGO-V4-A3-01 unit to a point where I can employ Qui Hong's method of installing Arch Linux as outlined here:
http://blog.qnology.com/2014/07/hacking-pogoplug-v4-series-4-and-mobile.html

Any leads would be appreciated.

Kind regards.
samsocal
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
October 03, 2016 09:50AM
@brainflurry, any update? were you successful with Armorview PL2303HX?
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
October 03, 2016 04:21PM
I had the same experience where the curl command did not work to enable SSH on a pogoplug mobile.

I bought this to connect:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T2ZR6W

I used this to install uboot and debian with modifications:
https://github.com/pepaslabs/pogoplug_mobile_uboot_installer

I had a pogoplug mobile so this is what worked for me soldering the serial connections.
http://mhassan.me/2012/11/17/pogoplug-v4-disassembly-and-attaching-serial-cable/
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
October 16, 2016 05:50PM
I have been using this PL2303HX + a CD AUX cable (or you can get this Pl2303HX) to interface the serial port of my PogoPlug Pro to the USB port on my Linux desktop computer for more than a year without a problem.
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
November 28, 2016 01:14PM
Hi All,

I have a few speculations and observations. First off, I recently installed debian on a pogoplug E02, and I used the standard way to enable SSH (via my.pogoplug.com). So, for my E02, there was indeed an option on the pogoplug settings to enable ssh, and this was only a week ago.

However, now I am wanting to do the same with a v4 mobile, and I am seeing the same as some others in this thread, namely that the option has disappeared from the website, and the backdoor curl command doesn't work (because seemingly https doesn't work?). I will add that I plugged the v4 mobile in, gave it internet access, and let it sit for a day...this may have been a mistake, because I am thinking that perhaps during that time, it updated itself, to a firmware that disables the backdoor curl method. Fortunately, I can test that theory, because I have another v4 mobile new in the box. I plan to disconnect my LAN from the internet, connect the v4 mobile to the LAN, and then try the backdoor curl method on it. I'll report back with my findings.

As for this first v4 mobile, it looks like I'll have to crack it open and solder a serial connection.

It seems to me, that if I can log in via serial, then maybe I can start the dropbear (ssh) service. At that point, I should be able to ssh to it and do the uboot install as usual. It seems to me that doing the actual flashing of uboot will be faster and more reliable using ssh over ethernet than over serial, thus my idea of using serial only for the purpose of enabling ssh. Am I off base or confused here?

Could someone familiar with the stock os on the v4 mobile tell me what command(s) I should use to enable ssh once I have successfully connected over serial?

Thanks for this great forum!
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
November 28, 2016 02:32PM
runner3735,

Certainly, after connecting serial console, enable SSH so that it's easier to install. However installing u-boot is quick, so it is OK to use serial too.


> Could someone familiar with the stock os on the v4
> mobile tell me what command(s) I should use to
> enable ssh once I have successfully connected over
> serial?
>

Log in to stock, and edit this file /etc/init.d/rcS to stop pogoplug daemon, and start drobear.

###/etc/init.d/hbmgr.sh start
/usr/sbin/dropbear

-bodhi
===========================
Wiki
latest Kirkwood kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-kirkwood builds
latest Oxnas kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-oxnas builds
latest MVEBU Armada kernel builds and rootfs
U-Boot & Kernel Booting process
bodhi's u-boot GitHub
bodhi's corner
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
November 28, 2016 04:01PM
Test is done. I tried the backdoor curl method on a brand new v4 mobile attached to a LAN with no internet access. The connection was denied, so it was a no go. I did not try using regular http or other ports, but it seems that port 443 is blocked.

Thanks bodhi, so if I make those changes to rcS and then do sbin/reboot, then I should be able to ssh in on the standard port as root with password ceadmin. And another silly question, what text editor is available on stock?
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
November 28, 2016 07:06PM
runner3735 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Test is done. I tried the backdoor curl method on
> a brand new v4 mobile attached to a LAN with no
> internet access. The connection was denied, so it
> was a no go. I did not try using regular http or
> other ports, but it seems that port 443 is
> blocked.
>
> Thanks bodhi, so if I make those changes to rcS
> and then do sbin/reboot, then I should be able to
> ssh in on the standard port as root with password
> ceadmin.

Yes.

> And another silly question, what text
> editor is available on stock?

vi only, no nano.

-bodhi
===========================
Wiki
latest Kirkwood kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-kirkwood builds
latest Oxnas kernel builds and rootfs
latest u-boot-oxnas builds
latest MVEBU Armada kernel builds and rootfs
U-Boot & Kernel Booting process
bodhi's u-boot GitHub
bodhi's corner
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
December 02, 2016 03:57AM
SSH isn't disabled on the website, the pogoplug.com SSL security certificate that resides in older versions of Pogoplugs is expired. Unless there is a secure SSL connection, the "Enable SSH" option will not appear on their website. That's why some people are still saying they can see the option and some are saying they can't.

The new SSL security certificate is available with the current pogoplug update.

The problem is, the update is only available through an SSH connection to https://downloads.pogoplugcom, So older devices fresh out of the box will never update. (there is no patch for it and if you contact customer service they will straight up ignore you - believe me I tried).

I find it kind of disturbing that there is an "Enable SSH" checkbox on their website but when stock pogoplugs don't connect with https it will force http. Kind of a false sense of security there and a HUGE data security risk for people that are using an older non-updated pogoplug to access sensitive files...

If you want an older pogoplug that connects to SSH for easy flashing without having to crack it open, your best bet is to roll the dice on a used one and hope it was connected to the internet between the time the security cert expired and when the last update rolled out.

Really though, I got the stuff I needed to establish a serial connection for about $5 total and didn't even bother soldering, just taped the pins on.Its not that complicated.

Quote

"When I was a little boy, I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised, the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me." - Emo Phillips

GitHub Profile



Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2016 04:09AM by november17.
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
December 02, 2016 08:36AM
november17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem is, the update is only available
> through an SSH connection to
> https://downloads.pogoplugcom, So older devices
> fresh out of the box will never update. (there is
> no patch for it and if you contact customer
> service they will straight up ignore you - believe
> me I tried).
>
The link you provided above is a 404. R U sure it is a correct link?
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
December 02, 2016 01:10PM
habibie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> november17 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The problem is, the update is only available
> > through an SSH connection to
> > https://downloads.pogoplugcom, So older devices
> > fresh out of the box will never update. (there
> is
> > no patch for it and if you contact customer
> > service they will straight up ignore you -
> believe
> > me I tried).
> >
> The link you provided above is a 404. R U sure it
> is a correct link?

Perhaps he meant https://pogoplug.com/downloads which is a valid URL.

Ray
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
December 02, 2016 01:18PM
rayknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> habibie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > november17 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > The problem is, the update is only available
> > > through an SSH connection to
> > > https://downloads.pogoplugcom, So older
> devices
> > > fresh out of the box will never update.
> (there
> > is
> > > no patch for it and if you contact customer
> > > service they will straight up ignore you -
> > believe
> > > me I tried).
> > >
> > The link you provided above is a 404. R U sure
> it
> > is a correct link?
>
> Perhaps he meant
> https://pogopl
> ug.com/downloads
which is a valid URL.
>
> Ray
>
That like is alive but no updates available.
What is the username for the SSH login and passwor for the Pogoplug Pro? i tried with "root" and is not working.
Re: Pogoplug No Longer Allows You to Enable SSH ??
March 21, 2017 06:37PM
tiny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the username for the SSH login and passwor for the Pogoplug Pro?

root/ceadmin are specified at Qui's for the E02, Pro and v4

=========
-=Cloud 9=-



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2017 06:55PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:


Subject:


Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Message: