Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Salvaging what works about a previous Linux install

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Salvaging what works about a previous Linux install
July 10, 2016 01:10PM
My Thin Client's favorite OS running off USB stick was Mint 17.3 XFCE. Months ago I had it perfected for my needs and visually it was better than Windows 7 - as perfect a font and graphic theme and everything. The only thing not up to spec was video hardware acceleration, but still - everything nice.

So a month ago it won't boot, and has error about over-current draw or something like it. I take that USB stick to the Windows machine, which has that Linux driver, and I see I can access all my files still. Back to the Thin Client, it now runs Windows7 on a USB stick, but I bet that won't last long. Watching my movies now while I can LOL

But I was wondering, are there key files I could remove that will tell me all the low down what fonts/apps/themes I used and all that? This could lead to a better understanding how to get Debian to run the same stuff, and be a major .EDU moment. I can't remember it all what was running, but Iron browser, 4K Video Downloader, even an old Windows game I loved (since '98) running on Wine, and so many useful apps I got a lot done in the dead of winter.

Stuck in the ditch; help a stranded auto pilot?

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Salvaging what works about a previous Linux install
July 10, 2016 02:38PM
Joey,

Stick with Linux Mint for your Thin Client. I trust Clem and the gang to give me a near perfect solution for my Intel based Chrome, Dell,or Mac laptop.

I think if you run into problem, just reinstall the system. So the rules of thumb applies: data partition shall be separated from system rootfs partition. When things are hosed, just reinstall your system partition.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
Happy Days are Here A-gaaaan
July 10, 2016 04:12PM
Ahhh, now I get the data scheme and why it's off to the side, so to speak. On Windows I'd always have everything on D or E drive and point C to it, then make the backup. Now I can't see myself successfully installing new Mint over this, but I'll takee the safe way, to copy out wha tI can and replace on the next install.

Bodhi I'm kind of surprised you're okay with Mint, because at your skill level someone like me thinks you're probably using Gentoo ala command line and braille just because you "like a challenge" LOL

Good times, good times :-)

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2016 04:12PM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Re: Happy Days are Here A-gaaaan
July 11, 2016 11:57AM
Joey,

> Bodhi I'm kind of surprised you're okay with Mint,
> because at your skill level someone like me thinks
> you're probably using Gentoo ala command line and
> braille just because you "like a challenge" LOL

:) I just like what the Mint team did in making a Linux desktop so user friendly and enjoyable for normal users. I could have built a Debian x86 system from sources, but really that would be just reinventing all the wheels. And then I have to maintain all Linux laptop/PC my folks use, and then I won't have any time to hack embedded Linux devices :))

As a side note, my HTPC is an Acer Revo 360 running XBMC/Kodi under Win7 Pro. I think that explained my whole POV.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2016 12:00PM by bodhi.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.