Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ethically Optimal Hardware Source?

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Ethically Optimal Hardware Source?
July 12, 2016 02:07PM
It's one thing if we're at a thrift store and re-purpose hardware that we later find was made under human rights violations - after all, we're using it to bring awareness to the problem. I'm new to this area, I'm not a member of Greenpeace or something, rather late to the table to learn what Apple/Foxconn does to their workers - let's just say, when your landlord installs anti-suicide netting outside your apartment, maybe something's wrong.

YouTube video: Suicide Netting: https://youtu.be/Qibxm52y1v8

Recently I wrote my feelings about Apple somewhere, and was harshly rebuked by someone saying it's not Apple, but Foxconn, and these are the companies who do business with them:

Acer Inc.
Amazon.com
Apple Inc.
BlackBerry Ltd.
Cisco
Dell
Google
Hewlett-Packard
Huawei
InFocus
IBM
LENOVO
Microsoft
Motorola Mobility
Nintendo
Nokia
Panasonic
Sony
Toshiba
Vizio
Xiaomi

As for me, and whatever computer hardware I buy in the future, it's pretty hard to get around these names, and that's not to even say Foxconn is the worst, as we don't know what we don't know. But is anyone up to speed with out little SOCs and whatnot, to know the least amount of suffering when into the design and implementation?

I mean, if Marvel is better than something else, sure I'd buy differently. No Apple for me though, though I'd struggle to refuse a hand-me-down.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Ethically Optimal Hardware Source?
July 14, 2016 07:23PM
Ahh c 'mon gents, nothing? I didn't mean it like when they said Kentucky Fried Chicken had chickens not treated so well. No one expected the chickens to have a limo ride to an all-you-can-eat buffet, then little chicken pedicures on the way to a chicken masseuse who cracked their backs then lodged them in a 5-star hotel awaiting the month day they.. fell, yeah, fell. Because killing chickens isn't a very nice thing to do if you're saying you're nice to them... That's why they call them Buffalo Wings, because no one cares about Buffalos if it came right down to it. Walking a field at night, a chicken isn't going to head-butt you into the 10th dimension, so we look out for those little unarmed birds. Right? Buffalo Wings... yeah that sounds neutral.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
July 15, 2016 03:09AM
This is a hard issue :)

We should not measure ethics, labor standards... in a American centric point of view. Cultures are very different.

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 05:17AM by bodhi.
July 15, 2016 05:04AM
I'm British, I don't discuss politics or ethics on a forum aimed at operating systems and hacking. Unless they relate to the politics and ethics of Free Software

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 05:05AM by Gravelrash.
July 15, 2016 05:16AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm British, I don't discuss politics or ethics on
> a forum aimed at operating systems and hacking.
> Unless they relate to the politics and ethics of
> Free Software

Point taken!

-bodhi
===========================
Forum Wiki
bodhi's corner (buy bodhi a beer)
July 15, 2016 11:09AM
Gravelrash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm British, I don't discuss politics or ethics on
> a forum aimed at operating systems and hacking.
> Unless they relate to the politics and ethics of
> Free Software

Sounds politically correct and ethically sound :-)
After all, I don't have an Apple device nor do I eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken anyway.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.