Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Doomsday Wireless Neighborhood Server

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Doomsday Wireless Neighborhood Server
September 05, 2016 03:27PM
I wonder if I could interest you all to brainstorm a neighborhood server for the same reasons they store water and beans underground. Experts have cautioned for many years we're vulnerable in a number of ways dealing with power grid and DDoS and everything else.

The idea would be to have a wireless system that covers a large neighborhood or nice swath of country out in the sticks, and has a message board, and alternately extras like instant messaging (maybe IP phone), share stuff and all that. This could work right now if a neighbor lost their current internet connection.

The criteria calls for power supplied by the most probable source that will be working, which might be 12 volts. Many routers run at that. So a Pogo 3 with a router might make sense. In addition, there are these cute little wind generators at Menards I've got on my mind, where the power grid could be off but you could do a lot of stuff with fan blades on the roof and a few car batteries to store power > invert to 120v.

Go ahead, brainstorm something! Could just scrap that and go door to door, talk to the neighbors, but this might evolve into a neighborhood watch program with cameras, which could also keep a neighborhood safer if all the neighbors agree it's good.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
Re: Doomsday Wireless Neighborhood Server
September 05, 2016 03:38PM
it has been done already
September 05, 2016 03:42PM
I didn't mean to go from "contacting neighbors" to "police state surveillance", but what are you saying then?
Even without Doomsday it seems a good idea to get an enhanced LAN going.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-
September 05, 2016 04:22PM
September 06, 2016 03:19AM
mesh wifi networking https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_networking is what is alive and put to use for that currently, a bunch of such projects use derivatives of openwrt (i.e. custom firmwares for routers adding custom functionality, wifi mesh packages are available in openwrt too).

You just need a bunch of supported wifi routers and a suitable power source for them.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.