Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reaper (awesome DAW) ported to Linux

Posted by JoeyPogoPlugE02 
Reaper (awesome DAW) ported to Linux
September 18, 2016 10:08AM
Proof is here at Land O Leet:

Many people already had it running on WINE, but there's a need for Nativity :-)

For those who don't know, Reaper is a worthy alternative to ProTools, goes way beyond it with the exception of ProTool's proprietary plugins such as RTAS and AAX.

Reaper is authored by Justin Frankel, and is so well documented (in spite of being updated fairly every day) there are video tutorials everywhere and a genuinely nice user forum.

So what can you do? Run virtual instruments and the majority of audio plugins, edit audio in the highest quality, minor video editing, record straight to flac format and... process farming over LAN and even online collaboration. The list is very long.

But, for anyone wanting to monitor the audio that you're recording IN, there's always a delay (internally it's compensated, so I'm only talking about immediate monitoring whilst simultaneously playing other tracks). On my Windows machine with a Fireface 800 audio IO, it's so low of a delay that it's the same as a microphone being three feet further away, in the 2 ms range. But that's a quadcore desktop.

On the Linux side, this might be a lot "better", due to the octa-cores everywhere. I see the light, and will be looking for octa-cores with 2G RAM at least and Gigabit.

Lastly, I paid $60 for my Reaper license 5 years ago. It covers all my Windows machines, a Hackintosh and now probably Linux. So just know there probably is price, but another thing is it's fully functioning anyway, just has a nag at startup if it's not registered. This too is cool so you know it's not going to ever fully fail you out in a pinch, Murphy's Law and all.

Wondering if anyone knows of a great Linux-loving audio interface that's got that sweet spot of price and pristine? My Fireface doesn't have proper Linux drivers so something else might be needed. You NEED a good preamp and A/D to use pro microphones.

=========
-= Cloud 9 =-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 11:43AM by JoeyPogoPlugE02.
Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.